good question, buy online or support your local shop

r.hendrix

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Support your LBS .... (cus i used to work there) .... They are always the guys you can fall back on if there is a problem ...

That being said ... if a real deal comes up online (like the dropper posts from CRC last week) ... or you cant get stock of a certain item in the country (my 2.5 Maxxis Minion Front UST tyres for example) .... then you can only but go online ...

But id say for everything else - if your LBS can get it ... buy it from them ... you may "think" you paying a lot less for a product online ... but after duties, and tax ... its generally about the same - Id rather pay R200 bucks extra on a 2 grand order and get good service and a friendly smile from the LBS.

Edited by nigelhicks

Both, as prices should be compared and whomever has the better deal, should get your business. I am not into paying more for something for the sake of loyalty (which is maybe why "we" dont seem to stick together...another story)

I get better prices from my LBS than I get online, with the obvious exception of importing [some] items from overseas....

but even if this weren't the case, I'd still support my LBS!

i`ve also purchased from both, i remember the first time i steeped into a shop, not knowing a dam thing, the bike shop really helped alot back then, but in the online age, the information just needs to be more forthcoming on the part of local bike shops, it certainly helps. even CRC started as a local shop they saw the growing need for expansion into the online market.

its just an accessibility thing i reckon

Will support the LBS as much as I can but often I just can't justify paying on items that are often double the price I can get overseas. Been here over 2 years now and haven't paid anything yet on the tax / vat / duty issue on imports. Only thing I've pad has been a handling charge on a set of carbon bars the other day.

I don't know if it's tax, distributors accessing a smaller market or something else but prices here are sometimes flat out crazy and that annoys me as of course I'd love to buy local.

this is true some of the savings online cant be ignored - everything here is somethings really overpriced

I say LBS since I always f*ck up my on-line orders and have to re-buy from the LBS in any event. Just on my last order: was looking for white Gore shifter cables - bought brake cables; spare brackets for my Lezyne Alloy Drive - bought alloy brackets for the Road Drive. Maybe I should just pay more attention when buying on-line.

I have ten cents to add here....

First of all, NEVER buy any clothing online, sizes differ especially from Chainreaction...

Secondly, go and do a proper price comparison, I am of the opinion that most of our cycle shops are taking the P*ss with us as consumers and they are making a moerse lekker living from us... I have inside info, and if I say how you will all bash me for my honesty! Fact is, a couple of years ago there was "price fixing accusations" whihc is true, then, if you compare prices on Chan reaction cycles you pay an average of 30% less, and let me add that their service is awesome and they stand by their policies...yes guarentee claims might be an issue (I have experienced none!) but other than this, just buy smart... Last year they had an offer on Conti Gatorskins @ R99.97 a tyre............ I bought a crap load! What do we pay locally?? So, yes we want old Ron to make a lving, and trust me, sometimes I want to get into my car and have something NOW, but unfortunately, if your average GP runs at 80% I have my doubts about supporting you if your service doesnt make it an awesome expetience to shop there! I just bought five sets of clothing @ R400 per set, (HTC, Liquigas, Quickstep umong others) I mean then someone is taking the p&ss somewhere, AND I HAPPEN TO KNOW WHERE........ Yes dear hubbers, it is origional... Any cycle stores who would like to challenge me on this?

interesting topic....so yesterday I go passed cyclelab fourways for a bit of browsing session and low and behold there is a chainreaction stand, fully branded with a big lcd monitor hooked up to a PC...so I ask why they have done this and no one gave me descent answer other than the boss gets wha tthe boss wants..... anyone have any ideas as to why cyclelab store would do this, what is the benefit?