Bikes for Enduro... The restart

braailegend

In other words...buy a Transition!

Same pricing pretty much.

Seems like Giant or Spez will be getting my money next.  R60k for an alu bike is retarded. 

Edited by NicoBoshoff

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Same pricing pretty much.

Seems like Giant or Spez will be getting my money next. R60k for an alu bike is retarded.

Vs 47 for my new carbon reign... and there's gonna be a bit of a deal on that due to eft etc

Vs 47 for my new carbon reign... and there's gonna be a bit of a deal on that due to eft etc

You see?  I meen come on!  R47k for a rad carbon bike vs R60k for a "niche" alu bike.

Yes, I know ZAR exchange blah blah.  Not my problem.  I'm the buyer.  Explanations don't make it easier to drop R10k more.

Oh well, I know I'm in the minority here (judging by the amount of R60k+ bikes on the trails) - as long as the Epic keeps selling out, people will be buying Nomads.

Does anyone have a solid explanation for why warrantees stick to first owners when it comes to bikes (that cost the same as small cars these days)?

I understand the contractual angle to it.  A Warrantee is an agreement between manufacturer and buyer, which the manufacturer refuses to have ceded to second-hand owners.

Why?

Why can I buy a car that is still covered by the manufacturer's warrantee, or even pay a lumpsum when buying that car to take out an extended warrantee, but when it comes to a bikeframe, sorry, no.

Is it to encourage the purchase of new bikes?  Bit short-sighted because new bikes are becoming unaffordable (you might think you can afford it, but I will be hard pressed to accept that spending R80k-R100k on a bicycle is a smart way to spend your money and don't get me started on financed bike purchases).

I realise I am the bitter child who didn't get picked for the team and is now bad-mouting the game, but FFS, I really don't get it.

Not sure who you spoke to, I got pricing as:

Frame - R29k

3 star build - R55k.

Still waaaaaaay too rich for me.  Refuse to pay that for a bike.  It's about the principal.

I've got the pricelist from the distributor (niner.co.za), the pricing you have seems more realistic. R26K to R29K is about right for something that retails at 2099$.

Not sure who you spoke to, I got pricing as:

Frame - R29k

3 star build - R55k.

Still waaaaaaay too rich for me. Refuse to pay that for a bike. It's about the principal.

I've got the pricelist from the distributor (niner.co.za), and I must agree something is not right with their calculations. The pricing you have seems more realistic. R26K to R29K is about right for something that retails at 2099$. Edited by Dirt Merchant

R60K gets you a Carbon Evil the Following...........

Just saying.

How do you get to that? In all due respect, The Hub is the only place where people work on a R10 = 1 USD. On this forum it is also possible to magically get products here without paying shipping ( 3 to 10% of goods value), 10% customs vat or 14 % vat. If you bring in a complete bike as you have to do , ( a lot of the Internet retailers will not disassemble a bike and ship it in two separate boxes) , you can add another 15 %.

So the cheapest Evil Following on special at Fanatikbikes: 5829$. Working on the exange rate of R12,35. (What the bank will charge me today), adding shipping, custom's Vat etc. equals R 91 627,00. ( Excluding 15% import duty) Even if you smuggle the bike in via your airline luggage, it is still R72 000,00.

OR you can use the Hub's formula: 5829 x 10. = R58290,00

Edited by Dirt Merchant

How do you get to that? In all due respect, The Hub is the only place where people work on a R10 = 1 USD. On this forum it is also possible to magically get products here without paying shipping ( 3 to 10% of goods value), 10% customs vat or 14 % vat. If you bring in a complete bike as you have to do , ( a lot of the Internet retailers will not disassemble a bike and ship it in two separate boxes) , you can add another 15 %.

So the cheapest Evil Following on special at Fanatikbikes: 5829$. Working on the exange rate of R12,35. (What the bank will charge me today), adding shipping, custom's Vat etc. equals R 91 627,00. ( Excluding 15% import duty) Even if you smuggle the bike in via your airline luggage, it is still R72 000,00.

Ja that's what I also thought.

Assumed he spoke out of experience, but that seems unlikely as per your post.

One thing - is US Sales Tax incl in that price? Cos that woul dhave to come off...

That's one thing to bear in mind when ordering from the international okes such as Canyon and YT and Rose etc...They all have EU VAT incl in the price, which hovers around 20%... so before you work out the landed price and duties etc you need to divide by 1.2 to get the pre-VAT price, and work from there. 

Ja that's what I also thought.

Assumed he spoke out of experience, but that seems unlikely as per your post.

Yeha. 

Taking my example of the YT Capra CF Comp 2 @ EUR 3,499 incl vat @ 20%

EUR 3,499 sale price / 1.2 = EUR 2,915.83 = price for international customers

EUR 2,915.83 + 15% (Duty for full bikes) + 14% VAT = EUR 3,822.66

Add shipping of ~ EUR 300 = total EUR 4,122.66

EUR 4,122.66 @ 13.95 ZAR / 1 EUR = R 57,511.07

And you can add R 1,524.04 to that price for the Comp 1. 

Bloody Hell, that's a bit of a cheek when considering the dollar RRP.

dollar 12.3 if your'e lucky. Plus 16.5% vat and customs - and that doesn't even include the 5K odd to get it here, plus the 15% duty on complete bikes...

Convert that on your dollar and you're staring at 69195...

Nico's price at R55K doesn't seem so bad now then eh?

RRP in SA is now R61K for the complete bike.

dollar 12.3 if your'e lucky. Plus 16.5% vat and customs - and that doesn't even include the 5K odd to get it here, plus the 15% duty on complete bikes...

Convert that on your dollar and you're staring at 69195...

Nico's price at R55K doesn't seem so bad now then eh?

RRP in SA is now R61K for the complete bike.

Waaaaaay off the mark, Zilla. You're quoting me whilst looking at the wrong post... 

15.4% VAT on a frame (duty-less item)

Plus the dollar RETAIL price is $ 2,099 - Distributor price will be way below that, I can assure you. At the dollar where it is now (let's just say 12.5 to keep it simple) you're looking at an RRP of R 29,914.74 incl VAT for the frame 

Which is, if you look carefully, the same price that Nico is quoting.

Plus, I wasn't querying Nico's calcs. If you look properly, I was querying the cost of DM's contact at the agents saying that the frame only was R 37k. 

I was saying that THAT was cheeky... Nico's pricing is way closer. 

Edited by El Capitan

One thing - is US Sales Tax incl in that price? Cos that woul dhave to come off...

That's one thing to bear in mind when ordering from the international okes such as Canyon and YT and Rose etc...They all have EU VAT incl in the price, which hovers around 20%... so before you work out the landed price and duties etc you need to divide by 1.2 to get the pre-VAT price, and work from there.

No, most US Internet retailers will only charge sales tax if you purchase the item for delivery in their state. Washington in this case. They"ll add the tax afterwards, so the amount you see on Fanatik, Competitive or Jenson is ex-vat.