Sailing

Witkop

So .... Jan Taks het besluit om vir my 'n speelding te koop vir kersfees.

Hobie 16? or something else? I'll just potter around on Bronkies and Vaaldam mostly, maybe once to twice a month.

Hobie 16 of 'n Dart 18, wenner!

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wowza what a start from Lisboa!  running in 30-35 Knots wind. Watched it live on Facebook (where they do the live streaming) but its all on YouTube

On their way to the Mother City, anyway they choose, I really want to try make it down to check out the boats, In Port race and departure to Oz via the roaring 40's

Thanks for sharing.  Lovely footage.

Wish I could still do it.

yeah, the DART is also a great boat. Farking fast as well. 

Prefered the Dart over the 16.  These dinghies have just become unbelievably expensive.  So much so that I have had to resort to buying and sailing a RCLaser.  Not cheap either.

So .... Jan Taks het besluit om vir my 'n speelding te koop vir kersfees.

Hobie 16? or something else? I'll just potter around on Bronkies and Vaaldam mostly, maybe once to twice a month.

FYI both those boats will require crew on anytime but a drifter.

so you'd normally go for a hobie 14 as 1person.

BUT if you really got the cash, then you get one of these puppies - there are a few floating around normally for about R80k - http://www.hobie.co.za/tiger.html

nah, hobie 16 is fine as a 1-up. Just don't get too greedy with the speed stakes, and keep a firm hand on the main! 

EDIT: If you're going offshore or in a howler, then obviously you'd need a crew. But for normal sailing a solo mission is absolutely fine. Just keep the sails properly trimmed for your weight and the wind speed, and be ready to let it go into the wind at the shortest notice. 

Edited by Myles Mayhew

FYI both those boats will require crew on anytime but a drifter.

so you'd normally go for a hobie 14 as 1person.

BUT if you really got the cash, then you get one of these puppies - there are a few floating around normally for about R80k - http://www.hobie.co.za/tiger.html

Now this is flying.  Serious, serious speed.  I just wish and wish.......

You sail much Rider?

The best one man boat every is a FINN.

However, a laser can provide a lot of fun and challenges as well.

For pottering about, with no intention of really committing to sailing as a sport a hobie 14 or any other cat is great as there is space to take friends for a sail.  However, cats can be a challenge to tack and few people are  eager a gybe in heavy winds.  A Topcat attempted to solve this with a fully battened mainsail without a boom.

Also at one stage every Tom, Dick and Harry had a cat in his drive way, and not every cat is the same.  Maintenance of the shrouds and stays may be patchy on the cheap second hand boats, so it would be wise to get a boat shop, like New Generation Yachting to do a check up and refit if you buy a "bargain".

The best one man boat every is a FINN.

However, a laser can provide a lot of fun and challenges as well.

For pottering about, with no intention of really committing to sailing as a sport a hobie 14 or any other cat is great as there is space to take friends for a sail.  However, cats can be a challenge to tack and few people are  eager a gybe in heavy winds.  A Topcat attempted to solve this with a fully battened mainsail without a boom.

Also at one stage every Tom, **** and Harry had a cat in his drive way, and not every cat is the same.  Maintenance of the shrouds and stays may be patchy on the cheap second hand boats, so it would be wise to get a boat shop, like New Generation Yachting to do a check up and refit if you buy a "bargain".

Nah.....sailed a Finn and found it a barge.  Same as the 505 and FD.

When I was little I  sailed Fireball and Contender.

The Laser beat me hands down, especially at sea!

Would love to just go on one of those olympic class hydrofoil mono hulls for sheer excitement and adrenaline.

Nah.....sailed a Finn and found it a barge.  Same as the 505 and FD.

When I was little I  sailed Fireball and Contender.

The Laser beat me hands down, especially at sea!

Would love to just go on one of those olympic class hydrofoil mono hulls for sheer excitement and adrenaline.

The Moth? That thing is mental... 

yeah, agreed on the others. I used to race a dabchick back in the yesteryears (wasn't that great at it though) but a laser & halcat were my normal boats (family boat was a halcat, family friends had the original laser) whenever we went to Midmar. 

I remember seeing the first 49ers to hit the shores being tested in the Durban harbour. That was the pinnacle at the time. 

Edited by Myles Mayhew

Prefered the Dart over the 16.  These dinghies have just become unbelievably expensive.  So much so that I have had to resort to buying and sailing a RCLaser.  Not cheap either.

Thing is, that even if you build it yourself, it remains an expensive sport. Trying to find decent repairable boats are also a mission.

One should first buy a Laser...it teaches old farts to concentrate while sailing. An unforgiving boat that doesn't allow stupid mistakes.

Then progress to a Hobie 16/16 turbo, you'll get windgat a few times, pitch-pole her, dive a hole through your sail, smack your lip on some unknown nautical thingy and feel very sorry for yourself.

Then you'll sell that, buy a Dart and scare the crap out of yourself and so it goes

One should first buy a Laser...it teaches old farts to concentrate while sailing. An unforgiving boat that doesn't allow stupid mistakes.

Then progress to a Hobie 16/16 turbo, you'll get windgat a few times, pitch-pole her, dive a hole through your sail, smack your lip on some unknown nautical thingy and feel very sorry for yourself.

Then you'll sell that, buy a Dart and scare the crap out of yourself and so it goes

Lasers are wonderfully raw boats to sail. SO simple, yet so unforgiving. But also easy to get going again once you've capsized her. And you WILL capsize her. Repeatedly. And then carry on doing it so that you can practice righting her. 

The Moth? That thing is mental... 

yeah, agreed on the others. I used to race a dabchick back in the yesteryears (wasn't that great at it though) but a laser & halcat were my normal boats (family boat was a halcat, family friends had the original laser) whenever we went to Midmar. 

I remember seeing the first 49ers to hit the shores being tested in the Durban harbour. That was the pinnacle at the time. 

Yip, 49er.  Would just love to sail that machine.

Done the building, done the pitch-polling, done the wave riding and still I would go back to the mono-hull.

Dabbies in the Durban Bay were a sight to behold.  Don't see them too much these days.

Nothing capsized easier than a Contender, nothing.  It had the same handicap as a Fireball but only had a main.  I used to sail in a wetsuit mid Summer.  Thing used to plane to windward and then I used to fall off.

Edited by Sepia

The challenge is always to be able to match crew, with sailing conditions and boat.

A new Finn (Pata or Devoti) in the right hands and wind conditions can be a monster boat to race, (considering it is seen as a heavy weight Olympic boat which really gets going in 15-20 knots)

Older Finns in light winds are harder to move around. 

In the Cape the Sonnet (with their heavy winds) is very popular and responsive.

In the TVL (Pretoria) the dolphin with its massive sail area is a popular choice, but then the Finn is also very poplar with a lighter skipper (as there is less wind)