Tokai tree felling: Snake trails

(Deon)

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:whistling:

That whistle seems a bit non-committal... the only reason you should not be committed is if the asylum is full!! :blink:

Guest Omega Man

Mayhem makes it sound like riders heaven!

I'm dying to build my skill levels, but a lot of the features in Tokai are either basic or look like a death trap... we need some table tops and medium jumps/ drops without big ditches or thorn trees in the gaps!

The problem here is many fold.

1. Access. Access to the mountain to do building has been limited in the past. It's better now

2. Time. as above the time to build has always been severely limited so stuff gets built in a shonky manner. Hence your deathtrap comment.

3. Build days BADLY attended. The build days are PATHETICALLY attended when they do happen so once again building work is rushed/done badly. Hence your deathtrap comment.

4. The volunteer Builders are mostly downhillers. So they are going to build stuff that excites them. If you want stuff built for you pull in on the first Saturday of the month.

5. Access to machinery. Or rather lack thereof has been a problem cos machinery isn't allowed on the mountain on weekends for safety reasons but the build days are on weekends so it's kind of a catch 22.

6. The sticks and sh!te in the gaps is so that people don't roll the jumps and destroy lips that have taken hours to build.

Guest Omega Man

There's ZERO reason why this type of thing shouldn't be happening up there. In fact Deon has promised that this is what the trails are going to look like. minus the snow. Hehehe. Hey Deon? :whistling:

post-18968-0-25463100-1370954262_thumb.jpg

post-18968-0-36060600-1370954269_thumb.jpg

post-18968-0-03457200-1370954276_thumb.jpg

post-18968-0-00047200-1370954285_thumb.jpg

Edited by Omega Man

There's ZERO reason why this type of thing shouldn't be happening up there. In fact Deon has promised that this is what the trails are going to look like. minus the snow. Hehehe. Hey Deon? :whistling:

If Deon can organise snow, then I'm definitely all for it.

Guest Omega Man

I'd prefer the ski lift you see in the first pic.

I'd prefer the ski lift you see in the first pic.

Well you both win when it starts to snow.

What are some of the thoughts re this type of construction above, just for the guys who are on this thread..

post-18968-0-25463100-1370954262_thumb.jpg

post-18968-0-36060600-1370954269_thumb.jpg

post-18968-0-03457200-1370954276_thumb.jpg

post-18968-0-00047200-1370954285_thumb.jpg

It would be a carbon29er that likes that.. how's that for irony! :thumbup:

Fun, but too manicured considering the terrain we have.

I would really like to come help if my some chance you guys have days during the week or on public hols - work ruins most weekend afternoons when you guys seem to do your stuff.

I'll volunteer for the chicken run/non-jump design team! :)

And on the first photo I love that angled contoured section - it's like the snakey section at Oak Valley or at Meerendal where you can get up some serious speed while having to negotiate the corners as fast as possible. I'll never do downhill cos I can't afford to have a serious crash but it's enough adrenalin for me!

Shush you!

Rofl. Look, some can certainly be included like massive tables and berms etc. but we have limited space and such awesome natural features it would be criminal not to use them...

Guest Omega Man

Rofl. Look, some can certainly be included like massive tables and berms etc. but we have limited space and such awesome natural features it would be criminal not to use them...

Yeah true. I'm all about using the rocks and stuff in the terrain.

The problem here is many fold.

1. Access. Access to the mountain to do building has been limited in the past. It's better now

2. Time. as above the time to build has always been severely limited so stuff gets built in a shonky manner. Hence your deathtrap comment.

3. Build days BADLY attended. The build days are PATHETICALLY attended when they do happen so once again building work is rushed/done badly. Hence your deathtrap comment.

4. The volunteer Builders are mostly downhillers. So they are going to build stuff that excites them. If you want stuff built for you pull in on the first Saturday of the month.

5. Access to machinery. Or rather lack thereof has been a problem cos machinery isn't allowed on the mountain on weekends for safety reasons but the build days are on weekends so it's kind of a catch 22.

6. The sticks and sh!te in the gaps is so that people don't roll the jumps and destroy lips that have taken hours to build.

Ya heard a fair bit from the guys on the trail on on the forum, and understand there is a whole lot of politics involved when it comes to accessibility, machinery and helping hands.

I've been to a couple builds (missed the last two with work and weather), as I realize if you want it done you need to get your hand dirty, but the last one I went to was as you mentioned, dominated by downhillers. Though the trail was a DH trail, some of the features I've been trying to build the confidence and skill to ride, some drops etc, where "repaired" but in the process made even bigger or have nasty lips and now I'll never take them as there is nothing in between to build skill with! Features are either small or just to damn big. Its not the chicken run I'm looking for.

As has been mentioned in the "Vasbyt" thread with the accident last weekend, we need to ride within our skills level. Thus I looking forward to the new style trails to build on my bank of skils so to bridge the gap toward the bigger stuff.

And I'll be there on the trail with my shovel ready to help out where I can!

Omega Man and I had a chat about some of the jumps that are not really shaped for MTB. They will be changed in due course...