Robodog

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hey guys,

need some help with a Head angle issue.

im not too happy with the 69deg on my gt , but otherwise I Freaking love it!!

ive put a 2.1 tire on the back and a 2.4 upfront and it has helped slightly but

I want to get a angle set, but looking at the choices and top and bottom cup and a few WTFs??? later I need some help !

I would like to slacken the head angle by 1.5 deg as this is the most apparently,

what would be the best option, both practically and fiscally .

headtube length : 130.04 mm

headtube diameter: 1.125

straight headtube (not tapered)

Fox 32 Talas R, 110 - 130 - 150mm adjustable travel

thank in advance!!

Sup dude... AFAIK the ability to slacken ones HA through an angleset is directly related to the diameter and length of your head tube. If it's long and narrow you can't angle it as much as if it's wider and shorter, if you get what I mean.

So - besides an angleset, the only other option is to get a fork with a longer axle to crown measurement. But - and this is a big one - it'd have to be quite a large difference in order to translate into a 1.5 degree difference. Other option is to put an external lower headset bearing in, so that your head tube is extended slightly and the front of the bike is lifted a bit. But then you get issues with your bar height and consequently Climbing ability is affected and your ride changes completely.

So those are the 3 options...

Angleset (cane Creek / Chris king)

External lower headset cup assembly thing

Bigger fork with longer a2c measurement.

Best option would obviously be the angleset as it can be moved and restored to factory settings when you sell it, and doesn't affect the climbing as much as getting a longer fork or putting an external bearing and spacer in at the bottom would (you can raise the bars with spacers, you can't lower the bars by removing a portion of head tube unless you've already got spacers in place...

CROW can expand on this...

Edited by cpt armpies mayhem

hey guys,

need some help with a Head angle issue.

im not too happy with the 69deg on my gt , but otherwise I Freaking love it!!

ive put a 2.1 tire on the back and a 2.4 upfront and it has helped slightly but

I want to get a angle set, but looking at the choices and top and bottom cup and a few WTFs??? later I need some help !

I would like to slacken the head angle by 1.5 deg as this is the most apparently,

what would be the best option, both practically and fiscally .

headtube length : 130.04 mm

headtube diameter: 1.125

straight headtube (not tapered)

Fox 32 Talas R, 110 - 130 - 150mm adjustable travel

thank in advance!!

With the skinny headtube the only option I've seen is the works components headset that will give 1°.

Search on the forum on MTBR.com in the GT section, there is a thread dedicated to Forces and Sanctions.

There the guys have used offset bushings to drop the BB and slacken the headtube.

Another thing they've done is to short shock the rear shock. i.e. using a 165mm shock instead of a 190mm. This lowers the travel to about 100mm but also lowers the BB and slackens the the head angle.

I'll send you some links this evening.

Edited by Flowta

Guest Omega Man

A friend of mine has a GT Force and he's slackened the head angle by making a custom front shock mount. Effectively moving the front mount of the shock forward in the frame and dropping the bb height and head angle.

A friend of mine has a GT Force and he's slackened the head angle by making a custom front shock mount. Effectively moving the front mount of the shock forward in the frame and dropping the bb height and head angle.

Any chance you can get a picture of it?

Have a Sanction myself, busy building up a Force for my wife (will also be a spare bike for me :thumbup: )

Guest Omega Man

Any chance you can get a picture of it?

Have a Sanction myself, busy building up a Force for my wife (will also be a spare bike for me :thumbup: )

There we go. I think he's also running a different stroke shock from std. I think he's running a dhx air 4.

post-18968-0-60671200-1382849788_thumb.jpg

Edited by Omega Man

Guest Omega Man

That's awesome, oh mega...

It's Christo's bike. Duran's old man. He is a serial tinkerer. He did a similar thing to his Morewood Zuza.

It's Christo's bike. Duran's old man. He is a serial tinkerer. He did a similar thing to his Morewood Zuza.

Suppose i shouldn't be surprised given his efficiency with droppers et al...

Sorry, quick detour.. Who has these locally? Last I heard was Yellow Saddle but never had any luck with them. Anyone know?

DRC DH21 32 hole 26"

post-13110-0-29654500-1382854639_thumb.jpg

Sorry, quick detour.. Who has these locally? Last I heard was Yellow Saddle but never had any luck with them. Anyone know?

DRC DH21 32 hole 26"

post-13110-0-29654500-1382854639_thumb.jpg

Give Greame at the cycle hub a call, he was trying to sell me on some not to long ago.

With the skinny headtube the only option I've seen is the works components headset that will give 1°.

Search on the forum on MTBR.com in the GT section, there is a thread dedicated to Forces and Sanctions.

There the guys have used offset bushings to drop the BB and slacken the headtube.

Another thing they've done is to short shock the rear shock. i.e. using a 165mm shock instead of a 190mm. This lowers the travel to about 100mm but also lowers the BB and slackens the the head angle.

I'll send you some links this evening.

hey flowta , thanks , do you have those links please , thanks!!

Sup dude... AFAIK the ability to slacken ones HA through an angleset is directly related to the diameter and length of your head tube. If it's long and narrow you can't angle it as much as if it's wider and shorter, if you get what I mean.

So - besides an angleset, the only other option is to get a fork with a longer axle to crown measurement. But - and this is a big one - it'd have to be quite a large difference in order to translate into a 1.5 degree difference. Other option is to put an external lower headset bearing in, so that your head tube is extended slightly and the front of the bike is lifted a bit. But then you get issues with your bar height and consequently Climbing ability is affected and your ride changes completely.

So those are the 3 options...

Angleset (cane Creek / Chris king)

External lower headset cup assembly thing

Bigger fork with longer a2c measurement.

Best option would obviously be the angleset as it can be moved and restored to factory settings when you sell it, and doesn't affect the climbing as much as getting a longer fork or putting an external bearing and spacer in at the bottom would (you can raise the bars with spacers, you can't lower the bars by removing a portion of head tube unless you've already got spacers in place...

CROW can expand on this...

major thanks!!

:thumbup: