Ironman 2014 - 10 Years of Ironman in PE

Garfield2010

ok, will give some feedback if i decide to do the full lap. Having done it in 2012 I know most of the lap. might just end up doing 70km or so....starting at the downhill after mount pleasant.

Having said that....it will be a very easy ride....so hopefully the hills will feel easier than on race day.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The problem here is wind direction could effect this massively...

If it is an East you can forget about your bike time you had planned

The East will be in your face for the last +- 50 kms

If it is an East you can forget about your bike time you had planned

The East will be in your face for the last +- 50 kms

How is your training coming bro?

Well I have adjusted my planning as if the easterly bitch is blowing. If its West then it should be easier to adjust than the other way round. I also had to give up my initial planned finishing time (for now) as it will need to be readjusted as the weather changes.

The only concrete thing I am planning is a sub 4 marathon. What happens before that I am not too concerned about time wise. So I will race for a 4 hour marathon even if I have to bike a 06h30 to achieve that....

Hopefully if it is east, it will still be relatively calm on lap 1...

I can give you guys a bit of feed back on the course having trained on the course.

From the Transition area to top of Mount Pleasant most of you will know this section. Gradual climb with the Fire station Hill and Mount Pleasant hills having a little kick in them. Nothing serious. To top of Mount Pleasant is about 15 km.

At the top of Mount Pleasant you will have a nice fast ride to the Old Sea View Road turn off which will be about +- 7 kms

The fun then starts. You will have about a 500m climb and then it has a slight drop and you will turn left onto lake farm road. Here you will have a climb of exactly 1 km. It is a steep climb that will be a little nasty on your second lap. Also remember when you get to the top you will think you are finished the climb however you will have another little hill to tackle before descending down to the lake. You will go around the lake for about 4 Kms with small climbs in it.

You then turn left onto Kragga Kamma. Here you will have a long 4 -5 km drag that feels like it never ends. I Hate this part. Put it in your small ring and just get the legs ticking over. At the top of this drag you will have a nice reward. You now approach desades road (Spelling). It is a nice fast section with a small climb but you should have enough speed to roll over the top. It then carries on towards Maitland still at a nice fast pace. Maitlands is your last big climb before returning to Hobie Beach. From the bottom of Maitlands to the top is 2 kms. The climb is enjoyable (not sure how enjoyable on the Second loop) just look at your beautiful view on the right and before you know it you at the top.

You now have 50 kms left until you back at Hobie beach. It is generally flat HOWEVER there are two small climbs leaving Seaview. They can hurt you a little if you not prepared for them.

You should currently be praying for a nice light Westerly wind that will be on your tail all the way home from Maitlands that will help you get those deep section wheels moving nicely along home. Do not push to hard on the first lap back to hobie. You might feel encouraged to do so because your climbing is over for the loop and the road invites you to give it a good crank but remember you have to go do those hills again..

How is your training coming bro?

Been Okish. Mnaged to do the long stuff but not the short sharp stuff as I have been very busy. Just looking to go out and have fun now and thrown all times and expectations out the window.

Hows yours?

Been Okish. Mnaged to do the long stuff but not the short sharp stuff as I have been very busy. Just looking to go out and have fun now and thrown all times and expectations out the window.

Hows yours?

Same boat, got a lot of the long stuff in but probably lacking in the sharp stuff as well. 25km run tomorrow, sharp 80km ride on the weekend some over distance swims and then fingers crossed!

I can give you guys a bit of feed back on the course having trained on the course.

From the Transition area to top of Mount Pleasant most of you will know this section. Gradual climb with the Fire station Hill and Mount Pleasant hills having a little kick in them. Nothing serious. To top of Mount Pleasant is about 15 km.

At the top of Mount Pleasant you will have a nice fast ride to the Old Sea View Road turn off which will be about +- 7 kms

The fun then starts. You will have about a 500m climb and then it has a slight drop and you will turn left onto lake farm road. Here you will have a climb of exactly 1 km. It is a steep climb that will be a little nasty on your second lap. Also remember when you get to the top you will think you are finished the climb however you will have another little hill to tackle before descending down to the lake. You will go around the lake for about 4 Kms with small climbs in it.

You then turn left onto Kragga Kamma. Here you will have a long 4 -5 km drag that feels like it never ends. I Hate this part. Put it in your small ring and just get the legs ticking over. At the top of this drag you will have a nice reward. You now approach desades road (Spelling). It is a nice fast section with a small climb but you should have enough speed to roll over the top. It then carries on towards Maitland still at a nice fast pace. Maitlands is your last big climb before returning to Hobie Beach. From the bottom of Maitlands to the top is 2 kms. The climb is enjoyable (not sure how enjoyable on the Second loop) just look at your beautiful view on the right and before you know it you at the top.

You now have 50 kms left until you back at Hobie beach. It is generally flat HOWEVER there are two small climbs leaving Seaview. They can hurt you a little if you not prepared for them.

You should currently be praying for a nice light Westerly wind that will be on your tail all the way home from Maitlands that will help you get those deep section wheels moving nicely along home. Do not push to hard on the first lap back to hobie. You might feel encouraged to do so because your climbing is over for the loop and the road invites you to give it a good crank but remember you have to go do those hills again..

Thanks Fabes, that was a good run through of the new part of the route.

Will you join me on a cycle of this new section on Sat?

Thanks Fabes, that was a good run through of the new part of the route.

Will you join me on a cycle of this new section on Sat?

I would love too

Any chance that some the guys are planning on doing the route on Sunday?

there is an ocean series race on which I am doing on Sunday

Hi chaps, after the discussion with the surgeon, decided it will be better to operate and get on the mend ASAP, very disappointing, but for the best.

You guys must all smash it, love every minute of it.. When are hurting on that run, think of me and love the fact that you get to experience the pain and eventual glory... Good luck!!!

wow man that really sucks. Your closing words are spot on - I have been feeling a bit sorry for myself as training has just not materialised with a mix of travel, sickness and work pressure - but your situation is a reminder that it could be worse, and that the dayt is something to savour (even if I end up doing 17hours of savouring as may well be the case!)

Hope the op goes / went well

Well I have adjusted my planning as if the easterly bitch is blowing. If its West then it should be easier to adjust than the other way round. I also had to give up my initial planned finishing time (for now) as it will need to be readjusted as the weather changes.

The only concrete thing I am planning is a sub 4 marathon. What happens before that I am not too concerned about time wise. So I will race for a 4 hour marathon even if I have to bike a 06h30 to achieve that....

Hopefully if it is east, it will still be relatively calm on lap 1...

I have decided to chuck any predictions as training has not gone close to my original plan and I have been battling with injuries which will not be resolved by race day. So I am planning on giving me maximum time to walk the marathon and aim for 17 hours if need be. This will also be my last full for a while so I am looking to really soak it in. Have also identified a couple of mates doing it for the first time who is looking to just finish and we might just form a nice walking group (we will keep right, no worries :w00t: ).

I'm aiming to get out of T1 in 1.30, I'm giving myself 7.30 to clear T2 taking into account that we might have a 2012 on raceday) which puts me at 9 hours and leaving me 8 hours to complete the marathon if need be...

Anyone racing on Hammer Perpetuem?

How do you go about getting your electrolytes in?

I know the golden rule is to race on what you have trained on, but I have never trained from sunrise till sunset....

I know the golden rule is to race on what you have trained on, but I have never trained from sunrise till sunset....

Hammer is good but it will be GU on the course

I am. I will drink a 750 ml bottle with two tablets of Hammer Endurolytes Fizz during breakfast and before the swim. Then will be popping the Hammer Endurolytes tablets on the ride and run, if its hot then probably around one tablet an hour and if its cool then one every 90 minutes. Will also grab a Gu Brew at some of the aid stations if its hot, just a drink and drop to get around 300 ml in. I also hit a couple of glasses with a Endurolyte Fizz tablet every day running up to the race.

Archived