LCHF - Low Carb High Fat Diet Ver 2

LCHF? No thanks. I believe in low carbs high protein for weight loss, but only when exercise levels are low. When I go ride I need them carbs for fuel, so I try to stick to LCHP generally but before rides I switch to HC.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

LCHF? No thanks. I believe in low carbs high protein for weight loss, but only when exercise levels are low. When I go ride I need them carbs for fuel, so I try to stick to LCHP generally but before rides I switch to HC.

There are some very useful resources in this thread.

Protein is a terrible energy source, so live on a low-carb, low-fat, high protein diet can leave a person feeling pretty miserable.

Sure you do need protein, and make sure you do get enough, but over-eating on protein can spike insulin just as well as carbs. It's all about finding YOUR balance.

There is thread that is asking for people to assist UCT in doing tests on LCHF. I am no use as I am based in Johannesburg, but I sure you Cape Town guys can assist.

So - Barberton. Was never going to be pretty on 210km of training since Nov last year, however, it was my first race that I did after starting LCHF proper last year and I wanted to see how this year would compare.

I had probably been going LCHF for 4 - 6 weeks. I was unsure of how the whole LCHF thing worked, so tended to err on the side of caution. I took droewors and mac nuts as energy supplementation, and I think I had eggs for breakfast. I had a terrible ride. I knew from 10k in that it just wasn't going to work. Was completely flat from the beginning. I persevered through, and found that if I stayed at very low intensity, I could manage. About 20k from the end I was tired of being tired, so picked up a banana and a coke at a water table and was off like a rocket.

This year I had Futurelife for breakfast as I was camping and didn't want to have to fuss over breakfast. I added cream to reduce any insulin spike the Futurelife may have caused. I took a mix of gels, racefood and bars so that I could choose whatever I felt like using. I started supplementing after 40 mins or so, and then every 45 mins. I think I used two gels and two racefoods and picked up a banana or two and a coke or two.

Result was that I was full of energy the whole way. My problem was that due to being undertrained, I started cramping on the second climb after the first monster climb. The rest of the race involved surfing the cramp rather than surfing the bonk. You can nurse yourself along the flats, but there is no hiding when it comes to the short sharp climbs.

Never once did I feel flat or short of energy. Which, amongst other LCHF reasons, is probably due to the fact that I couldn't push it due to cramping - so I couldn't stress my energy reserves.

So I'm completely happy with the adaptions that LCHF have made. I think I needed the extra energy for making the climb, but for the rest of the race, I probably could have done quite happily on less carb intake. I also find that gels seem to work the best for me. I didn't used to like them at all, but now they seem to be the answer. I used Cadence gels if that makes any diffs as I figure Jeroen Swart & co should know as much as anyone else what should be in a gel.

I think JCZA hit it on the head when he said that once fat adapted, your fuel economy in terms of glucose is way better.

Edit:

Cramps and magnesium. Cramps were going to be part of the deal due to lack of training, but I wonder if my rather haphazard magnesium supplementation may not have helped? I kind of take a mag tab when I remember - say one day out of three. I got a cramp in my hand when holding things awkwardly when I was taking down the tent and was wondering if that was a sign of lack of magnesium (or gripping the bars too tightly on the downs!)

Edited by davetapson

Rather you than me on that amt of training, Dave. That's quite a climb at the start, comparable with the Katberg and Fort Beaufort rides here. Were you riding geared up, and what gear ratios. Excuse the questions, but I'm trying to work out what would work for me at the moment. I've decided to put gears on the SS, with a smaller chain-ring, as I just don't have the power to grind up the hills at the moment.

Has anyone else found that you perspire a lot more on LCHF, I don't know if it's the heat at the moment, or the diet change, but riding on the IDT, I'm making the carpet wet, and have had to put towels down, and I've never had to do that.

Training at 180-age is bloody hard here, too many ups and downs, I'd have to get off the bike and walk, so the IDT has been put to use.

Rather you than me on that amt of training, Dave. That's quite a climb at the start, comparable with the Katberg and Fort Beaufort rides here. Were you riding geared up, and what gear ratios. Excuse the questions, but I'm trying to work out what would work for me at the moment. I've decided to put gears on the SS, with a smaller chain-ring, as I just don't have the power to grind up the hills at the moment.

Has anyone else found that you perspire a lot more on LCHF, I don't know if it's the heat at the moment, or the diet change, but riding on the IDT, I'm making the carpet wet, and have had to put towels down, and I've never had to do that.

Training at 180-age is bloody hard here, too many ups and downs, I'd have to get off the bike and walk, so the IDT has been put to use.

Hi Dean

Standard GT ratios: 3 x 9 - I think 44 / 32 / 26 big ring, and I normally put a cassette on with the biggest granny I can find (cheaply) at the time. I think I have a 11 - 34 at the moment. Maybe 11 - 32.

I would never make a race like this or Sabie on SS - or would have to choose such a low ratio that I would be spinning out on shallow climbs, let alone flat or downhill. Maybe later.

D.

Edit: sounds like you have some awesome races down there that we don't hear much about. You're not short of terrain for decent races either...

Edited by davetapson

When I was on LCHF, I experienced the same. A lot more perspiration than normal.

After studying the chemical formulas, I think I know now why. For the same reason as that you require more oxygen for the same energy output while burning more fat than glucose, you will also form more water ( H2O ) as waste product with the O2 combining with the extra H2 molecules in fat compared to glucose.

When I was on LCHF, I experienced the same. A lot more perspiration than normal.

After studying the chemical formulas, I think I know now why. For the same reason as that you require more oxygen for the same energy output while burning more fat than glucose, you will also form more water ( H2O ) as waste product with the O2 combining with the extra H2 molecules in fat compared to glucose.

I'm interested to know why you think one would sweat this extra water out rather than excrete it via the kidneys - i.e. pee it out?

Not sure about sweat levels, but have noticed that I need a LOT less water to drink when racing and training than I used to on my old diet.

If you do a search on 'LCHF and sweating' there are a number of people who say they sweated while going through 'carb flu'. Might it be part of that process?

I don't recall sweating any more than usual when I started, and don't think that I do now...

Edit: Seeing DaleE's post - I also notice that I need a lot less water - took 2l in a camelbak for Barberton and didn't need to reload. And it was HOT.

Did have a few paper cups of coke.

Edited by davetapson

Not sure about sweat levels, but have noticed that I need a LOT less water to drink when racing and training than I used to on my old diet.

Spot on Dale, found the same thing. I can do 3 hour training ride on 1 x bottle water. Actually started at J2C when I broke a cage and ended up riding from day 4 to finish with 1 bottle only. When racing I can do 40-50km on 1 bottle.

Same principle at play here I would think. Don't know why some would sweat it out more rather than pee it out. Will have to research that, but I would guess that maybe you would rather sweat it out if you need more cooling, ie have a high body temperature or metabolic rate.

Interesting to note that a camel can theoretically "produce" up to 1.4 Litres of water for every 1 kg of fat stored in it's hump ...

Edited by Topwine

Spot on Dale, found the same thing. I can do 3 hour training ride on 1 x bottle water. Actually started at J2C when I broke a cage and ended up riding from day 4 to finish with 1 bottle only. When racing I can do 40-50km on 1 bottle.

+1