Your Enduro ride

RockCoach

coming off the giant with a 69 degree HA, i thought the Patrol's 65 deg HA would be abit of a pain when it comes to climbs and tight corners. I was pleasantly surprised. So doubt you'll feel much difference between the 66 and 67. But you are correct in attempting to find something more appropriate for local conditions. but don't be shy to lean toward something that favours more aggressive riding. These modern geos are very versatile.

Yea technology has come a long way and they can get these bikes fine tuned very well.Phia said to me look at the Spitfire rather then the Rune because the Rune is a bit much for our trails,now I'm looking at Transition. The thing is the Rune is a lot like the Patrol so now you are making me think. The Patrol has similar HA to the SC Nomad.What size is your Patrol?

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yea technology has come a long way and they can get these bikes fine tuned very well.Phia said to me look at the Spitfire rather then the Rune because the Rune is a bit much for our trails,now I'm looking at Transition. The thing is the Rune is a lot like the Patrol so now you are making me think. The Patrol has similar HA to the SC Nomad.What size is your Patrol?

Size medium.

the numbers between the medium Transition Patrol and the medium SC Nomad are interesting:

I condensed the numbers from the two tables further down, green boxes indicate a larger dimension.

post-6789-0-57998700-1430042211_thumb.jpg

Here are the numbers for all sizes of both brands:

Transition Patrol:

post-6789-0-09329300-1430042464_thumb.jpg

SC Nomad:

post-6789-0-65517600-1430042490_thumb.jpg

That is interesting I will definitely be

a Xl in the Patrol seeing that I am 192cm

Or about 6ft2

192 is about 6ft4, not 6'2"!

EDIT: I'd probably be on the Large Patrol and XL Nomad. At 6ft

192 is about 6ft4, not 6'2"!

EDIT: I'd probably be on the Large Patrol and XL Nomad. At 6ft

to be exact it is 6ft29921inches so pretty close, but it doesn't matter much I will have to take a XL. If I was looking at the Reign it would be a large. Damn us tall bastards always have problems finding things to fit us.

to be exact it is 6ft29921inches so pretty close, but it doesn't matter much I will have to take a XL. If I was looking at the Reign it would be a large. Damn us tall bastards always have problems finding things to fit us.

I'm looking at the new reign in a large. Saw an xl yesterday and it really didn't look large at all. Guy riding it was about 6f2 or 6f3 or so...

I'm looking at the new reign in a large. Saw an xl yesterday and it really didn't look large at all. Guy riding it was about 6f2 or 6f3 or so...

Damn I told the guys from the lbs that I should be on a xl and they are adamant I have to take a large

Damn I told the guys from the lbs that I should be on a xl and they are adamant I have to take a large

best get on one to find out. How tall is Minnaar? Him and Peaty apparently have XXL bikes specially built for them. No more mucking around with offset headsets to get the reach right. But check this for ridiculous!

Minnaar usually runs a high handlebar setup, and has the reputation of experimenting with bar height depending on the steepness of the course. In order to reduce the amount of weight on the front wheel, Minnaar went with a huge 32mm stack of stem spacers and raised the crowns on the front fork. This wasn’t an easy process; with Marsh having to get some long bolts custom made for the adjustment.

http://cdn.mos.bikeradar.imdserve.com/images/news/2014/05/06/1399272882368-1f0or0bqeca0a-960-540.jpg

A look at the custom Chris King 'Buzz Works' 8mm offset headset and 32mm additional stem spacer stack

All of the Santa Cruz Syndicate team, including Minnaar, Steve Peat and Josh Bryceland tower at around 6ft 3in, and even the production extra-large frame size isn’t quite enough for Minnaar or Peat. To help with this, Chris King’s ‘Buzz Works’ prototype shop made some custom offset headsets to give even greater reach, placing the 1 1/8in steerer tube 8mm forward of the stock position in the 1.5in headtube. 

Granted, that mega-spacer-sandwich is for the steep stuff, so maybe not quite applicable to you MariusKlokkie. It's more the size reference. 

Ah Cap, you beat me to it! Funny how SC make bikes for hobits yet they employ the giants (literally and figuratively) of the DH world.

best get on one to find out. How tall is Minnaar? Him and Peaty apparently have XXL bikes specially built for them. No more mucking around with offset headsets to get the reach right. But check this for ridiculous!

Granted, that mega-spacer-sandwich is for the steep stuff, so maybe not quite applicable to you MariusKlokkie. It's more the size reference.

I am about as tall as Greg,that spacing is mad. Won't it be nice if we all could afford to experiment like these guys do.

One of the guys on the reign thread is riding an xl. Can't recall who it is,but I think he's 6f4.

Essentially it's all about how far you want your reach to be, and whether you can fit on that size with the dropper on there and how you want the bike to handle under you. (as an example I have a 84cm inseam and can fit on the large reign with About 3cm to spare on a 150mm Lev - it has a shorter seat tube than my current large reign x, but with ~55mm more reach & ~25mm longer ett - xl frame I'd probably have to run a 125mm dropper and would have an ett measurement of ~50mm more than I have at the moment and ~75mm or so more reach)

A mate of mine (mada3400) is about the same height as you and I'd stick him on an xl any day of the week.

Edit: I want a reach of approx 450mm or so. Thats 5 cm more than my current reach of 403mm (on a LARGE!!!)

That puts me into the large/xl bracket, depending on the frame.

Edit: numbers.

One of the guys on the reign thread is riding an xl. Can't recall who it is,but I think he's 6f4.

Essentially it's all about how far you want your reach to be, and whether you can fit on that size with the dropper on there and how you want the bike to handle under you. (as an example I have a 84cm inseam and can fit on the large reign with About 3cm to spare on a 150mm Lev - it has a shorter seat tube than my current large reign x, but with ~50mm more reach - xl frame I'd probably have to run a 125mm dropper and would have an ett measurement of ~60mm more than I have at the moment and ~70m or so more reach)

A mate of mine (mada3400) is about the same height as you and I'd stick him on an xl any day of the week.

Edit: I want a reach of approx 450mm or so. Thats 5 cm more than my current reach of 403mm (on a LARGE!!!)

That puts me into the large/xl bracket, depending on the frame.

I would like more reach then I had before as well a bit more breathing space to move. My previous bikes TT was 620mm so anything above that will help a lot.

I would like more reach then I had before as well a bit more breathing space to move. My previous bikes TT was 620mm so anything above that will help a lot.

What was the previous bikes reach? Stem length?

I'd still say you'd be better off on an xl. But you're probably on the cusp

Archived