Ride a Cannondale - Risk your life

Think Bike

It looks cut, carbon splinters. Eish.... JRA....

I'm glad someone actually mentioned this. That does not look like the failure of a composite product. No fibrous endings from the photo. Could the OP post a close up of those broken ends?

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm glad someone actually mentioned this. That does not look like the failure of a composite product. No fibrous endings from the photo. Could the OP post a close up of those broken ends?

Yes, so I thought as well, until another chap snapped his carbon frame at Thaba a week or so ago, same clean snap, no tears....

Yes, so I thought as well, until another chap snapped his carbon frame at Thaba a week or so ago, same clean snap, no tears....

yikes, pics perhaps? dare i ask: brand of bike/fork?

was thinking of this type of failure:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_uDEV4tFXYVM/SCOKUQRedQI/AAAAAAAAAGo/C3PDkjyRlzQ/s1600/DSCF3295.JPG

This however, was from a well used fork, bontrager though, not crackendale. Maybe the more sudden failures are cleaner.

Edited by Dr Snuggles

Hmmmm as many say, i think there is some details being left out....

The fork won't "Just brake".

THIS looks more like a crash to me?

Clean break in the middle??

Are you sure you did not connect that side walk square head-on?

I have been riding Dales for the last 3 years. I had a Super Six and never had a days problem with it.

I also ride the Slice and the Scalpel.... and no issues.

If this is the case.... only you will know, but i dont think it fair to bash Omnico or the brand on a forum like this.

I for one is sceptical about the facts here.

Maybe your ego is a little brused for making a rookie mistake. so the easiest thing to do is blame someone else or the brand?

Edited by TriGuru76

maybe the OP needs some slack: been going through a website dedicated to carbon fibre failures (loads of love there :P ), and it seems quite a few folks have had sudden failures without crashes. One guy in particular said he's bike failed after hitting a transition from a descent to an uphill.eek.gif

anyway, seems those clean breaks are quite common and happen elsewhere on CF bikes. thta's the roll of the dice it seems with CF parts.

Again the whole debate about CF failures comes to the top, please people research the material, do you think Boeing and Airbus would make their wings out of carbon if it was "prone" to failure? book a composites course at AMT composites and find out...take any broken "failed" carbon component to them and they will most likely tell you there was an impact/stress induced failure...

Again looking at that bustedcarbon.com site 99% (guessing figures) of the people say that they crashed first before the carbon broke...

skinnyone: while u on that course, take particular attention to the testing criteria applied to aircrafts, and then revisit your analogy about failures on bikes versus those on airplanes.

Spit happens, this is probably one of those instances. CF is not a panacea to all things breakable, as your second generalisation pointed out that 1% dont suffer impact prior to failure. Anyway, the OPs more pissed he didn't get some proper loving from whomever he is dealing with.

Edited by Dr Snuggles

I'd be pretty pee'd off too if my bike had sudden catastrophic failure. A cannondale is not a BSO, PNP special, you are paying for "quality" apparently.

If we flick over to the FAKE Pina thread you will see people all over saying how "if you buy the real deal you getting a better bike", "its the R n D you paying for!" , "these Chinese frames will break"...

Well what are their answers now?

Oh it happens, 1%, blah blah blah...

I was seroiusly considering the super six over a Colnago C59, spoke to a dealer in the UK Maestro Cycling and he put it bluntly when I asked about warranties. 'Son, Colnagos don't just break they are made to last first and foremost not like the other frames made in China and Taiwan' Sold hundreds of C59 not one come back....warranties are something the american companies instituted as their 'lightweight' frames dont last.'

I have seen many older version Cannondales on the side of the trail, and now their super duper Evo 'shatter six' seems to have similar problems.

Thank you for making my decision I rather have the extra 300grams of carbon lugs and save on the dental work, post crash.

Goodbye Cannondale, hello Colnago.

Just got myself a SuperSix 3 and love the bike, hope the CF hold up as I plan to do some seriouse amount of k's this year with her.

I was seroiusly considering the super six over a Colnago C59, spoke to a dealer in the UK Maestro Cycling and he put it bluntly when I asked about warranties. 'Son, Colnagos don't just break they are made to last first and foremost not like the other frames made in China and Taiwan' Sold hundreds of C59 not one come back....warranties are something the american companies instituted as their 'lightweight' frames dont last.'

I have seen many older version Cannondales on the side of the trail, and now their super duper Evo 'shatter six' seems to have similar problems.

Thank you for making my decision I rather have the extra 300grams of carbon lugs and save on the dental work, post crash.

Goodbye Cannondale, hello Colnago.

You can doooo ittt!!!!

Just got myself a SuperSix 3 and love the bike, hope the CF hold up as I plan to do some seriouse amount of k's this year with her.

Congrats!

They're good bikes.

It does not seem like the OP is moaning about the replacement of the fork if you note the "thanks" in the post. He is looking for some reassurance that his face won't be erased by tar again. I would also rather put my trust in factory figures than the opinion of brand groupies.

That said, I am seeing a Cannondale super six in my future.....I like it plenty!