LCHF - Low Carb High Fat Diet Ver 2

Wow what interesting stuff!

I am new to this, but this all makes so much sense! So how to educate dietician on this? Pitty my pockets not as deep as Kellogs! :thumbdown:

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You don't need to educate anyone but yourself Bonkers. I'm new to the LCHF too. But was toying with the idea for a while. Having an academic nutritional background, albeit in animals, it seemed to make sense to me. Educate your spouse, if you have one, and climb on the bandwagon.

You don't need to educate anyone but yourself Bonkers. I'm new to the LCHF too. But was toying with the idea for a while. Having an academic nutritional background, albeit in animals, it seemed to make sense to me. Educate your spouse, if you have one, and climb on the bandwagon.

Will definitely do!

I'm running a small sawing machine, busy cutting Poplars into planks for a project. This morning I was preparing logs for sawing, which involves a lot of physical labour, I was absolutely exhausted after a few hrs, and I had to stop.

My glycogen levels are obviously low, and not being fat adapted.

I only had bullet proof coffee this morning, with cream and mct oil, so will probably have to supplement with carbs next time, I'll take some fruit and berries with to munch on while I'm working.

edit there are lots of brambles around so I should have done a bit of Primal Foraging ;)

Edited by deanbean

Ok so question, appologies if it has been asked before, so I am doing this lchf thing for a couple of weeks, main reason, feeling crap on sugar/starch foods and want to loose some weight. I have seen people in the past have complained about not loosing weight with I think Dale mentioning that the calorie contents of for instance macademias is quite high, ie calorie dense food. Now I have the following problem, I have found that this week that I am hungry, not constantly, but definitely more than in the begining. I am exercising and its going well, get the odd bonk, but seems to be able to get over it. Now as I understand this thing, principle, eat when you are hungry. My carb intake is less than 50g day, but I am concerned with the extra amount of food I have eaten lately, since most of it is quite calorie dense. Will that inhibit my weight loss? Can I continue to eat when hungry? Carb content still under 50g with the extra food, as I am mostly sticking to fatty stuff, like extra bulletproof coffee etc etc.

Ok so question, appologies if it has been asked before, so I am doing this lchf thing for a couple of weeks, main reason, feeling crap on sugar/starch foods and want to loose some weight. I have seen people in the past have complained about not loosing weight with I think Dale mentioning that the calorie contents of for instance macademias is quite high, ie calorie dense food. Now I have the following problem, I have found that this week that I am hungry, not constantly, but definitely more than in the begining. I am exercising and its going well, get the odd bonk, but seems to be able to get over it. Now as I understand this thing, principle, eat when you are hungry. My carb intake is less than 50g day, but I am concerned with the extra amount of food I have eaten lately, since most of it is quite calorie dense. Will that inhibit my weight loss? Can I continue to eat when hungry? Carb content still under 50g with the extra food, as I am mostly sticking to fatty stuff, like extra bulletproof coffee etc etc.

Lot of people on this thread better qualified than me to answer your question but here is my 2c worth.

1. A calorie is a calorie with regards to weight loss, even on LCHF. With the possible exception of MCT oils like coconut.

2. For weight loss you want a 500 kcal daily deficit. Only way to make sure about this is to count calories in vs calories out. Apps like myfitnespall very handy in this regard.

3. Are you eating enough green vegetables and salads? I find my greens cooked with butter or drenched in olive oil very satiating.

Hang in there! Remember what Stephen Covey said: "Nothing tastes as good as thin feels"

Can I continue to eat when hungry? Carb content still under 50g with the extra food, as I am mostly sticking to fatty stuff, like extra bulletproof coffee etc etc.

Just to add to what Sniffie said ...

I believe it's imperative that you eat when hungry, especially in the first few weeks. This period is all about letting your body adapt, not weight loss ... the weight loss may come as a side effect, but rather focus on eating the right foods for the first month to 6 weeks. IF you don't eat when hungry, you will get hungry, frustrated and eventually go back to pizza and beer. Those hunger signals are critical, it's unlikely that you will be able to ignore them long term, so you must find the LCHF foods that suppress them for you.

Day one of my second attempt at this diet. This time as a meat eater. I hope it is easier and more fun than the last effort when I was still a vegetarian.

I have used the last month to adapt to my new carnivorous status. I have stopped using protein shakes and protein bars. The problem is I sometimes forget to eat meat as after most of my adult life as a vege meat just isn't on my menu. I am a fairly good cook but don't know how to cook meat in a tasty way.

I have put on a lot of weight, about 6kg, as I have just not been disciplined. Today is a new beginning

I don't believe I am carb resistant. My blood sauger was measured at 4.2 quite recently and even overweight I am only 80kg at 181cm in height. My plan is to limit carbs to around 100g per day. Breakfast was 2 eggs on spinach with feta cheese and coffee.

Snack is dried wors, an apple and a banana. 2 carrots, cucumber and celery, some nuts. Lunch is chicken livers with a very small amount of brown rice. Supper will be a salad with a vegetable juice.

Combines with this I am back on the bike trainer this evening for an hour. Just going easy. I am combining the diet change with a block of base training. Even on my old diet I never found it difficult to ride 2 or 3 hours with just a small energy drink and water. Don't think I should suffer too much.

My aims for riding are to get back on my old pace from 2 years back when I did a 94.7 in a time of 2:45. I am recently separated from my wife so what with the diet changes lots of stuff is now new. Not so easy at 53

How far backward would you say the occasional cheat sets one back?

Over the weekend I often end up having 2 or 3 castle lights and a slice or two of pizza for example.

I get that its not the right move, but I won't beat myself up either as this is a lifestyle change, not a diet, occasionally I will have to eat higher carb foods (because I am at an event etc).

Castle light seems to have between 5 - 8g carbs per 330ml? 3 pizzza slices around 100g... If the rest of the day is sharp , that's still under 150-200g which while not being a level ok for ketogenic diets, is still pretty low carb?

I started this yesterday, had my first LCHF-friendly home-made muesli this morning, courtesy of my awesome girlfriend (who's also doing all the cooking, she kickstarted the process).

Looking forward to the journey!

couldnt we start a thread with LCHF recipes? i am seriously running out of ideas

Sounds like a good idea to me. but a request .... can we limit it to recipes you have actually tried? If not, it can become a copy and paste mess of folk just posting links :eek:

In the meantime, I use these 2 for fairly easy to make stuff:

Real Meal Revolution by proud foot, creed, noaks, grier

Low Carb Living for Families by Monique Le Roux Forsland

How far backward would you say the occasional cheat sets one back?

Over the weekend I often end up having 2 or 3 castle lights and a slice or two of pizza for example.

I get that its not the right move, but I won't beat myself up either as this is a lifestyle change, not a diet, occasionally I will have to eat higher carb foods (because I am at an event etc).

Castle light seems to have between 5 - 8g carbs per 330ml? 3 pizzza slices around 100g... If the rest of the day is sharp , that's still under 150-200g which while not being a level ok for ketogenic diets, is still pretty low carb?

I think this brings us back to what Noaks, Attia, Ruhl, etc have all been saying for a while now ... no one can tell you what your optimal level of carbs is. If your body is happy on 200g/day, then that's cool. IF not, lower them till you get the right result.

I also believe that if a small relaxation of the "standard" once a week or so works for you, then stick with it - that's much better than being rigid for 2 weeks then spectacularly falling off the bus in a 4-5 day carb frenzy! BTDT! :cursing:

I think the recipe idea thread is a good one. My suggestion tho, is that it is for the stuff that you eat every day.

That's the hard stuff - what are you going to cook with what is in the fridge, after a hard day...?

Would be interesting to see what folks eat for breakfast / lunch - for me breakfast is mainly eggs in some form and it's beginning to get monotonous.

On the subject of recipes, has anyone has success in making pemican?

I've tried both duck lard and olive oil, with finely shredded biltong, but both are too liquid at room temperature. Any other ideas?

I was hoping to be able to form it into a bar, that could be easily carried as a snack food for hikes, etc.

On the subject of recipes, has anyone has success in making pemican?

I've tried both duck lard and olive oil, with finely shredded biltong, but both are too liquid at room temperature. Any other ideas?

I was hoping to be able to form it into a bar, that could be easily carried as a snack food for hikes, etc.

You'll need something very high in saturated fat. Coconut oil is the only thing I can think of, other than rendered animal fat.