Cleated or Uncleated

Creme' Boulle'

Hi Hubbers

Need your input again, I cuurently ride with cleats, but find myself not doing or pushing over some fery technical sections as i battle to get out of my pedals quick enough, especially the rough incline sections, i also find the shoes to be very slippery on wet rocks etc, so if i do want to rather run up or over rocks i slip and slide all over, i ride relatively well and ride for the fun of it but dont attempt the very technical section for above reasons, i rode with my Salamons and normal pedals and found myself attempting the more tehnical stuff not always getting through it but one foot down at times and a little push on the ground kept my momentum going, when i go to the local bike shop to ask about shoes with no cleats etc, all i get offered his technical training, as i said , i ride socially not to win, i know there is a option to have both cleated on one side of the pedal and uncleated on the other but sometimes there is no time to change sides, it seems as if you ride without cleats you are frowned upon, oh and specialized have a very cool pair of uncleted riding shoes, do i but them and use down hill pedals.

Please help Chaps..

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Simple answer: Get decent long pinned flat pedals, and a pair of FiveTen riding shoes.

If you're going to be spending money on riding specific flat shoes, don't bother with anything other than FiveTens. If you already have skate shoes, you can use them. But FiveTens really are the best.

My take is to look at the trend out there. If everybody else is doing it, there is a reason for it. I had the same issue when I started MTBing, I eventually got over it, my wife still rides with this thing you clip onto your pedal on the one side, it looks a bit funky, but makes her feel secure... Take it to a new level and challenge yourself on those technical sections.

Hi Hubbers

Need your input again, I cuurently ride with cleats, but find myself not doing or pushing over some fery technical sections as i battle to get out of my pedals quick enough, especially the rough incline sections, i also find the shoes to be very slippery on wet rocks etc, so if i do want to rather run up or over rocks i slip and slide all over, i ride relatively well and ride for the fun of it but dont attempt the very technical section for above reasons, i rode with my Salamons and normal pedals and found myself attempting the more tehnical stuff not always getting through it but one foot down at times and a little push on the ground kept my momentum going, when i go to the local bike shop to ask about shoes with no cleats etc, all i get offered his technical training, as i said , i ride socially not to win, i know there is a option to have both cleated on one side of the pedal and uncleated on the other but sometimes there is no time to change sides, it seems as if you ride without cleats you are frowned upon, oh and specialized have a very cool pair of uncleted riding shoes, do i but them and use down hill pedals.

Please help Chaps..

Go to a decent mtb shop like mikes bikes and they will help you

Depending on what cleat system you use, you can adjust the tension required to release your foot. Shimano also make cleats specifically for jump-bikes, that release even easier than the standard ones... Not that you need to go that route, as has been explained - practice and a few falls will see your problems disappear - but just explaining that there are plenty of options.

I ride with very loose cleats, as a result I get my feet out quickly. i also uncleat before a technical section and just pedal with my foot loose until I pass the section.

I unfortunately cannot help with the slippery shoes....except, walk like you are walking on eggsblush.png I am going to try stick some rubber on my shoes to see if it helps, or lasts.happy.png

I fell my arse off on wet tiles after a rainy ride on new years....still have a sore wristangry.png

the only benefit that clipless pedals have over their flat cousins is that you're connected to the bike, and as such this has previously enabled you to have a more efficient pedalling style than if you were not clipped in.

However, with the advent of newer, better designed pinned flat pedals (like the Nukeproof ...) and better adapted MTB specific flat shoes (5-10's) this advantage has been steadily worn down to the point that there is next to no advantage over the flats.

Where flats come into their own is when you are starting out, and learning how to ride a bike properly. Cleats make us lazy. Why? when jumping, instead of pumping the bike (as should be done) to get air, you can simply pull up on the pedals and the bike will come up with you. This is wrong ito technique. Likewise bunnyhopping - cleats encourage the wrong technique

If you're already more confident with flats, my recommendation would be to go for a good set of flat pedals (nukeproof proton or similar) and keep n using your solomons until you can afford a set of 5-10's. They really do make a huge diff ito comfort and grip.

And to those saying htfu and stay with clip ins - that's not really constructive. May as well tell someone who is used to a manual transmission to htfu and stay with automatic.

Depending on what cleat system you use, you can adjust the tension required to release your foot. Shimano also make cleats specifically for jump-bikes, that release even easier than the standard ones... Not that you need to go that route, as has been explained - practice and a few falls will see your problems disappear - but just explaining that there are plenty of options.

If you're talking about the DX cleats, then they're more for DH and BMX racing. Cleats for dirt jumping are a pretty bad idea.

http://www.bunneysbikes.com/product_images/k/002/dx__10922_zoom.jpg

The benefit of the DX is the platform around the cleat is stability, power transmission, and for those times when the rider NEEDS his feet on the pedals in a hurry (after unclipping) and cannot afford to fiddle around trying to clip them in.

But I don't think they clip out any easier than other Shimano models (I may be wrong, I haven't used them). Their main benefit is the additional platform. And again... dirt jumoing with cleats is not a good idea!

If you're talking about the DX cleats, then they're more for DH and BMX racing. Cleats for dirt jumping are a pretty bad idea.

http://www.bunneysbikes.com/product_images/k/002/dx__10922_zoom.jpg

The benefit of the DX is the platform around the cleat is stability, power transmission, and for those times when the rider NEEDS his feet on the pedals in a hurry (after unclipping) and cannot afford to fiddle around trying to clip them in.

But I don't think they clip out any easier than other Shimano models (I may be wrong, I haven't used them). Their main benefit is the additional platform. And again... dirt jumoing with cleats is not a good idea!

I used them. XT pedals. Ordered them accidentally. No problems. Have a look - http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mobile/MobileModels.aspx?ModelID=10969

I'm not suggesting you have to use them if you're into jumping. I certainly don't dirtjump. OP wants something that releases easier. These certainly do.

[edit: Shouldn't have said they were made specifically for dirt-jumping - rather, that some dirtjumpers use them, regardless of whether or not that is a good idea]

I ride with the DX's as shown, and they are great. BUT they don't unclip any easier than normal cleats. I also ride on flats depending on what I am doing.

As some of the guys have said, get a decent pair of flat pedals, and try to get some stiff soled mtb shoes. As you have seen, it is possible to find Mtb shoes without cleats from specialized (and Shimano). These might be cheaper than 5-10s.

The big advantage of learning to ride properly on flats is that you will learn proper technique which will make you a better rider in the long term.

Edited by nolipoli

As mentioned in above posts, yes... there is a reason most riders clip in.

That reason may be one of the following (or a combination):

• connectivity to the bike (control)
  • pedal efficiency (saves energy)
  • cos your friends do it
  • cos you like the look of disco-shoes

Control... cleats may offer a certain connectivity to the bike, but this also makes the rider lazy and form bad habbits (like incorrect bunnyhop technique). I also dare anyone to tell Danny MacAskill/Chris Akrigg that they don't have control over their bike.

Pedal Efficiency... No debate there. Cleats save energy!

Cos your friends do it... yes, most new riders go straight for cleats cos their freinds tell them to. It would be interesting to start a poll and see how many people went out and bought a set of SPD's along with their helmet, pump, etc. when they bought their first MTB.

Cos you like the look of disco-shoes... hey?! I guess everyone's fashion sense is different :lol:

As for me personally, I ride flats (a Nukeproof long pinned pedal, and FiveTen combo to be specific). I feel plenty of control. I have also never slipped a pedal and raked my shin while wearing FiveTens (touch wood).

But I do also see the benifit of cleats for pedal efficiency. So I have invested in some. Because I prefer more technical riding (not miles of district road on a sub 10kg bike), I have opted for a more weighty cleat combo, but which offers some benefits that racing pedals like egg-beaters can't.

So for those determined to stick with cleats, but want something that promotes a little more confidence. Go for a pedal with a platform (like the Shimano DX SPD, Crank Brothers Mallet, or Time Z Freeride). Then go for a SPD shoe that has a flatter rubber sole (like the Shimano AM45 or FiveTen Minnar/Hellcat/Maltese Falcon). This combo will allow you to get stability on the pedal (when trying to re-cleat), without having to wait and fiddle around while the pedal locks in.

Thanks for your constructive input, I used to ride bmx so i am very comfi that way, how much are 5, 10s.

As mentioned in above posts, yes... there is a reason most riders clip in.

That reason may be one of the following (or a combination):

• connectivity to the bike (control)
  • pedal efficiency (saves energy)
  • cos your friends do it
  • cos you like the look of disco-shoes

Control... cleats may offer a certain connectivity to the bike, but this also makes the rider lazy and form bad habbits (like incorrect bunnyhop technique). I also dare anyone to tell Danny MacAskill/Chris Akrigg that they don't have control over their bike.

Pedal Efficiency... No debate there. Cleats save energy!

Cos your friends do it... yes, most new riders go straight for cleats cos their freinds tell them to. It would be interesting to start a poll and see how many people went out and bought a set of SPD's along with their helmet, pump, etc. when they bought their first MTB.

Cos you like the look of disco-shoes... hey?! I guess everyone's fashion sense is different :lol:

As for me personally, I ride flats (a Nukeproof long pinned pedal, and FiveTen combo to be specific). I feel plenty of control. I have also never slipped a pedal and raked my shin while wearing FiveTens (touch wood).

But I do also see the benifit of cleats for pedal efficiency. So I have invested in some. Because I prefer more technical riding (not miles of district road on a sub 10kg bike), I have opted for a more weighty cleat combo, but which offers some benefits that racing pedals like egg-beaters can't.

So for those determined to stick with cleats, but want something that promotes a little more confidence. Go for a pedal with a platform (like the Shimano DX SPD, Crank Brothers Mallet, or Time Z Freeride). Then go for a SPD shoe that has a flatter rubber sole (like the Shimano AM45 or FiveTen Minnar/Hellcat/Maltese Falcon). This combo will allow you to get stability on the pedal (when trying to re-cleat), without having to wait and fiddle around while the pedal locks in.

Thanks for your constructive input, I used to ride bmx so i am very comfi that way, how much are 5, 10s

Anytime!

As for the FiveTens. Price varies according to model, where you get them from, and whether or not there's a special on.

They can range from R800 - R1500. So still in the region of what you would pay for decent SPDs.

Locally one can get them from Dial'd Bikes. Their prices are very competitive. CRC has more range, and when they have a sale on, the price is very good (like just under R700). But remember that CRC prices exclude VAT and a 25% duty (that is applicable to shoes). So unless there's a sale on or Dial'd doesn't have the model you're looking for), it's better to buy locally.

I like my cleats.

They taught me to ride everything. Battled to UN clip at first, so just had to ride everything.

Now I'm just in it for the pointy shoes.

Some great info here. It's all down to personal preference I guess. Before you decide, maybe ask the guys who ride flats to show you the scars on their shins first. That might help you decide.... Welcome back.