good question, buy online or support your local shop

r.hendrix

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Another point, Cajees tried to buy from Chan reaction and was "boycotted" by certain suppliers. Now I am in trouble...

Cajees is dodgy as **** to begin with.

Almost as dodgy as another retailer that imports & strips bikes to sells the components as "new"

Edited by S.I.R Maxxis

LBS has to carry stock and that costs more (add insurance Et Al). It's thus justified for them to be a little more expensive and I like to support them, imagine if there were no bike shops to pop into! Also you can check out the stuff you need from all angles and maybe even get some advice. That being said, if something costs 20% or more than what you can get it for online, I go for online. As mentioned, watch out for clothing sizes, it's almost always a surprise...

I'd visit an LBS more often if they stocked more trail, AM and DH bikes and accessories. I get most of my stuff straight from my mechanic who gets it straight from suppliers. The rest comes from online.

Cajees is dodgy as **** to begin with.

Almost as dodgy as another retailer that imports & strips bikes to sells the components as "new"

I must say, Cajees in Boksburg, Mohammed andArif, Awesome guys! You can negotiate an awesome deal with those guys, I would reccomend them anyday! Mookaram in Bedfordview store, is a bit more tough to break through to though... He he, or shall i say, he is not such a big sucker like the other two... Just kidding but Boksburg's store is awesome!!!

I have ten cents to add here....

First of all, NEVER buy any clothing online, sizes differ especially from Chainreaction...

Secondly, go and do a proper price comparison, I am of the opinion that most of our cycle shops are taking the P*ss with us as consumers and they are making a moerse lekker living from us... I have inside info, and if I say how you will all bash me for my honesty! Fact is, a couple of years ago there was "price fixing accusations" whihc is true, then, if you compare prices on Chan reaction cycles you pay an average of 30% less, and let me add that their service is awesome and they stand by their policies...yes guarentee claims might be an issue (I have experienced none!) but other than this, just buy smart... Last year they had an offer on Conti Gatorskins @ R99.97 a tyre............ I bought a crap load! What do we pay locally?? So, yes we want old Ron to make a lving, and trust me, sometimes I want to get into my car and have something NOW, but unfortunately, if your average GP runs at 80% I have my doubts about supporting you if your service doesnt make it an awesome expetience to shop there! I just bought five sets of clothing @ R400 per set, (HTC, Liquigas, Quickstep umong others) I mean then someone is taking the p&ss somewhere, AND I HAPPEN TO KNOW WHERE........ Yes dear hubbers, it is origional... Any cycle stores who would like to challenge me on this?

Hope you didn't buy the 5 sets of clothing online

I will buy anywhere, as long as the price is decent and they have what I'm looking for. It just so happens that CRC meets that criteria more often than an LBS. But CRC has been messing up my orders lately, so I'm looking for more alternatives.

Just too bad that none of the 3 LBS's in my area stock proper baggie / quarter sleeve etc. type of clothing (ONLY FREAKIN LYCRA) and also no Five Ten type shoes if you know what I mean? So it leaves you no choice to buy online because the range in most SA cycle shops are so limited! thumbdown.gif thumbdown.gif

The mountain bike market is only getting bigger, why do 99% of our shops not offer us a wider range to cater for those who want to explore other avenues (ie. non XC) within mountain biking, and lets create a market for that then?

I got some proper Endura shirts that a mate of mine imported (at a heavy price), luckily I don't have to worry about getting new cycling clothing in the near future.

Clothing is about the only item I will buy online if it a brand that I now my sizing already .I get really great service from my lbs and their pricing is the same or better than most online stores.Often I take stuff to try and return for another size ext.I also buy regularly from the hub

.....oh, I walked into 2 LBS's in the Pretoria area over December holiday who are supposed to be Trek dealers - none of them could offer me a bike with more than 130mm travel - it had to be ordered & imported over a 5 week period...pfff

I must say, Cajees in Boksburg, Mohammed andArif, Awesome guys! You can negotiate an awesome deal with those guys, I would reccomend them anyday! Mookaram in Bedfordview store, is a bit more tough to break through to though... He he, or shall i say, he is not such a big sucker like the other two... Just kidding but Boksburg's store is awesome!!!

Not my experience with him, iv'e become pesrona non grata at Cajees Boksburg ever since i called his bluff on claiming best price.

Hope you didn't buy the 5 sets of clothing online

Nope, I have a friend that imports all the clothing from CRC umong others, it gave me the oppertunity to fit. (On someone elses expense.mellow.png )

.....oh, I walked into 2 LBS's in the Pretoria area over December holiday who are supposed to be Trek dealers - none of them could offer me a bike with more than 130mm travel - it had to be ordered & imported over a 5 week period...pfff

BUT bud ... remember that EVERYONE is South Africa wants a 29er as its FAR superior ... so needless to say ... for the small minority like you and I ... it is pointless for the shops to carry 5 inch travel 26er trail bikes ,,, as they will just sit and then the shop looses money when they are not sold ...

The trail/dh market is similar now to the high end roadie custom build market - you go to the shop ... looking for a specific item - they order it for you specially - you wait ... and get what you want.

Guest Omega Man

Action cycling have a commencal meta AM for a VERY good price. give them a call.

BUT bud ... remember that EVERYONE is South Africa wants a 29er as its FAR superior ... so needless to say ... for the small minority like you and I ... it is pointless for the shops to carry 5 inch travel 26er trail bikes ,,, as they will just sit and then the shop looses money when they are not sold ...

The trail/dh market is similar now to the high end roadie custom build market - you go to the shop ... looking for a specific item - they order it for you specially - you wait ... and get what you want.

LOL! I hear you! I still think you will get people who are interested in those bikes, we must pull the wool from their eyes and open their minds... there is more to mtb'ing than 29'er XC bikes.