To the Roadie on the West Coast Road Last night

Hairy

Arched .... you are really trying to incite users on this thread.

Please could we redirect and get focus back in line.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It is also illegal to be cycling on a public road without lights.

We have police do deal with legalities. If you want to take law into your own hands, then you are effectively promoting mob justice. Sheez, forcing beliefs, mob justice, the Coast Road sounds more like Syria than a nice place to ride.

Forcing your opinion/beliefs on people who see things differently than you, is worse than riding without a light.

On that, we agree.

On the light issue, clearly not. If someone thinks it is common sense to ride around after dark without any form of illumination, considering the level of death on our roads and the increasing occurrence of cyclists being mown down when "the driver did not see them" then I'm afraid that common sense is lacking in that particular person.

And no, I don't thrive on conflict. It invigorates me, sure. But not for the reason you're thinking. It makes me want to find a way to come to a common understanding. Criticism forces me to (potentially) adjust my stance on an issue. I say potentially, as some criticism is warranted, whereas other has no grounds whatsoever and should be considered moot.

Please could we redirect and get focus back in line.

Gladly. Perhaps a good point and even a mulligan for you to make your point. If you could make your point, in summary, without all the adjectives of the original posts, I could even agree with it? Lets see?

We have police do deal with legalities. If you want to take law into your own hands, then you are effectively promoting mob justice. Sheez, forcing beliefs, mob justice, the Coast Road sounds more like Syria than a nice place to ride.

Ok .... my thread and my call ... I say you are a troll.

Unless you have any meaningful to add, please refrain from commenting further. Thanks for playing.

post-5403-0-80519200-1371133797_thumb.jpg

It's called responsible citizenry. Not mob justice. The 2 are very far removed.

It's also how morality is formed - through the evolution of perception and actions. It is a moral obligation to ensure that there is less death on our roads. If that means educating people on the use of lights, the error of running red lights & stop signs, driving in yellow lanes etc, then that is what responsible citizens have to do.

By your reasoning, you're saying that you would not expect a person to help a victim of muggery, or a victim of kidnapping, or someone who jumps red lights etc because there are people in place who are paid to uphold the law, prosecute and chase criminals and rescue kidnapped children / parents etc.

Responsible citizenry means the intervention in certain instances in order to ensure the safety of fellow citizens, amongst other things. Mob Justice, however, is the act of judging that offender and submitting them to a heat of the moment, knee jerk reaction to their wrongdoings - think of the Necklacing incidents in the townships, or the stoning of thieves etc.

2 totally different things - which you should best remember.

It's also how morality is formed - through the evolution of perception and actions. It is a moral obligation to ensure that there is less death on our roads. If that means educating people on the use of lights, the error of running red lights & stop signs, driving in yellow lanes etc, then that is what responsible citizens have to do.

By your reasoning, you're saying that you would not expect a person to help a victim of muggery, or a victim of kidnapping, or someone who jumps red lights etc because there are people in place who are paid to uphold the law, prosecute and chase criminals and rescue kidnapped children / parents etc.

Responsible citizenry means the intervention in certain instances in order to ensure the safety of fellow citizens, amongst other things. Mob Justice, however, is the act of judging that offender and submitting them to a heat of the moment, knee jerk reaction to their wrongdoings - think of the Necklacing incidents in the townships, or the stoning of thieves etc.

I really like what you have said and the way you have said it :thumbup:

Ok .... my thread and my call ... I say you are a troll.

Unless you have any meaningful to add, please refrain from commenting further. Thanks for playing.

haha, actually not a troll............today.

I am really trying to make you see my point, just as you are trying to make me see yours. This does not make me a troll, trying to discredit me with a label like that will also not work.

It is your thread, and I will respect that and not post "edit" much.

1. I agree riding without a light is not clever.

2. I agree that is illegal, stupid, idiotic.

3. I agree you can tell someone they should shape up if they are endagering themselves or others

4. I DISAGREE that you can get upset if that person does not take your advice, they have the right not too, no matter how right you are or believe you are.

Thats it

Edited by ArchedBackChinOut

Gladly. Perhaps a good point and even a mulligan for you to make your point. If you could make your point, in summary, without all the adjectives of the original posts, I could even agree with it? Lets see?

Road cyclist is a repeated offender of not using a light in abject lighting conditions. Hairy decided to attempts a friendly conversation, a number of times, and was told to sod off.

Subsequent conversation on how the roadie (he was riding a road bike) was a tjop due to

1: Not riding in the designated bike lane

2: Insulting Hairy and not using a light when it is common sense to use one.

3: Not being able to back up his claim of pro-dom

haha, actually not a troll............today.

I am really trying to make you see my point, just as you are trying to make me see yours. This does not make me a troll, trying to discredit me with a label like that will also not work.

It is your thread, and I will respect that and not post again.

1. I agree riding without a light is not clever. :thumbup:

2. I agree that is illegal, stupid, idiotic. :thumbup:

3. I agree you can tell someone they should shape up if they are endagering themselves or others :thumbup:

4. I DISAGREE that you can get upset if that person does not take your advice, they have the right not too, no matter how right you are or believe you are. :thumbdown: If what the person was doing was in no way endangering others then I would agree with this point and would not have pushed the matter this far.

Thats its

I really like the logic you used here. Good post, probably your best.

Moral fibre of communities is massively important. Education of better road etiquette is also important.

Telling people how they can cycle better also, I agree with you guys on all these points. Go and do these things, it will make the world a better place.

But once you have made your comment (to help educate) leave it, you cannot MAKE an adult, who chooses to ride a bike in the dark do as you want, it might not be mob justice, but its the same mind set (I used that to make a point, and a joke ps). Coming to the hub to attack the dude, does not help the morality of anything. Just look at the last 2hours of arguing. If the intention was really just to help educate, then the original post would not have been such a personal attack on the dude. Stuff him, let him be the douche, no matter how much you actually just wanted to vent.

I really like what you have said and the way you have said it :thumbup:

You did absolutely the right thing, no doubt...

I just have a feeling that the words you used on page 2 - "... can't wait to see him again" - have contributed to this thread going a lot longer than necessary, and might have been misconstrued as aggressive.

I recommend you dont act like a total chop and turn this into a roadie MTB knobbly thing.

I am sure he cycles because he likes it, just as much as you do. I am also sure if he was to post here, he would probably say your initial vocal exchanges were probably not very polite.

In summary, coming here looking for a reaction with a one sided story just makes you seem the douche. Just saying.

Actually, just consider what you are saying.. you are questioning his fact with your assumption. Sure it is one side of the story, but you don't have any claim to warrant your suggestions, do you?

You did absolutely the right thing, no doubt...

I just have a feeling that the words you used on page 2 - "... can't wait to see him again" - have contributed to this thread going a lot longer than necessary, and might have been misconstrued as aggressive.

could be seen as such and sorry if it was considered as such

I really like the logic you used here. Good post, probably your best.

Moral fibre of communities is massively important. Education of better road etiquette is also important.

Telling people how they can cycle better also, I agree with you guys on all these points. Go and do these things, it will make the world a better place.

But once you have made your comment (to help educate) leave it, you cannot MAKE an adult, who chooses to ride a bike in the dark do as you want, it might not be mob justice, but its the same mind set (I used that to make a point, and a joke ps). Coming to the hub to attack the dude, does not help the morality of anything. Just look at the last 2hours of arguing. If the intention was really just to help educate, then the original post would not have been such a personal attack on the dude. Stuff him, let him be the douche, no matter how much you actually just wanted to vent.

I agree one cannot MAKE him, as in physically take him and force him to buy one and install it on his bike, but in terms of the morally correct thing to do, I believe that one (Hairy in this instance) should take every chance he can get to carry on riling said rider, until such time as he does buy a light. Ostracize him, effectively, until such time as he realises that, by using a light, he is in fact contributing to the safety of fellow cyclists, road users, and pedestrians.

Which is, once again, how moral fibre is reinforced. By MAKING someone realise, through demonstration, example, lecture or otherwise, what the correct course of action should be.

And in terms of your "same mindset as mob justice" argument. That is also flawed. The mindset of one who entertains mob justice is VERY far removed from that of one who wants to impart common sense or moral fibre, and is in fact a responsible citizen.

Mob justice is a very different animal.