Tokai tree felling: Snake trails

(Deon)

Trees???

Ha ha, the back garden.. don't think there are any trees left in the front.. not anymore anyway??

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ha ha, the back garden.. don't think there are any trees left in the front.. not anymore anyway??

I think Rufus has taken care of the ones in the back garden as well...unsure.png

• 4 months later...

I've bought some aerial survey time and spent some quality time with Dan from iRide getting the files into a working format. These are just screenshots to res is not the best.

post-13110-0-40554400-1370887858_thumb.jpg

These images have the old route mapped. The new trail will use the elevations shown quite clearly on the different views and be built for decent flow.

post-13110-0-59293200-1370888028_thumb.jpg

post-13110-0-43889900-1370888049_thumb.jpg

Mamba trail will be the "model" trail for future building on TMNP, so it has to be done with standards in place.. fortunately it won't be unnecessary since we have almost every slope and feature in this one trail that can be found anywhere. Rock, sand, steep slopes, switches and saturated ground.

I'll be bringing in machines to assist..

I've bought some aerial survey time and spent some quality time with Dan from iRide getting the files into a working format. These are just screenshots to res is not the best.

post-13110-0-40554400-1370887858_thumb.jpg

These images have the old route mapped. The new trail will use the elevations shown quite clearly on the different views and be built for decent flow.

post-13110-0-59293200-1370888028_thumb.jpg

post-13110-0-43889900-1370888049_thumb.jpg

Mamba trail will be the "model" trail for future building on TMNP, so it has to be done with standards in place.. fortunately it won't be unnecessary since we have almost every slope and feature in this one trail that can be found anywhere. Rock, sand, steep slopes, switches and saturated ground.

I'll be bringing in machines to assist..

I hope this isn't a stupid question, but how do they allocate the land to the trails? Do they just give a "rectangular" block down the face of the mountain that has been prepared for indigenous tree renewal and say you can build as you see fit? Or are there quite strict "trail density" requirements in a specific area to prevent overuse?

I hope this isn't a stupid question, but how do they allocate the land to the trails? Do they just give a "rectangular" block down the face of the mountain that has been prepared for indigenous tree renewal and say you can build as you see fit? Or are there quite strict "trail density" requirements in a specific area to prevent overuse?

It's not been a managed process while the area was used for commercial timber, but now a trail rationalisation needs to be run to gauge impact and park capacity since the plan is to restore..

MTB does for obvious reasons plot and plan the trails while TMNP will approve and stamp the spec or make adjustments for reasons pertaining to conservation. It's become a managed activity and the best we can do is to step up the game and make it a professionally driven recreation. All quite exciting.

Edited by Pain or shine

It's not been a managed process while the area was used for commercial timber, but now a trail rationalisation needs to be run to gauge impact and park capacity since the plan is to restore..

MTB does for obvious reasons plot and plan the trails while TMNP will approve and stamp the spec or make adjustments for reasons pertaining to conservation. It's become a managed activity and the best we can do is to step up the game and make it a professionally driven recreation. All quite exciting.

Well, even from the screenshots above I've clearly missed riding some of the old trails while trying to slowly meander down the ones I knew, so would love to experience the new ones.

Will there be more planned alternatives routes down the same trails with the wider open spaces, for different levels of riders? Chicken runs and turkey chutes? :)

Well, even from the screenshots above I've clearly missed riding some of the old trails while trying to slowly meander down the ones I knew, so would love to experience the new ones.

Will there be more planned alternatives routes down the same trails with the wider open spaces, for different levels of riders? Chicken runs and turkey chutes? :)

Yeah! Chicken runs aplenty, and even the big things (drops, tables etc) will be rollable to enable progression of skills. At least, that's the plan. IOW - no monster gaps, no death drops or anything like that. Drops will be rollable, but at such a level that, depending on speed, you'll be dropping it at a certain point.

Likewise with jumps. They will be "safe" in that there won't be monstrous gaps filled with spikes and dead babies. Tables, or rollable kickers onto stepped down landings etc.

All in the name of progression and fun.

Obviously we will keep a lot of the natural features, and when it is not feasible to make a jump / drop rollable, chicken runs will be inserted and signposted.

I like the idea of a flag system for chicken / extreme lines like they have in Morzine. Green for chicken line (or yellow :devil: ) and red for extreme line.

Yeah! Chicken runs aplenty, and even the big things (drops, tables etc) will be rollable to enable progression of skills. At least, that's the plan. IOW - no monster gaps, no death drops or anything like that. Drops will be rollable, but at such a level that, depending on speed, you'll be dropping it at a certain point.

Likewise with jumps. They will be "safe" in that there won't be monstrous gaps filled with spikes and dead babies. Tables, or rollable kickers onto stepped down landings etc.

All in the name of progression and fun.

Obviously we will keep a lot of the natural features, and when it is not feasible to make a jump / drop rollable, chicken runs will be inserted and signposted.

I like the idea of a flag system for chicken / extreme lines like they have in Morzine. Green for chicken line (or yellow :devil: ) and red for extreme line.

Mayhem, you guys are legends! I've never ridden it but I saw that "Pofadder" (??) section out near Grabouw on TV as part of Wine to Whales with the wooden bridges and a chicken run... now dare I dare to dream? :)

Mayhem, you guys are legends! I've never ridden it but I saw that "Pofadder" (??) section out near Grabouw on TV as part of Wine to Whales with the wooden bridges and a chicken run... now dare I dare to dream? :)

:whistling:

Mayhem makes it sound like riders heaven!

I'm dying to build my skill levels, but a lot of the features in Tokai are either basic or look like a death trap... we need some table tops and medium jumps/ drops without big ditches or thorn trees in the gaps!

Mayhem makes it sound like riders heaven!

I'm dying to build my skill levels, but a lot of the features in Tokai are either basic or look like a death trap... we need some table tops and medium jumps/ drops without big ditches or thorn trees in the gaps!

That's the plan...

EDIT: And that's what we hope to do. The trails getting attention in the future are the XC / All Mountain trails. No big ass death jumps, and no death-drops, but features that will challenge all, and can be ridden at any speed and still be technical enough for the experienced guys.

Edited by cpt armpies mayhem