Running vs Cycling

Peanut Butter

Simple question..........why is cycling events so expensive???

Cycling events is nearly two times more expensive than running events and nearly the same of a round of golf (on a decent golf course). The question is why????

Simple question..........why is cycling events so expensive???

Cycling events is nearly two times more expensive than running events and nearly the same of a round of golf (on a decent golf course). The question is why????

Longer distances to be patrolled, for a longer period of time. Professional vs amateur(running clubs) organisers

Bigger participation on all running events

The reasons are plenty full:

Road running:

10km = R40

21km=R50

42km=R120

Trail running:

10km=R85

15km=R120+

25km=R150+

Multi stage can be as much as R795

CyclingMTB:

25km=R120

The things that cost more money with cycling are:

Road closure / traffic department assistance

Electronic timing (essential as we have seeded starts in cycling where runners are seeded but starts all at the same time)

CSA fees are more expensive than ASA fees

More ER resources required for cycling events

Things that cost the same for both events:

Venue hire

Water point cost

PA Equipment / announcer fees

Prize money

Parking marshals

I prefer the cycling setup where results are up the day after the event and seeding is done regularly. You can join clubs with online renewals and you get regular newsletters from governing bodies and clubs.

Just some actual 2012 expenses to host a road race of a 100km. Admin - Planning, CSA, PPA etc. R 30 000.00 Marketing - R 20 000.00 Entries - Host Website, seeding & Race no. etc. R 160 000.00 Marshalling - Municipal, traffic, signage , water points etc. R 60 000.00 Operational - Medical, Security, etc. R 50 000.00 Prizes - R 50 000.00 Total R 370 000.00 Entry fee @ R 200 / Break Even = 1,850 Entries.

I paid R85 to do the Dischem half marathon this Sunday. The Edenvale Classic and Dischem Ride for Sight were R220 if I recall correctly, so more than double.

Goodie bag for the half marathon is double that of a cycling event as well.

So must be marshalling I guess, but then what about a mtb race where marshalling is not that much but price is still high?

I paid R85 to do the Dischem half marathon this Sunday. The Edenvale Classic and Dischem Ride for Sight were R220 if I recall correctly, so more than double.

Goodie bag for the half marathon is double that of a cycling event as well.

So must be marshalling I guess, but then what about a mtb race where marshalling is not that much but price is still high?

Land access can cost a small fortune. Often mountain biking events cross private land, conservation areas and some district roads.

ER personnel for MTB events are much more expensive (quad bikes and motorbikes)

Electronic timing and CSA fees

Cleaning and unmarking the route afterwards

Ensuring farm gates etc are closed

Limited numbers can be accommodated on trails.

Thanks for that info, Dif-C. Don't think I'll complain to soon again. Never realised it was thet expensive!

The main reason. Because they can, because of the huge market, because they can suck that money out of you, no other bull #%it reason about road closures and admin.

They screw you because they can. It's the biggest booming industry in today's f.up economic times.

Just some actual 2012 expenses to host a road race of a 100km. Admin - Planning, CSA, PPA etc. R 30 000.00 Marketing - R 20 000.00 Entries - Host Website, seeding & Race no. etc. R 160 000.00 Marshalling - Municipal, traffic, signage , water points etc. R 60 000.00 Operational - Medical, Security, etc. R 50 000.00 Prizes - R 50 000.00 Total R 370 000.00 Entry fee @ R 200 / Break Even = 1,850 Entries.

Very insightful, Dif-C...

Impressive.

There's a big elephant there, the 160 k one. would like to see the break down on that as it seems that someone is taking a ride here

Very insightful, Dif-C...

Impressive.

Not at all

I would like to see a proper budget showing breakdown and detail

Seems very high to me

Also no income from sponsors in cash or kind reflected