Gear for Enduro 2.0

DR ◣◢

I really hope Urge and others can come to the party with a proper full face for more extreme trail and enduro riding.

Some of the sections on the local enduros can get stupid fast and an off anywhere on these section will lead to a bad injury. It just isn't always practical to ride with two lids.

I love my Urge full face but it works best at speed.

Like OM says, the market is wide open for a light, well ventilated lid that doesn't look like ass.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Omega Man

I really hope Urge and others can come to the party with a proper full face for more extreme trail and enduro riding.

Some of the sections on the local enduros can get stupid fast and an off anywhere on these section will lead to a bad injury. It just isn't always practical to ride with two lids.

I love my Urge full face but it works best at speed.

Like OM says, the market is wide open for a light, well ventilated lid that doesn't look like ass.

Wasn't dissing the Urge fullface. I meant the one with the half chin guard. Just in case you were offended. hehe.

But ja. Market is HUGE! My mate Ray is out from the UK and he reckons you don't see lycra and 29er hard tails over there. It's all 5 and six inch bikes. Trail centre riding. Enduro lids.

Edited by Omega Man

I recently watched a riding film where the riders wore TLD D2 open face lids and goggles to do some AM/enduro type riding.

I've also seen motorbike trials riders use them.

Now I know they're not "full face", and they won't be the lightest or best vented, but they'll probably offer the best protection out of any open face, and they work well with goggles.

post-10758-1388300783,6012.jpg

post-10758-1388300800,8192.jpg

post-10758-1388300816,6027.jpg

Some may think it looks goofy... I personally think the retro look is kinda cool :ph34r: :lol:

Edited by patches

Guest Omega Man

I recently watched a riding film where the riders wore TLD D2 open face lids and goggles to do some AM/enduro type riding.

I've also seen motorbike trials riders use them.

Now I know they're not "full face", and they won't be the lightest or best vented, but they'll probably offer the best protection out of any open face, and they work well with goggles.

Some may think it looks goofy... I personally think the retro look is kinda cool :ph34r: :lol:

It's somewhat fitting that you posted a pic of JD Swanguen wearing one cos only someone who smokes a lot of weed would wear one of those. hehehe.

Wasn't dissing the Urge fullface. I meant the one with the half chin guard. Just in case you were offended. hehe.

But ja. Market is HUGE! My mate Ray is out from the UK and he reckons you don't see lycra and 29er hard tails over there. It's all 5 and six inch bikes. Trail centre riding. Enduro lids.

I would be too ashamed to where that enduro full face of theirs. Looks like they hacked a normal full face with a hole saw.

No offence taken at all.

Guest Omega Man

Looks like they hacked a normal full face with a hole saw.

It looks that way cos that's exactly what they did.

Its for supercross but ya................

http://es.pinkbike.org/sprt/f2/s/193.gif Hixee (Dec 22, 2013 at 1:18)

They actually managed to do it. They actually managed to make an uglier helmet!

http://ep1.pinkbike.org/p5pb10433809/p5pb10433809.jpghttp://ep1.pinkbike.org/p5pb10433805/p5pb10433805.jpg

an urge lid i actually like. it's unusual, with good aesthetics.. *like*

http://es.pinkbike.org/sprt/f2/s/35.gif AndrewIsShreding (Dec 22, 2013 at 19:37)

The holes on the side aren't camera lenses, there beer holders. :w00t:

Just a heads up. Pardon the pun. I'm not the kind of guy who raves about something just cos it's new so if you want an honest review for something I've actually used I'm your guy.

It's not all champagne and roses with the Bell Super. This helmet is definitely not for everybody. It's pretty heavy for a trail lid and if you aren't moving it gets pretty hot pretty quickly. It's significantly heavier and hotter than the prevoius Bell Trail lid that i have. If you do 50km on jeeptrack this is definitely not the helmet for you. Plus the price is somewhat ridiculous. You can buy a Fox V1 Motocross helmet for the same price.

Having said that it's really a pretty helmet. In my opinion it's by far the best looking trail lid out there. The weight can also be explained away because of the extra coverage the helmet has. The venting in the helmet is very reminiscent of the venting on my DH lids but you do need to be moving to get the most out of that. I really like the built in gopro mount. It's held in place with velcro so it's easily removable. A quick test of it yesterday at Tokai proved pretty successful although I'm not a fan of having a camera right on the top of the top of your head. The little wheel sizing goodie at the back of the lid is a great feature. The fact that you can wear goggles with it without crushing your nose is a huge plus.

I'd say it's a downhillers trail lid. Guys that are used to wearing full faces won't be too bothered by the weight and the heat but will enjoy the extra coverage and the fact that it actually works with goggles.

It was a toss up between the Bell and the 661 Recon for me. The 661 is cheaper and lighter but is less feature rich. The salesman had me when he said the Bell made me look younger.

Things I don't like.

It's heavy

It's hot

The price

Things I like

Works well with goggles

Integrated gopro mount

strapping system

build quality

fit

I still think there's a large lucrative market for a well designed lightweight fullface trail helmet that doesn't look like a rectum. That Giro thing was a fail and the Urge is ugly as all hell. I'll bet that by the end of 2014 we'll see some decent looking fullface trail lids. The market is too big to ignore.

Dude, great feedback - good detail, comparative elements with competitor offerings, alternate considerations ....you do a better job than some of the journos out there.

Appreciate the insights!

I am intrigued that, even with the 4 brow vent ports that they go on about (yeah, I know, marketing speak ...) that it is not cooler - must be to do with the greater coverage area ..? I am definitely looking for an All Mountain lid, in the sense that everything gets ridden. Not a jeep track slog and grind necessarily as this is mind-numbing but certainly pedalling the ups.

I am talking to Andrew at Dial'd about the 661 Recon Stealth (the 2013 one as the newer version has a paint job that looks like my 2 year old daughter had an art accident) as it does look like a viable option - pleased to see you rate this as well .... and the IXS Trail RS looks yummy (apart from that short-ass visor which may be impractical) with good vents and coverage

Bru, short of major reconstructive surgery, no brain bucket - or any other kit for that matter :whistling: will be able to make me look younger so there is absolutely no fashion consideration.... besides the image thing goes out the window when they hear me huffing and wheezing my way up the hillside in any event ... :huh:

Any ideas on where to sources the IXS locally, and pricing?Thanks again.

International Trade are the IXS agents.

Guest Omega Man

Dude, great feedback - good detail, comparative elements with competitor offerings, alternate considerations ....you do a better job than some of the journos out there.

Appreciate the insights!

I am intrigued that, even with the 4 brow vent ports that they go on about (yeah, I know, marketing speak ...) that it is not cooler - must be to do with the greater coverage area ..? I am definitely looking for an All Mountain lid, in the sense that everything gets ridden. Not a jeep track slog and grind necessarily as this is mind-numbing but certainly pedalling the ups.

I am talking to Andrew at Dial'd about the 661 Recon Stealth (the 2013 one as the newer version has a paint job that looks like my 2 year old daughter had an art accident) as it does look like a viable option - pleased to see you rate this as well .... and the IXS Trail RS looks yummy (apart from that short-ass visor which may be impractical) with good vents and coverage

Bru, short of major reconstructive surgery, no brain bucket - or any other kit for that matter :whistling: will be able to make me look younger so there is absolutely no fashion consideration.... besides the image thing goes out the window when they hear me huffing and wheezing my way up the hillside in any event ... :huh:

Pleasure man. I always joke with my mate Nic who always RAAAAAVES about the newest blingy shiny thing that pops out of the various marketing R&D departments all over the place.

Whatever helmet you do choose make sure you fit it onto your scone before you buy it. It doesn't matter how nice a helmet is. If it don't fit your head it's pretty useless.

I don't know where you can get IXS stuff locally. That IXS Trail RS looks rad tho. And IXS stuff is usually pretty well priced and nice looking. Kind of the opposite of POC.

Edited by Omega Man