Ironman 2014 - 10 Years of Ironman in PE

Garfield2010

The bike was amazing. First loop was amazing and something that I'd love to ride again. Great views, tonnes of smiles and the surface (compared to Gauteng roads with potholes) was completely fine for me. Water points were great, except that I did not manage to get GU chomps until the final water station and I did bargain on these for my nutrition. Second lap was equally as scenic, but the wind did take a little bit of the smile off of my face. Finished in 6:55 just within the first half of the field.

Yip, agreed!

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well that was fun! Cycled 40 minutes longer than last year even though I was much fitter.

Swam fast but I sighted the wrong buoy so I think I swam 5km in 01h15 which is not bad. 3 okes followed me in the water so sorry abut that guys.

It is impossible to prepare for that bike course when you live in the Free State. I didn't enjoy the new sections at all. I did a PB by 4 minutes and came in at 12h13. I ran 04h05 which I am very happy with and thus was my ultimate goal.

Personally I will not enter for next year unless they change the route back or I move to PE or the cradle :w00t: .

I am not complaining about the difficultness as it is an Ironman but that cycling route is not nice to ride. IMHO it is outright dangerous. A TT bike and carbon wheels is not made for excessive braking.

Consider taking a road bike for that route.

Svan I guess our opinions are different but I believe the number entries will prove if the route is OK or not. IMSA is a business and they need athletes to make profits. I think they will struggle to get 1,500 entries for next year but we shall see.

After the shower and dinner I stood in front of the Summerstrand hotel (just before going back into town from the university) and supported the 16 hour + finishers. It was around 23h30. I saw a different side to IM. A lot of athletes told me that I can too do an IM next year and I felt to *** to tell them I did do it :eek: same day!!

Yeah, I guess our perceptions of the bike are all subjective. I thoroughly enjoyed the new course - the scenery, views, coastal sections - and only 2 laps as opposed to the boring old 3 made the ride experince much better for me. I suppose I train in cradle so the hills were fine for me. Yes I also suffered in the wind, but that's PE... I'm not trying to convince you that it is a better course, just saying I enjoyed it more and thought it was fine. Yes we would all love a course with 180km of smooth tar, no hills or wind. Don't think you'll find that anywhere in SA. Do Ironman Flordia ;)Just have to disagree with the point that the course is better suited to a road bike. 90kms of flat riding into the wind means a TT bike would smash a road bike time any day. Even with a huge Westerly a TT bike will be faster. There was really only one very tricky/ technical turn where you had to brake hard and a road bike might be quicker, but I didn't use much brakes at all otherwise. I did sit up to "airbrake" some really fast sections and control speed.Otherwise, I have to say I have masses of respect for those fininshing after 15 hours. We also stayed around to see some of the last finishers. Man that is a long, painful day. I was on my last run lap and the last guys were coming in to make bike cut-off. Some of them had cycle times over 9 hours! I couldn't imagine doing that and only then start the run... Huge cudo's to those guys and girls who are now IRONMEN, no matter the time!

Yeah, I guess our perceptions of the bike are all subjective. I thoroughly enjoyed the new course - the scenery, views, coastal sections - and only 2 laps as opposed to the boring old 3 made the ride experince much better for me. I suppose I train in cradle so the hills were fine for me. Yes I also suffered in the wind, but that's PE... I'm not trying to convince you that it is a better course, just saying I enjoyed it more and thought it was fine. Yes we would all love a course with 180km of smooth tar, no hills or wind. Don't think you'll find that anywhere in SA. Do Ironman Flordia ;)Just have to disagree with the point that the course is better suited to a road bike. 90kms of flat riding into the wind means a TT bike would smash a road bike time any day. Even with a huge Westerly a TT bike will be faster. There was really only one very tricky/ technical turn where you had to brake hard and a road bike might be quicker, but I didn't use much brakes at all otherwise. I did sit up to "airbrake" some really fast sections and control speed.Otherwise, I have to say I have masses of respect for those fininshing after 15 hours. We also stayed around to see some of the last finishers. Man that is a long, painful day. I was on my last run lap and the last guys were coming in to make bike cut-off. Some of them had cycle times over 9 hours! I couldn't imagine doing that and only then start the run... Huge cudo's to those guys and girls who are now IRONMEN, no matter the time!

I am not worried about the hills or wind. The road surface is my problem.

I thought the road surface was pretty good, only a few rough sections, but I only inflated to 7.5 bar after driving the course and realising that too hard would be harsh. There were a few dangerous corners, but at least I knows what was coming. I had a sketchy moment when I took the corner after that smooth downhill when i took the tiger line and had to bunny hop the drainage grate. My advice to anyone doing next year is to preride or drive the course

I thought the road surface was pretty good, only a few rough sections, but I only inflated to 7.5 bar after driving the course and realising that too hard would be harsh. There were a few dangerous corners, but at least I knows what was coming. I had a sketchy moment when I took the corner after that smooth downhill when i took the tiger line and had to bunny hop the drainage grate. My advice to anyone doing next year is to preride or drive the course

Do the Herald

i want to be there. i see one guy using a snorkle in the swim, didn't think that was allowed

Yup, it is. Not sure what happened to that athlete, but should have been disqualified

Garfield i'm really not saying this to have a go, but these roads are a LOT better than the majority of the roads that I ever get to ride on. The beachfront and Walmer / Buffelsfontein stretch was really smooth and granted the remainder of the 70 km/s of the course was mostly coarse asphalt with the odd speedpump thrown into the mix.

Never used carbon wheels, but is it not perhaps a combination of the wheels and tyre pressures that could have been the cause of the discomfort? Just asking, I've never considered the possible difference in comfort as a result of wheel material / construction.

I might be biased though as I'm more of a mountain biker than a triathlete, so bumpy rides and shitty roads have a tendency to get me smiling...

remember my theory that the change in bike course was only to increase the field and make more money(admittedly a solid business decision) with no regard to the actual athlete experience? Well garf can only but agree to that now. My assertion was that they did it in a sneaky way.

Anyway, I think I need to concede that it's quite a spicy bike route and an improvement visually. >Looking at chris hitchcock's pics of the ride it looks lekker scenic.

10015062_10152063316673963_516916338_n.jpg

10155066_10152063316373963_2102817995_n.jpg

Yup, it is. Not sure what happened to that athlete, but should have been disqualified

Wife told me she saw a guy without legs being taken into the water just before the green caps went off - could this not be him? Would like to know how a person without adequate ability to breathe to the side would sight in open water though. Given that the video was also shown on the big screens at the awards evening I would think that the guy had a disability (if I can use that word to describe an IM competitor) rather than being a cheat.

on the topic of disabilities. I seriously admire the guys that do this event with any kind of disability and I think they deserve some special allowances.

I have a question though and this is not to be funny at all but rather something I simply am curious to know as I only thought of it while watching the clip. In the video is a guy that does not have the use of his legs and he "cycles" the cycle route with his arms. Do they do the cycle leg of the race like this and then carry on and do the run leg of the race the same way? Do they effectively complete both legs of the race pedalling with their arms?

on the topic of disabilities. I seriously admire the guys that do this event with any kind of disability and I think they deserve some special allowances.

I have a question though and this is not to be funny at all but rather something I simply am curious to know as I only thought of it while watching the clip. In the video is a guy that does not have the use of his legs and he "cycles" the cycle route with his arms. Do they do the cycle leg of the race like this and then carry on and do the run leg of the race the same way? Do they effectively complete both legs of the race pedalling with their arms?

he changes from the "hand" cycle to a racing wheelchair

(apologies I don't know the correct terms)

Archived