IM70.3 SA 2014

Milkworx

• Replies 534
  • Created
  • Last Reply

would I be wrong in saying that the hi price for the full iron man is driving people to do the shorter one?

would I be wrong in saying that the hi price for the full iron man is driving people to do the shorter one?

Perhaps 1. cheaper and 2. People wanting to enter full in 2014 (because of the 10 year thing) and wanting to do the half as preparation.

Either way I'm stoked I've already got my entry and cant wait for a full field on race day.

I don't think you can even compare the 2. There is a BIG difference between a 70.3 and a 140.6

I would also like to see the stats on this but I don't necessarily think people doing full IM will do the 70.3...

I do full IM but rather opt for cheaper 70. races like Midmar or Buffelspoort.

The EL 70.3 weekend is very expensive for 6 hours racing in my opinion. Also there are too many people taking part for my liking.

Got a fright seeing less than 100 entries left!

Just tried to register and it's already full- had to join the waiting list.....blows.

At least there's the midlands ultra I'm in for, but would have loved to do the REAL thing

I don't think you can even compare the 2. There is a BIG difference between a 70.3 and a 140.6

I would also like to see the stats on this but I don't necessarily think people doing full IM will do the 70.3...

I do full IM but rather opt for cheaper 70. races like Midmar or Buffelspoort.

The EL 70.3 weekend is very expensive for 6 hours racing in my opinion. Also there are too many people taking part for my liking.

True. Doing EL weekend and then PE wont come cheap.

Would be interesting to see what % of IM entrants took part in 70.3

i think not...i would rather say the popularity of the sport is growing significantly.

Personally, I find Ironman to be helluva expensive. R1850 for entry alone?

C'mon, if they are nearing capacity (3000) thats R5.5m turnover.

How much does it cost to stage an event like this?

Bearing in mind they are heavily sponsored too.

My opinion:

IM70.3 is becoming the new macho bucket list thing to do for 30 somethings. Lots of people keen to do it, likely in their first year of triathlon and probably will be their one and only event.

Lots won't make it to the start line, as the training is suddenly daunting after the initial bravado of entering. 2298 Finishers out of 3000 entrants in 2013 bears witness to this.

I'm doing the full, but the 70.3 is a good indication of my fitness a few months out.

Also, the 70.3 is a lot more relaxed than the full IM: more family oriented and less "serious business".

They're very different events but both are very enjoyable.

As an aside, I think in terms of relative difficulty the 70.3 is much more difficult than the full Ironman. Both the run and cycle courses have huge climbs on the 70.3 where the full is flat as a pancake.

Three completed already, going to skip 2013. The only advise for the novices is to find lots of hills to train on. Then ride those hills, LOTS....as there is nowhere to hide on the ride or the run...:)

Best of luck to all...

I have been considering renting out my TT bike to those that want to aim for specific targets this may be appealing. Buying a TT bike for a very limited number of races can be extremely costly.

I have a Wilier Twin Blade TT bike with Full Sram Red and Disk rear wheel, in a medium size. Contact me and we can work something out that's mutually beneficial.

I understand you would need to train in this position for a certain duration so I'm open to ideas.This would be easiest to arrange for someone in Cape Town.

I don't race any Tri events so it would be available for both IM's and other short course races.

Still valid offer

I also got put on the waiting list

Will be very bummed if I miss this race as this would have been my #5.

My Wife also was targeting this race as her come back race after taking a break this year with the birth of our Son. Hopefully we will receive some good news

damn...was too busy to think of sport the last couple of weeks and missed OUT. ah well, not the end of the world. Will go for the full IM.

• 1 month later...

I am in the 3rd week of a 4 week high intensity/high mileage training period and this morning on my long run I could feel my legs were sore and taking strain. I somehow need to pick myself up for a lunch time sprint swim workout.

What do guys use/do for recovery between workouts?

Archived