Sailing

Witkop

Been watching ETNZ train from our beach for months. Not too long ago we were out on the boat and they were reaching across the bay. We were doing 35kts at full throttle and they came past as if we were pedestrians. These boats are awe-inspiring! Somewhere I have video I shot of them doing their earliest foiling tacks, amazing!

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

get a hot chick, a yacht, a camera and start a youtube channel.

where did i go wrong?!

Been watching ETNZ train from our beach for months. Not too long ago we were out on the boat and they were reaching across the bay. We were doing 35kts at full throttle and they came past as if we were pedestrians. These boats are awe-inspiring! Somewhere I have video I shot of them doing their earliest foiling tacks, amazing!

foiling tacks....just can't believe those words go together!

these AC50s are going to be epic, even go quicker round the course than the AC72, so excited.

all getting launched now!

the defenders

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0fIFhxjUTg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkZckD-7DpQ

here is BAR ONE. see how there's blurred stuff in the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSFFrGNY3OQ

the swedes - magic blue

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1-g6mQPuHs

the japs (skippered by kiwi legend Dean barker who got fired after the last one)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMV-HV9jwHc

• 1 month later...

So I've done something for myself for a change - I'm taking my Voortrekker span to the Vaaldam on Saturday to participate in the yearly water-works camp (They're doing a rescue course) and instead of joining them, I enrolled myself into a 5-day sailing course. Something I've always wanted to get into but never had the time or bucks (still don't ha ha) Did a couple of sailing trips around Cape Town ( as moving ballast / expert beer consumer) around 16 years ago ... 

We'll be sailing Hobie 14's for 5 full days. 

We'll be sailing Hobie 14's for 5 full days. 

You'll love it. 

Had a halcat when I was in durbs. Used to sail it at Midmar at least once a month, and then when we went camping over the holidays. 

SUCH a jol. 

You'll love it. 

Had a halcat when I was in durbs. Used to sail it at Midmar at least once a month, and then when we went camping over the holidays. 

SUCH a jol. 

I really hope so ... life's been a bit of a drag lately  :blush:

I really hope so ... life's been a bit of a drag lately  :blush:

It's pretty easy to get to grips with tbh. Angle of attack, using the rudder and main sheet (rope) to manipulate the sail angle. If it starts flapping at the back, pull it a bit tighter. If it's flapping but it's at its tightest, you're "too close" to the wind (the boat is pointing into the wind and the sail can't catch any breeze)

Cats are such fun to sail. Especially when the wind picks up, and you're on one hull and trying to get faster and faster, whilst keeping the leading edge of the water-borne hull from going under and ruining your fun... 

• 2 weeks later...

A metric pantsload of fun was had .... I are now hooked on sailing :) Played with Halcat 16's and a Hobie Tiger (holy crap that's fun)

attachicon.gifWhatsApp Image 2017-04-10 at 20.49.05.jpeg

attachicon.gifWhatsApp Image 2017-04-11 at 11.05.38.jpeg

attachicon.gifWhatsApp Image 2017-04-13 at 18.02.19.jpeg

NICE!!!

The 16 is a whole boatload more fun than the 14. We had the Halcat 14ft, which still had the jib but was a bit more sedate. 

And the Tiger, though old, is also HUGE fun. A sort of early Dart. Which is OMG SO FUN!!!!

Edited by Myles Mayhew

NICE!!!

The 16 is a whole boatload more fun than the 14. We had the Halcat 14ft, which still had the jib but was a bit more sedate. 

And the Tiger, though old, is also HUGE fun. A sort of early Dart. Which is OMG SO FUN!!!!

no no, a tiger is not old. it's an updated hobie 18/f18. had tiger nationals off my balcony the other day.  they had the worlds here about 4 years ago, so lots of recent boats in the fleet

i would drop R100k way quicker on one of these than a spaz mtb

16472893_1641802182502745_47230883721353

no no, a tiger is not old. it's an updated hobie 18/f18. had tiger nationals off my balcony the other day. they had the worlds here about 4 years ago, so lots of recent boats in the fleet

i would drop R100k way quicker on one of these than a spaz mtb

16472893_1641802182502745_47230883721353

Yes you're right.... Was thinking 18. Thought it was called a tiger as well.

• 1 month later...

I saw 40 knots there.... in normal speak, that's 72KPH!!!! 

it's off the charts ridiculous.