Bikes for Enduro... The restart

braailegend

Nah ... the KHS is sexier :) and has a decent rear suspension linkage :)

Agreed

I just asked the guys from Enduro Mag if the can't by any chance also do a short and long term test and review of the 2014 KHS 7500 Enduro and 6500 Trail.

Nah ... the KHS is sexier :) and has a decent rear suspension linkage :)

Agreed

I just asked the guys from Enduro Mag if the can't by any chance also do a short and long term test and review of the 2014 KHS 7500 Enduro and 6500 Trail.

Let's see..... be interesting

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The KHS model you have up there is the 2012/13 model.

Yes, it is interesting how many "others" have decided to hop on the band-wagon when they eventually see a good thing. Sometimes even going as for as imitation (more or less).

Unfortunately the the Giant did not get such a wonderful all-round review recently after a long-term test. What a shame they tampered with the rear shock angle only to do an all-ready-proven Maestro system damage. "suspension gremlins" as the test riders put it.

But the SX and std Trance models are versatile rides none the less.

The 2014 carbon SX you have up there is the Enduro competitor to the 2014 KHS 7500 Enduro.

The SX Enduro does or can come equipped as a 160mm travel setup too.

The 2014 2500, 3500, 5500 and 6500 models are the Trail models.

Where was this review of the Trance? Could you post a link?

Where was this review of the Trance? Could you post a link?

Also read about the Trance suspension action not being the same as previous generations ... could have been pinkbike

I just read the long term review on Bike Radar.

What these guys totally fail to acknowledge is that this new Trance has more travel than the old one, and that a direct comparison is not a fair one.

The new Trance eats drops better than the outgoing Reign, while pedalling almost as well as the old shorter travel Trance.

Journos can be such morons sometimes - I wish they would consider all the facts before sprouting their opinions.

What these guys totally fail to acknowledge is that this new Trance has more travel than the old one, and that a direct comparison is not a fair one.

The new Trance eats drops better than the outgoing Reign, while pedalling almost as well as the old shorter travel Trance.

Journos can be such morons sometimes - I wish they would consider all the facts before sprouting their opinions.

:) we know you like yours and she is treating you like a king :)

I would still like to swing a hairy leg over that KHS though :drool:

I have a KHS Lucky 7 (Freeride/AM) and I do love that bike too. It is built like a tank, weighs 18Kgs, but still manages to pedal okay.

I would be very interested to have a little look at the KHS (it would have to be dicreet so my girl doesn't get jealous)

Methinks Bibi has a vested interest in KHS hence the Trance knocking comment. As for your Trance out dropping my Reign - how on earth do you test that? With a properly set up rear shock, the Reign is just fine and has 10mm more suspension to play with. Perhaps its not just journos who sprout their opinions..... :whistling:

Methinks Bibi has a vested interest in KHS hence the Trance knocking comment. As for your Trance out dropping my Reign - how on earth do you test that? With a properly set up rear shock, the Reign is just fine and has 10mm more suspension to play with. Perhaps its not just journos who sprout their opinions..... :whistling:

I have owned two Reigns (2006 and 2011), a Reign X (2010), and three Trances (2010 26er, 2013 29er, 2014 27.5).

I have ridden them all on the same trails and jumps for years.

I guess that counts as a test...at the least, it qualifies me to make the comparison.

I have owned two Reigns (2006 and 2011), a Reign X (2010), and three Trances (2010 26er, 2013 29er, 2014 27.5).

I guess that counts as a test...at the least, it qualifies me to make the comparison.

Makes you a bit biased too though......

Could also be the progression in shock technology... I know I needed to do a fair bit of fettling with my DHX Air to get it passable ito behaviour. And it still blows through travel with the propedal on, and at max pressure...

So yeah - as much as it's a case of the Trance being new tech, the Reign & Reign X still have more squish.

Noli you are a bit promiscuous. Several jilted Giants out there :ph34r: . I'd like someone(Noli maybe) to point out where Giant have allegedly tweaked the Meastro on the new Trance? I doubt there is any meaningful difference in the actual mechanics and I haven't managed to find anything on altered leverage ratio's etc. How precisely is the Trance better than the 2011 Reign?

Noli you are a bit promiscuous. Several jilted Giants out there :ph34r:. I'd like someone(Noli maybe) to point out where Giant have allegedly tweaked the Meastro on the new Trance? I doubt there is any meaningful difference in the actual mechanics and I haven't managed to find anything on altered leverage ratio's etc. How precisely is the Trance better than the 2011 Reign?

IT JUST IS OKAY!!??!?!!?!

hahah, no just joking, lets compare on sunday.... if you ride flats of course...

Edited by deviate

Could also be the progression in shock technology... I know I needed to do a fair bit of fettling with my DHX Air to get it passable ito behaviour. And it still blows through travel with the propedal on, and at max pressure...

So yeah - as much as it's a case of the Trance being new tech, the Reign & Reign X still have more squish.

Noli you are a bit promiscuous. Several jilted Giants out there :ph34r:. I'd like someone(Noli maybe) to point out where Giant have allegedly tweaked the Meastro on the new Trance? I doubt there is any meaningful difference in the actual mechanics and I haven't managed to find anything on altered leverage ratio's etc. How precisely is the Trance better than the 2011 Reign?

Well based on geometry (2014 Trance vs 2011 Reign).

Trance head angle is slacker by 0.5 deg (67deg vs 67.5), and yes, half a degree does make a difference.

Trance wheelbase is 23mm longer (1176mm vs 1153mm on a large frame).

Trance has a 4.8mm longer top tube (619.8mm vs 615.0mm)

all this translates into stability.

But besides all that... Capt Mayhem hit the nail on the head...

Progession...

The Trances and Reigns of yesteryear were notorious for blowing through the travel too easily. This wasn't a linkage design issue, but more a shock pairing issue. The Fox Air shocks with high volume cans weren't firming up near the end of the stroke like they should. By simply reducing the volume of the boost chamber with a shim (fairly common practice. I know Noli and Peach have done this before) the stroke would become more progressive near the end and there would be less bottoming out.

The entry level 2014 Trance comes with a regular volume Fox shock.

So there are some factors that could contribute to Noli's observation.

but besides all that... it's 650B bru! Don't you know that's the new best thing ;) :lol:

Edited by patches

ROFL. Patches, that's exactly what I meant. The DHX Air was notorious for having ZERO mid-stroke compression abilities with that big ass can on there.

If you'd but a CCDB on there, it'd be a different story entirely, I recon.