Anyone know why Meat smelled like off Mielie Pap

I am really glad that I can buy my meat directly from a farmer locally and it is all free range. Paying R45/kg for lamb and beef. Pork is R30/kg :thumbup: :thumbup: :clap: :clap:

Good stuff!!

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you know that humans are herbivores?

And you believe in Santa, tooth fairy and the Easter Bunny?

Did you know that humans are herbivores?

Teee heeeee ....... You are funny

The filet I had last nite did not say ..... Ouch I am a carrot

Edited by Big H*

I am really glad that I can buy my meat directly from a farmer locally and it is all free range. Paying R45/kg for lamb and beef. Pork is R30/kg :thumbup: :thumbup: :clap: :clap:

Free range pork? Never heard of that. The farmer must be family or good friend to sell it to you so cheaply. He is not making a cent of profit on prices so low.

Free range pork? Never heard of that. The farmer must be family or good friend to sell it to you so cheaply. He is not making a cent of profit on prices so low.

You are right about the pork, but there are farmers who let their pigs out into the veld. Knew a lady who always got 1st prize for her pork she delivered at Escourt and she had her pigs running around freely. Know another farmer who sells his pork to Woolworths and his pigs are also allowed to run free and they call this free range.

The farmer saw a gap in the market. There is no middleman involved, so he can sell cheaper. I would pay about double those prices at a butcher and even more at a supermarket

And you believe in Santa, tooth fairy and the Easter Bunny?

Show me proof that humans are carnivores? Our bodies are not designed to eat meat, yes we can digest it, but that does not make us carnivores, and please don't come with the old chestnut that we have caninies.

Show me proof that humans are carnivores? Our bodies are not designed to eat meat, yes we can digest it, but that does not make us carnivores, and please don't come with the old chestnut that we have caninies.

Humans are not carnivores. We are omnivores. I can't recall him calling us carnivores?

Humans are not carnivores. We are omnivores. I can't recall him calling us carnivores?

We are not even true omnivores either. We choose to eat meat, its not an instinctive thing within our DNA. Edited by SkinnySweatyMan

We are not even true omnivores either. We choose to eat meat, its not an instinctive thing within our DNA.

How do they determine that?

Very interesting subject this...mielies or corn is probably in every food source you buy at shops. Watch an interesting docu about this subject and its amazing if you break down ye ol hamburger from lets say Mickey D's to see that you basically chomping a mielie burger, from the grains that were fed to the cows(for the patties if you can call it that) to the sauces to the fertilizers used for the grains used in the buns....Corn syrup is the devil

Anyhow yes yellow fat on beef indicates that the cow ate primarily grass and yellow comes from the beta carotene levels in the grass. Think I will tan a lekker rump tonight....njom njom njom

Here is a little insert from a site

It is highly unlikely that your grocery store is inaccurately labeling the dates on your meat packages - there is just too much at risk to do so (such as create a food borne illness outbreak)! The reason the fat in your organic meat is yellowish in color is most likely because the steer was grass-fed and this is a sign of a naturally grazed animal. Whereas, cattle that is fed cereals and corn (either for their entire life or just during the final months) will have pearly white fat.

Animals that are “grained” produce fat that is more marbled and more tender then “grazed” animals because they are most likely raised on a feed lot and do not get much exercise. On the other hand, grass-fed animals are most likely “free-range” or “out at pasture” and spend more time moving about and exercising, You can use the color of the fat as an indication of the type of beef you are purchasing if this information isn't explicit in the labeling.

Not so very long ago, grain-fed meat was considered more desirous because of its tenderness and consequently it was quite expensive. However, now grass-fed meat is considered quite desirous because it is leaner (less marbled with fat) and higher in Omega 3 fatty acids then grain-fed meats, and likewise, it too has now become quite expensive.

Whether you like your meat grain-fed (for fattier meat) or grass-feed (for leaner meat), the beef industry has done quite a valiant job of marketing to the current trends in attempt to drive up their potential profits.

We are not even true omnivores either. We choose to eat meat, its not an instinctive thing within our DNA.

Put a steak in front of me, I will show you instinct

Who told you so? Look at any hunter gatherer society through the whole world. The main part of the diet is animal protein. Do you think the San and Khoi bushmen of the Kalahari can survive on grass and tsammas or the Inuit on seaweed?

Put a steak in front of me, I will show you instinct

Yes, I would without thinking go for a plate of meat before I go for a plate of leaves...If that isn't instinct then I don't know what is... Word mongering that is all that this is...

Edited by Octavian

Lucky for me I like mielies.

Just a couple of months ago I found out I like donkey, kangaroo and zebra meat.... All so yummy with mayonnaise.