Gear for Enduro 2.0

DR ◣◢

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Guys, some advise needed... or maybe opinions.

i have never worn full face helmets before, what should i be looking out for when doing research. Also will MX helmets do the job for All mountain/enduro riding.

i was checking these guys out.

http://www.fullthrottle.co.za/online/fullthrottleproducts.php?catid=Mjk=&subcat1=Mjg=

Fit. Ventilation. Weight. Neck brace compatibility (not all helmets work well with neck braces).

Go look at rush sports. They have good prices on their Kabutos (the helmet Minnaar uses). Light, and good fit customization

As for MX helmets, maybe for DH, but for enduro, too heavy and too bulky

Hey Guys, some advise needed... or maybe opinions.

i have never worn full face helmets before, what should i be looking out for when doing research. Also will MX helmets do the job for All mountain/enduro riding.

i was checking these guys out.

http://www.fullthrot...k=&subcat1=Mjg=

MX helmets are OKish for DH use, but they're too heavy and hot for Enduro.

I've always been a fan of light helmets, which is why my FF is a carbon version. Some people don't mind though, I guess it's down to how much you're willing to slog up the hill.

Fit. Ventilation. Weight. Neck brace compatibility (not all helmets work well with neck braces).

thanks patches...

so how should a good "All mountain FF" fit and ventilate? also what wait should i be looking at, is 1.45kg heavy?

....but they're too heavy and hot for Enduro.

MX helmets are OKish for DH use, but they're too heavy and hot for Enduro.

I've always been a fan of light helmets, which is why my FF is a carbon version. Some people don't mind though, I guess it's down to how much you're willing to slog up the hill.

And i thought i did quite a bit of homework before i got my fox fux..... looks like i am going to have to do the same, if not more for a ff.

[/size]

thanks patches...

so how should a good "All mountain FF" fit and ventilate? also what wait should i be looking at, is 1.45kg heavy?

fit = comfortable. ventilation = as well vented as possible. Basically test a specific model and see if you feel it meets those 2 criteria... or base your choice on other users opinions.

As for weight... good heavens! 1.45kg will break your neck!

I'd say you should be looking at around or less than 1000g. Not going to be cheap though (and a 100g MX lid will be even more expensive (approx R6000).

That's why I mentioned the Kabuto's. The composite is 970g (lighter than many carbon lids that are twice it's price.

I personally run a Troy Lee D3 (whch is probably the most popular upper end full face in the Enduro and FR and DH circles. Again, not cheap (probably looking at approx R3500-R4000 (landed) for the composite, and over R5000 (landed) for a carbon model. It's not the lightest or best vented on the market, but it is supposed to be one of the safest. (Jerome Clementz, Enduro World Champion, uses a TLD D3)

On par with that are helmets like the Kabuto, Airoh Fighter, Fox Rampage Pro and the new Bell Full 9. The Bell is probably around R6000, but does come with an integrated GoPro mount which is pretty cool.

But yeah, here are some options

Premium Range (R3000+)

• TLD D3
  • Fox Rampage Pro
  • Bell Full 9
  • Kabuto IXA-C
  • Airoh Fighter
  • POC Cortex

Medium Range (R2000 - R3000)

• 661 Rage
  • Urge Down-O-Matic
  • Kabuto IXA
  • THE 2
  • Bluegrass Explicit
  • Giro Cipher

Cheap and Chearfull (Under R2000)

• 661 Comp Shifted (Good value for money).
  • THE Point 5
  • Bluegrass Brave
  • Fox Rampage

fit = comfortable. ventilation = as well vented as possible. Basically test a specific model and see if you feel it meets those 2 criteria... or base your choice on other users opinions.

As for weight... good heavens! 1.45kg will break your neck!

I'd say you should be looking at around or less than 1000g. Not going to be cheap though (and a 100g MX lid will be even more expensive (approx R6000).

That's why I mentioned the Kabuto's. The composite is 970g (lighter than many carbon lids that are twice it's price.

I personally run a Troy Lee D3 (whch is probably the most popular upper end full face in the Enduro and FR and DH circles. Again, not cheap (probably looking at approx R3500-R4000 (landed) for the composite, and over R5000 (landed) for a carbon model. It's not the lightest or best vented on the market, but it is supposed to be one of the safest. (Jerome Clementz, Enduro World Champion, uses a TLD D3)

On par with that are helmets like the Kabuto, Airoh Fighter, Fox Rampage Pro and the new Bell Full 9. The Bell is probably around R6000, but does come with an integrated GoPro mount which is pretty cool.

But yeah, here are some options

Premium Range (R3000+)

• TLD D3
  • Fox Rampage Pro
  • Bell Full 9
  • Kabuto IXA-C
  • Airoh Fighter
  • POC Cortex

Medium Range (R2000 - R3000)

• 661 Rage
  • Urge Down-O-Matic
  • Kabuto IXA
  • THE 2
  • Bluegrass Explicit
  • Giro Cipher

Cheap and Chearfull (Under R2000)

• 661 Comp Shifted (Good value for money).
  • THE Point 5
  • Bluegrass Brave
  • Fox Rampage

hey Thanks patches! very helpful indeed, i think i should try on a few that you mentioned above and take it from there... oh yeah, thats if i can find them in our local shops here in CT. hopefully this weekend.

New Rental Carbon bars!

been waiting for the official announcement of these bars. Saw it stuck away on some online cycling rag. Not a whisper on the other mainstream MTB sites.

I hope they are releasing the retail versions of their proto stems as well.

Taahir, just a question: why are you looking at FF lids? Only for enduro or are you going to ride some DH stuff?

Personally I don't see FF helmets being requires for local enduro an I don't expect that to change soon.

It's a big investment into gear that you may hardly use (I only use my ff lid on the odd DH trails I ride here in Paarl and obv for France next year). It was on a super special at R500 so small investment, but Had it cost me R4000 I would be very bleak.

R3k-R4k buys a TON of cool stuff for your bike, hell it's a trip to a far off SA trail.

Just my two cents, because I can see a bit of my own "fools rush in" approach in what I've seen of your posts (please don't take it the wrong way!)

Cheers

Taahir, just a question: why are you looking at FF lids? Only for enduro or are you going to ride some DH stuff?

Just my two cents, because I can see a bit of my own "fools rush in" approach in what I've seen of your posts (please don't take it the wrong way!)

Cheers

No worries NicoBoshoffI banged my head very hard about 4 months ago. Landed headfirst doing jumps. I was like 5meters away from where I crashed, bike was another 5m further. So my confidence went down the drain. Started working on my ability and i am now able to flow much better than before the incident and my confidence is even higher than before. So I guess its just the fear of falling hard on my head again, and that I have a family to support that's motivated me to research protective gear.Oh, and yes... "Fools rush in" trying to keep it under control. So far so good, hope I'll be able to keep it up. My wallet only allows me to be a dreamer at the mo.

No worries NicoBoshoffI banged my head very hard about 4 months ago. Landed headfirst doing jumps. I was like 5meters away from where I crashed, bike was another 5m further. So my confidence went down the drain. Started working on my ability and i am now able to flow much better than before the incident and my confidence is even higher than before. So I guess its just the fear of falling hard on my head again, and that I have a family to support that's motivated me to research protective gear.Oh, and yes... "Fools rush in" trying to keep it under control. So far so good, hope I'll be able to keep it up. My wallet only allows me to be a dreamer at the mo.

II

I also reached I stage when I realized that I should be wearing a ff lid.Mainly after a trip to Morzine,early this year 99% of the riders were wearing ff.

I have reached a stage of doing fair drops ,and love jumping.

I have the kabuto 1XA-C GM11 light enough to strap on your backpack for the ups, and very comfy.

Not cheap a R3500 but Im very happy with it.

thing is, dont let the format decide which type of lid will provide you with the best protection: that's just fashion dictating function. Break your face, then decide if you want to ride FF or open face lids for our type of enduro. But do you really want to wait till then? Skill level does play a role in the likelihood of mistakes, but once your speed is up, there's not time to tuck and roll as some assholes will try to convince is possible, but u will have plenty of time in hospital or every morning you look in the mirror, to reflect upon the time you didn't follow your better judgement and go with a FF.

Go with what makes YOU feel safe!

hey Thanks patches! very helpful indeed, i think i should try on a few that you mentioned above and take it from there... oh yeah, thats if i can find them in our local shops here in CT. hopefully this weekend.

To be honest... you are most likely to come right by measuring your pip. Seeing what size the manufacturer recommends. Make friends with a lice free rider who has that lid, and put your pip in there.

The local shops don't stock much in the way of full face lids. And there are some brands or models they won't have at all (Like the D3's). You may get lucky and find some 661 Comps or old Fox Rampages on the shelf... but in general... like I said, hard to come by.

Are they/ will they be available in SA?

Stock of the Bell Super arriving next week!! Colours available are Matt Black STar, White/Silver Web, Blue/Green Moto & Bright Green!

Edited by Mr Mulebar

Up until as recent as a few months ago, the availability of DH specific FF lids was virtually non existent except for the Rampage and 661 lids (Looking at the average LBS Stock) Even now I doubt you'll find a vast array of DH specific lids to choose from at your LBS. Most of the really cool lids were coming in from across the water (TLD, THE, Kabuto, etc) so many would turn to MX lids if they were on a budget. I ride a FOX V2 which is slightly heavier than a DH specific lid. It takes a bit longer to fasten the strap as it doesn't have a plastic clip. It was a bit more than a Rampage, but unfortunately I have a larger than average pip and the V2 fitted me better.

I haven't tried it out on an enduro . Doubt I will. I'll stick to a XC or enduro specific lid for that.