Bikes for Enduro... The restart

braailegend

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What is quite disturbing about this review is the comment on the price of the Spaz. The reviewer says he could buy the frame, do a custom build to his satisfaction as good or better than supplied stock and it would cost R20 000 less than the Spaz price. This with the bike laced with in house brand parts like the wheels, tyres and few others. Can anyone say "cycle industry rip off" .

Yup - it is ridiculous - someone here on the hub made the same comment about the S-Works Epic the other day. And that was with a better build kit than what comes standard on the bike. 

Let's see if Spaz fixes this "oversight" by increasing the price of the frameset by 20k.

Yup - it is ridiculous - someone here on the hub made the same comment about the S-Works Epic the other day. And that was with a better build kit than what comes standard on the bike. 

Let's see if Spaz fixes this "oversight" by increasing the price of the frameset by 20k.

flipping funny!

So those who remember, I had quite a sad black Friday 2019..

My bike was stolen in the early hours of the morning, never to be seen again. However, since it was stolen from my house "Santa"m came to the party and paid out an amount I could put a fairly descent bike together with If I shopped around on the hub etc. 

After most of my December riding time was spent on forums, ebay and online shops I decided to get a slightly "bigger" bike, but that would handle a 150mm fork better than my old 130mm bike. The seat angle of the latter became quite raked out, and a longer travel frame would help with that although I didn't really feel like I needed much more travel. 

Fork - RS Revelation on bikehub, and picked up a Charger 2 RCT3 damper on e-bay, (150mm debonair)

Frame - ICAN P9 /Evolve Alpha (145mm currently)

Shock RS Deluxe RT3

SRAM GX 12 group set

ECC hubs on Rapide TR30 rims 

Shimano deore brakes + Pedals

Lyne Components:

-Pulse Carbon 35Di bars

-Pulse 55mm Stem

-170 Contour dropper

Maxxis 29x2.5' Aggressor + 2.5' DHF exo+

I opted to build the bike myself. My plan is to spray the bike nicely and do Evolve decals but since we are moving house and need to do some renovations in the new house, this will have to wait though.

I started by taking the frame apart and greasing every pivot/bearing which took one night and assembling it took another 2. Much longer than anticipated but in the end, apart from the BB, there were no issues. 

I've ridden it twice and Its safe to say, that I love it. Besides taking my own KOM on the mast DH on my first ride(a rocky hiking trail up to a radio mask in the mountains here) after not riding a bike for 3 months. Its just so composed, I'm going to have to upgrade the brakes sometime, but for now, the traction and composure is blowing my mind. 

The only problem is how unfit I became. To put it this way, there's no way I will finish an EWC Enduro right now!

PS. Excuse the water bottle, I had to get a side entry and the pink one of my wife's bike was all that fitted for the first ride but that's now sorted.

post-1279-0-50997800-1583847543_thumb.jpg

post-1279-0-27108700-1583847560_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bos

nice one. I think you should be able to fit a holy rail in there, then you can use a bugger bottle

Ya I cant spend anymore money on it for a while, I'll upgrade the rear rotor to 180mm and that's about it. I managed to fit a 750ml in with the side entry. 

I though of just drilling the frame and adding another riv-nut myself, but perhaps not the best idea. 

So those who remember, I had quite a sad black Friday 2019..

My bike was stolen in the early hours of the morning, never to be seen again. However, since it was stolen from my house "Santa"m came to the party and paid out an amount I could put a fairly descent bike together with If I shopped around on the hub etc. 

After most of my December riding time was spent on forums, ebay and online shops I decided to get a slightly "bigger" bike, but that would handle a 150mm fork better than my old 130mm bike. The seat angle of the latter became quite raked out, and a longer travel frame would help with that although I didn't really feel like I needed much more travel. 

Fork - RS Revelation on bikehub, and picked up a Charger 2 RCT3 damper on e-bay, (150mm debonair)

Frame - ICAN P9 /Evolve Alpha (145mm currently)

Shock RS Deluxe RT3

SRAM GX 12 group set

ECC hubs on Rapide TR30 rims 

Shimano deore brakes + Pedals

Lyne Components:

-Pulse Carbon 35Di bars

-Pulse 55mm Stem

-170 Contour dropper

Maxxis 29x2.5' Aggressor + 2.5' DHF exo+

I opted to build the bike myself. My plan is to spray the bike nicely and do Evolve decals but since we are moving house and need to do some renovations in the new house, this will have to wait though.

I started by taking the frame apart and greasing every pivot/bearing which took one night and assembling it took another 2. Much longer than anticipated but in the end, apart from the BB, there were no issues. 

I've ridden it twice and Its safe to say, that I love it. Besides taking my own KOM on the mast DH on my first ride(a rocky hiking trail up to a radio mask in the mountains here) after not riding a bike for 3 months. Its just so composed, I'm going to have to upgrade the brakes sometime, but for now, the traction and composure is blowing my mind. 

The only problem is how unfit I became. To put it this way, there's no way I will finish an EWC Enduro right now!

PS. Excuse the water bottle, I had to get a side entry and the pink one of my wife's bike was all that fitted for the first ride but that's now sorted.

flipping well done on the build!

So With no DHI and EWS action for the immediate future we have to start turning our attention to local racing! Im keen to check out the Helderbarg and Kontermanskloof EWC route in a bit. I need to get some miles in the legs but I'd be IN for a shuttle day at any of those venues.. since I've never raced there. 

After a looooong time putting parts together i should be taking her out on her maiden voyage tomorrow.

Just need to pick up a set of brake pads first thing in the morning.

Only thing left really is chain guide and a dropper post.

post-13500-0-68442800-1584116130_thumb.jpg

I hear Revolution Cycles are soon to be receiving enduro frame sets - they arent doing complete bikes, no doubt for the obvious reason. You'll be able to choose the build yourself or presumably just buy a frame. I wonder how much they'll be...

• 2 weeks later...