Sailing

Witkop

Out of interest why is sailing a dying sport. Except for the top end guys in their high performance boats (finns, lasers, 505's) most for the fleet is second hands with old sails. The set up costs for a started dinghy is barely that of a entry level mountain bike.

Has sailing become so elitist that even the Gupta's feel threatened?

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Kalahari ou

Well I thought it was expensive... Then isn't it a lot of a schlep? You need water also...

I agree it is a bit of a dying sport- I reckon they should push it more in Universities...

I think alot of the decline is partly our own blame. The biggest problem is not money – there are boats a plenty still floating around or in storage somewhere. We just haven’t struck up a chord to get people to give it a try...

Another reason I think is to blame is the level of competition sailing now has created- It's too much about winning and not so much about the fun

Well I thought it was expensive... Then isn't it a lot of a schlep? You need water also...

:P Looks like the Kalahari could be perfect to start a new craze

http://www.highonadventure.com/Hoa06aug/Larry/Elaborate%20Land%20Yachts.jpghttp://b.vimeocdn.com/ts/179/072/17907279_640.jpg

Edited by Jaguar Shark

I have a catamaran I havent used in years actually makes me sad. But the clubs are also pricey tk get into. I have always loved sailing.

Used to sail many eons ago... In my case, don't live near a club, don't have the space to store a boat at home so just too much schlep. My free time goes into cycling now anyways..

Miss it sometimes though...

Guest Kalahari ou

I just have a sinking feeling the sport wont come back...

Guest Kalahari ou
Out of interest why is sailing a dying sport. Except for the top end guys in their high performance boats (finns, lasers, 505's) most for the fleet is second hands with old sails. The set up costs for a started dinghy is barely that of a entry level mountain bike.

Has sailing become so elitist that even the Gupta's feel threatened?

You guys maybe just need to anchor the support?

Guest Kalahari ou

Oh hell... I cant keep these puns at bay!!!!!

Guest Kalahari ou

But you have to seas an opportunity when you sea one...

Guest Kalahari ou

Agh what the hell... the most I can get is a stern warning

Guest Kalahari ou

Well isnt this thread going swimmingly?