IM70.3 SA 2014

Milkworx

If you really want to get me worked up start talking about the weather and how difficult the run course is. THat'll really get my first-time nerves going

Too early to start yakking about the weather? ......That's always a fun discussion and gets the first timers really worked up :whistling:

I saw a thunderstorm scheduled for race day morning yesterday.... :devil:

• Replies 534
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you really want to get me worked up start talking about the weather and how difficult the run course is. THat'll really get my first-time nerves going

Oh Travis....the swim is tough there is always some current and the start is mayhem. On the bike it is terrible there is that one spot when you come back and your hauling ass, then there is always a crosswind....nice surprise and the hill just before the end of the bike, in fact there are two actually and then you realise that you still have to run 21km. Then Bunkers Hill x 2, the second time it looks like Everest...and if the weather is crap....well then best you stay home with mommy. Scared enough Now? Seriously though the hardest for me is the Saturday from around 2PM and hits a peak on the beach till about 400m in on the swim after that it's just another race, treat it with respect but dont fear it.

The beastly easterly, she is coming. Prepare for the worst mentally because then you don't have to worry about it. That's my thinking anyway. :whistling:

I always tell myself: "If it's difficult for me, it's difficult for everyone."

Somehow that makes me relax and stop feeling sorry for myself.

But... here's some info to scare the first timers:

• 70.3 East London is rated amongst the top 5 most difficult 70.3s
  • The bike course is regarded as the 2nd toughest bike course of all 70.3s.
  • On the swim course, you're very likely to get bashed on the head, swam over and kicked in the ribs. You'll probably swallow enough sea water to upset your stomach for the rest of the race.
  • There's 1000m of climbing on the bike course. That's as much as the Argus and you're not allowed to draft.
  • When you reach the turn-around point on the bike, you normally turn straight back into a headwind. This means that even on the "downhill" section of the course, you'll be working your butt off.
  • You'd also better be able to change a tyre as East London has the highest amount of glass on the road of any 70.3 in the world (as per race briefing in 2013).
  • When you get off the bike, your legs will be finished and you'll probably be dehydrated as well. Then all you have to do is run a half marathon with 2 huge hills.
  • End of January is the hottest, most humid time of the year in East London (http://weatherspark.com/averages/29016/East-London-Eastern-Cape-South-Africa). It's also the time of year you're most likely to get heavy rain and the predominant wind direction is from the East (not good).
  • Of 3000 entrants, only 2298 completed the course in 2013. In 2012 only 2312 entrants completed the course. That means almost 24% of entrants didn't finish or were simply not fit enough to even start the race.

Anyways, hope you guys feel ready ;)

• You'd also better be able to change a tyre as East London has the highest amount of glass on the road of any 70.3 in the world (as per race briefing in 2013).

Getting a damn puncture is the worst of the lot, as you say the rest of the stuff is the same for everyone else.

You can however be well prepared for a puncture

Somehow that makes me relax and stop feeling sorry for myself.

But... here's some info to scare the first timers:

• 70.3 East London is rated amongst the top 5 most difficult 70.3s
  • The bike course is regarded as the 2nd toughest bike course of all 70.3s.
  • On the swim course, you're very likely to get bashed on the head, swam over and kicked in the ribs. You'll probably swallow enough sea water to upset your stomach for the rest of the race.
  • There's 1000m of climbing on the bike course. That's as much as the Argus and you're not allowed to draft.
  • When you reach the turn-around point on the bike, you normally turn straight back into a headwind. This means that even on the "downhill" section of the course, you'll be working your butt off.
  • When you get off the bike, your legs will be finished and you'll probably be dehydrated as well. Then all you have to do is run a half marathon with 2 huge hills.
  • End of January is the hottest, most humid time of the year in East London (http://weatherspark....pe-South-Africa). It's also the time of year you're most likely to get heavy rain and the predominant wind direction is from the East (not good).
  • Of 3000 entrants, only 2298 completed the course in 2013. In 2012 only 2312 entrants completed the course. That means almost 24% of entrants didn't finish or were simply not fit enough to even start the race.

You understated the bike course by nearly 35% :)

its nearly 1400m of climbing ..........

You also failed to mention the vast number of hammer head sharks that hang around the break wall to the harbor, the ship wreck which is exposed at low tide or the two fatalities last year. apologies

Fear is good - great motivation..

I am just glad my tapering has started this week, one discipline per day is a breeze..

You understated the bike course by nearly 35% :)

its nearly 1400m of climbing ..........

You also failed to mention the vast number of hammer head sharks that hang around the break wall to the harbor, the ship wreck which is exposed at low tide or the two fatalities last year.

I was quoting from memory :)

As per Athlete Info Guide:

Start elevation – 71m , Highest elevation – 527.5m, Total gain – 1 177m

So, if you take the average between my under-statement and your over-statement, we nearly got it right :)

I was quoting from memory :)

As per Athlete Info Guide:

Start elevation – 71m , Highest elevation – 527.5m, Total gain – 1 177m

So, if you take the average between my under-statement and your over-statement, we nearly got it right :)

The magazine I just received said 1340 or something like that :) maybe I miss read .... I hope I did :whistling:

Run is 280m gain ... that's quite tough.

Get over yourselves. It is a swim, bike and a run. You have done the training, get on and enjoy the race.

Probably 50 people who start don't finish.

@JGR: Using the two fatalities from last year to create hype is just bad taste.

Get over yourselves. It is a swim, bike and a run. You have done the training, get on and enjoy the race.

Probably 50 people who start don't finish.

@JGR: Using the two fatalities from last year to create hype is just bad taste.

It was just banter Davem - I think everyone who has commented has done more than enough training.

Sorry if you were offended - it was not my intention at all (to offend or create hype) - far from it. More so to say it should not be treated lightly.

Yes, yes, but it's fun to pretend it's harder than it really is :)

It was just banter Davem - I think everyone who has commented has done more than enough training.

Sorry if you were offended - it was not my intention at all (to offend or create hype) - far from it. More so to say it should not be treated lightly.

Absolutely we we're just messing with the newbies and all in good humour. There will be a lightbulb moment in IMBC when you realise this is just another race and why the hell was I so psyched out by it.

7. DRAFTING: Keep 10m behind the bike in front of you. Keep single file. "Chatting" is an immediate alarm bell to our Technical Officials that you are drafting.

PENALTY: Black Card

a bit hectic, no chatting to anyone out there, you shutit and ride that bike?!

Archived