Cyclists' Safety in the light of Burry and other's recent deaths - Merged Thread.

Guest Heino

I do not wish to sound insensitive with this topic, but I am kind of upset and enraged at the moment.

I was at the tribute ride on Sunday @ Stellenbosch and I really thought the message of road safety got through to everyone... Apparently not...

I just came from Hermanus and just as you cross the Steenbras Dam, before you get the turn-off to the lookout point, there were 3 guys cycling toward Somerset-West. The road was crazy busy with holiday traffic and these guys, or at least one of them thought it wise to ride beside his partner...Over the yellow line!

With all the trucks, minibuses, caravans etc, you would think these guys have a death wish. And then the negligence of the cyclists are to blame in instances like this, but we all tend to blame the drivers of the cars.

How will drivers respect you if you do not respect the road??

There is absolutely no law banning cyclists from riding on the road side of the yellow line. Just like it is perfectly legal for me to ride in the middle of the road when coming through Kalk Bay. As long as I am not riding 2 abreast UNLESS I am overtaking another slower cyclist. Then I am allowed to ride 2 abreast.

Too many opinions, not enough facts on these threads.

• Replies 679
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, this is the merged thread for the reaction to the recent deaths on our roads. There is a RIP Burry thread, which I will sticky, and a Tribute to Burry thread which I will do the same. Post relevant content in the respective threads.

Wheres niner? This is exactly his argument for staying alive and he has been very vocal in getting us to understand it.

Changing the status quo starts with one person, be that person and obey the rules made to keep yourself aswell as others safe! Very simple but apparently tough in practice.

Do you have reflectors and a bell on your bike?

If not you are...

Until we as cyclist commit to and then start changing our ways ourselves nothing much will change. As a cyclist I commit to the following

1. No more zap signs, cursing or shouting rudly at motorists when they cut me off or run me off the road, instead I will apologise and turn the other cheek, maybe this motorist will then act kinder to my fellow cyclist he meets down the road.

No more zap signs. .... that's asking too much!

Jokes ... yes, restraint is the response of choice but sometimes I honestly cannot contain the anger against someone who drives / turns in front of me, if I have not taken evasive action I wouldn't be here to express this. And if they are not challenged or reprimanded then they get away with it (?)

Actually I do have reflectors and a bell. The bell is not on the bike but I have bought it and am prepared to fit it. I ride only on dirt but due to congestion and helping alleviate the issue surrounding various trail user conflicts, I will do what is expected of me.

Change starts with me! I can do the right thing.

Anything else?

Do you have reflectors and a bell on your bike?

If not you are...

Edited by Pain or Shine

No more zap signs. .... that's asking too much!

Jokes ... yes, restraint is the response of choice but sometimes I honestly cannot contain the anger against someone who drives / turns in front of me, if I have not taken evasive action I wouldn't be here to express this. And if they are not challenged or reprimanded then they get away with it (?)

Even if all cyclist behaved 100% for a year there would be no change in the behavior of motorist.

They will still drive like idiots.

Even if all cyclist behaved 100% for a year there would be no change in the behavior of motorist.

They will still drive like idiots.

Well, you have to slightly disagree. All of us "recreational" cyclists are motorists too. And I see them get off their bikes at a race, climb into their cars, and proceed to argue with the marshals that just protected them from cars, and try and murder cyclists still completing the event.

So, if those cyclists would change, then they as motorists would change. Kinda ispo facto...

If not you are...

How would you feel if a motorist nearly took you out while you were in the right? Say he was speeding and cut you off through negligence and you managed to stop him and gave him a piece of your mind.. what if he responded with, "You probably jump red lights!" or "You don't have a bell on your bike.." Where does that put you, huh? Nowhere, because your sheep attitude has made you as lawless as him and you wouldn't have a leg to stand on.

Actually I do have reflectors and a bell. The bell is not on the bike but I have bought it and am prepared to fit it. I ride only on dirt but due to congestion and helping alleviate the issue surrounding various trail user conflicts, I will do what is expected of me.

Change starts with me! I can do the right thing.

Anything else?

Well done (once you have fitted it) you are legal and have all right to shout out "that's the law"

Now to convince others to do the same. Maybe even convince some wrong side of the road riders to get brakes?

Like I thought.. wasted on you.

It is more than talk bud. It's the most subscribed sport in SA.. That means there are enough people to institute change.

By your policy, once I am legal I can preach law, like you.. unlawful preaching danger..

Edited by Pain or Shine

What crap! I've read this before and it makes even less sense now. The driver swerves to miss the **** skipping lights and piles into oncoming traffic killing three others.

Oh and ONE word and your argument sinks.. "Accident!"

Clearly you again need to read what I said. No cyclist would run a busy intersection which would require cars dodging them. Intersections crossed are usually empty. Your horse seems a little high, mind that you dont fall off.

I'll try regaining my composure by offering you what I understood/understand.

"No cyclist would" (but have).. yet "usually intersections crossed are empty". High horse.. no, just need to understand why it happens in the first place..

Clearly you again need to read what I said. No cyclist would run a busy intersection which would require cars dodging them. Intersections crossed are usually empty. Your horse seems a little high, mind that you dont fall off.

Edited by Pain or Shine

I almost got taken out this morning by someone jumping a red light. Light was very much green for me, in my car, as I approached. A gut instinct yelled to slow down, so I did. Next thing some dude in full stealth mode cycled straight through at relative speed (he was on a slight downhill". Dark kit, only light (on back of bike) makes a tea-light candle look bright is clearly not a good combination.

Got to my destination, removed my "xmas tree" style bike from back seat of car and did my morning ride with no further incidents.

I almost got taken out this morning by someone jumping a red light. Light was very much green for me, in my car, as I approached. A gut instinct yelled to slow down, so I did. Next thing some dude in full stealth mode cycled straight through at relative speed (he was on a slight downhill". Dark kit, only light (on back of bike) makes a tea-light candle look bright is clearly not a good combination.

Got to my destination, removed my "xmas tree" style bike from back seat of car and did my morning ride with no further incidents.

Eish!! And that's why we all painted with the same brush

Eish!! And that's why we all painted with the same brush

......and seen by motorists as clickheads in tight pant