Your Enduro ride

RockCoach

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Badass SS there Dan - I love the simplicity of a SS. Must be like a big BMX?!

Don't suppose you've sent it down Hakahana SP2 peppercorns before? IF you have, you're the man!!

My HT Ragley Marley SS has been down SP2...

With you still attached, or jettisoned off to the side? :)

Actually I wasn't the one riding it. My buddy Nev was that day. Let's just say he ordered his Ragley Bluepig soon after.

That must be a brain rattling experience of note! But hats off and big respect to the HT guys doing such events!

Nev with the hippy helmet?

This is awesome! Hardtails shredding at Enduro Events makes me happy  :D

No need wasting money on Fullsus bikes to enjoy the trails. 

That must be a brain rattling experience of note! But hats off and big respect to the HT guys doing such events!

Nev with the hippy helmet?

There can only be one!

Nev the Rad :D

Fitted the Pike to my Reign late last week. Simply dropped in a 1 1/8 top bearing and whatever that tapered split washer thing is called plus a new bearing cover and some reduced size spacers. I left the steerer quite long and will play around a bit before shortening it, if at all. Just compressing the fork tells you its something special. Almost no stiction and as smooth as silk. The knobs are oversize and easy to turn with nice satifysingly clear clicks when turned. Adjustment range is great and its nice to have independent low speed compression adjustment in the fully open mode. The pedal and lockout modes are quite stiff and totally locked out and I doubt I'll use them that much except on longer XC type rides. I could feel the difference in weight between the Pike and old Fox Talas - its about 115g. A quick street test didnt establish much other than I could ride  into low pavements without lifting teh front and hardly feel them, and  front wheel stoppies were so much easier. I rode the bike at Nixon's  yesterday and the front and back suspension now feel harmonious ie the plush rear now has a plush front to match it.

I also fitted a new 10spd Saint shifter. i have never owned the upper end Shimano stuff before and it is something of a revelation. It has longer shift levers and ball bearings and also allows multiple down and upshifts. It handles my XT clutch derailleur clutch on far better than the SLX shifter did  and came with a full set of cable accessories.  Not bad for about R400 odd online.

New Minion DHR on the back is now officially the easiest to inflate tubeless tyre I have ever tried. Added sealant and pumped it up with some rather lazy pump strokes - voila.

With beafier but lighter fork and some tyre weight reduction via the Minion ( vs HD Super Gravity) bike clocks in at 14kg on the nose.

post-14003-0-22167900-1426497423_thumb.jpg

post-14003-0-33889600-1426497425_thumb.jpg

post-14003-0-15475300-1426497427_thumb.jpg

post-14003-0-69362100-1426497430_thumb.jpg

post-14003-0-39447000-1426497433_thumb.jpg

post-14003-0-35280900-1426497441_thumb.jpg

Fitted the Pike to my Reign late last week. Simply dropped in a 1 1/8 top bearing and whatever that tapered split washer thing is called plus a new bearing cover and some reduced size spacers. I left the steerer quite long and will play around a bit before shortening it, if at all. Just compressing the fork tells you its something special. Almost no stiction and as smooth as silk. The knobs are oversize and easy to turn with nice satifysingly clear clicks when turned. Adjustment range is great and its nice to have independent low speed compression adjustment in the fully open mode. The pedal and lockout modes are quite stiff and totally locked out and I doubt I'll use them that much except on longer XC type rides. I could feel the difference in weight between the Pike and old Fox Talas - its about 115g. A quick street test didnt establish much other than I could ride into low pavements without lifting teh front and hardly feel them, and front wheel stoppies were so much easier. I rode the bike at Nixon's yesterday and the front and back suspension now feel harmonious ie the plush rear now has a plush front to match it.

I also fitted a new 10spd Saint shifter. i have never owned the upper end Shimano stuff before and it is something of a revelation. It has longer shift levers and ball bearings and also allows multiple down and upshifts. It handles my XT clutch derailleur clutch on far better than the SLX shifter did and came with a full set of cable accessories. Not bad for about R400 odd online.

New Minion DHR on the back is now officially the easiest to inflate tubeless tyre I have ever tried. Added sealant and pumped it up with some rather lazy pump strokes - voila.

With beafier but lighter fork and some tyre weight reduction via the Minion ( vs HD Super Gravity) bike clocks in at 14kg on the nose.

Nice!!!

Siiiick!

Is a saint shifter equivalent to an xtr shifter or xt?

AFAIK the same level as XTR only not as light.

If it has ball bearings it must have the precision and feel of xtr?

Those levers with virtually no side to side play, that for me is one of the main reasons that make xtr better than Xt, feature set is otherwise pretty much identical and weight difference is negligible?

http://dirtragmag.com/saintm820/

Conclusion

There’s no denying this is the cream of the Shimano gravity crop. If you’re a high-level athlete and/or have the budget to justify the best of the best, Saint is the right choice. However, Shimano complicated the decision for riders on a budget by offer the Zee group, which performs nearly as well for a fraction of the price. If you’re on the fence between the two, I’d consider splurging for the Saint shifter and derailleur, but opting for Zee everywhere else.

For us, the most impressive part of the 2013 Saint Groupset is the new shifter pod. It’s basically a modified XTR shifter with longer, more ergonomically designed paddles. To prevent the longer shift levers from binding, they rotate on bearings and the result is light, snappy shifting every time. It didn’t take long to get used to the double down shift and it is ideal for dumping gears as you drop in at the start of a trail and quickly pick up speed. Even the single down shift feels more positive than current XTR.

According to Shimano this is the first shifter corrected for Shadow Plus derailleurs so it doesn’t get stiffer as you shift up the cassette. In reality it does get stiffer, but it’s not as pronounced as on XTR.

Read more at http://www.mbr.co.uk/reviews/shifters/shimano-saint-groupset-review#gkw9OX1ooQKeUGm9.99

Archived