2013 Critérium du Dauphiné

tombeej

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yesterday’s epic ride of David Veilleux has been recognized as a great exploit by many observers of the Criterium du Dauphiné. His team-mate Thomas Voeckler was full of praise. “He didn’t win because the peloton let him go”, admired the Frenchman as reported in daily newspaper Le Parisien. Europcar’s leader Pierre Rolland added: “Last winter, David has worked a lot in the mountains. He has proven that we can rely on him. We know that he’ll lose the lead but the Dauphiné is not just another bike race. In such an event, the yellow jersey has to be respected.” Rolland’s comments suggest that Veilleux is close to getting a start at the Tour de France. According to L’Equipe, the Canadian could become the first rider from the French speaking province of Quebec to take part in the Grande Boucle.

More seriously, it seems to be a two man fight for yellow at the end of the month.

But, I reckon, cycling is too sophisticated for such a foregone conclusion.

There will be some surprizes. Racing is racing after all.

Hmm, I would say there are 5 riders easily capable of winning, Froome, Contador, Valverde, Rodriguez and Evans, then, not yet knowing who exactly is riding there are outside chances for at least another 4, Fuglsang, Sanchez, Hesjedal and Szmyd.

So I think its far from the two horse race everyone is suggesting.

Yesterday’s epic ride of David Veilleux has been recognized as a great exploit by many observers of the Criterium du Dauphiné. His team-mate Thomas Voeckler was full of praise. “He didn’t win because the peloton let him go”, admired the Frenchman as reported in daily newspaper Le Parisien. Europcar’s leader Pierre Rolland added: “Last winter, David has worked a lot in the mountains. He has proven that we can rely on him. We know that he’ll lose the lead but the Dauphiné is not just another bike race. In such an event, the yellow jersey has to be respected.” Rolland’s comments suggest that Veilleux is close to getting a start at the Tour de France. According to L’Equipe, the Canadian could become the first rider from the French speaking province of Quebec to take part in the Grande Boucle.

Indeed, the lad was full of determination, Mathew Keenan was definitely talking him up for a spot in the TDF.

11:33 Guiberteau: "We hope for Janse van Rensburg"Today’s course is suitable for sprinters able to overcome the difficulty of successive climbs. A man to watch is Reinhardt Janse van Rensburg, a neo pro with Argos-Shimano who joined the World Tour with an incredible pedigree including winning the Tour de Bretagne among fourteen successes last year. He’s yet to claim his first victory in 2013 but his recent seventh place in stage 4 at the Tour of Belgium indicates that he’s on the right track. “We’ve built our team for the Dauphiné around him for today’s stage and maybe one more”, directeur sportif Christian Guiberteau told letour.fr. The Dutch team makes it an easier ride for their designated leader for today with Damuseau in the breakaway. The remaining team-mates can save energy for the finale. They lost a rider yesterday: Thierry Hupond abandoned the Dauphiné due to a knee injury. He was hoping that the pain was over but it wasn’t the case as he climbed the col du Corbier.

Please let this happen

Hmm, I would say there are 5 riders easily capable of winning, Froome, Contador, Valverde, Rodriguez and Evans, then, not yet knowing who exactly is riding there are outside chances for at least another 4, Fuglsang, Sanchez, Hesjedal and Szmyd. So I think its far from the two horse race everyone is suggesting.

Grumpy I have to respectfully disagree - can't see anyone other than Froome, Contador & Rodriques even coming close.

Having doubts there, X-Man?

:ph34r:

No doubts..

Saxo just has a poor team compare to SKY.

But, Contador has the "NEVER GIVE UP SPIRIT"... Remenber 2012 Vuelta?? :thumbup:

Grumpy I have to respectfully disagree - can't see anyone other than Froome, Contador & Rodriques even coming close.

Fair enough comment jcza, on paper they are certainly the hot favorites, but things can be a little different on the road :) , personally I like Valverde's form as well, and Movistar is a strong team, better than Saxo anyway.

Fair enough comment jcza, on paper they are certainly the hot favorites, but things can be a little different on the road :) , personally I like Valverde's form as well, and Movistar is a strong team, better than Saxo anyway.

I'm with you on Saxo, Contador will have to dig deep. Valverde....I'm undecided.

No doubts..

But, Contador has the "NEVER GIVE UP SPIRIT"... Remenber 2012 Vuelta?? :thumbup:

That's how I feel! Think his extraordinary ability to climb will make a difference in the last two stages. I'm sure he still has it in him to put some "hurt" into the peloton.

Hmm, I would say there are 5 riders easily capable of winning, Froome, Contador, Valverde, Rodriguez and Evans, then, not yet knowing who exactly is riding there are outside chances for at least another 4, Fuglsang, Sanchez, Hesjedal and Szmyd.

So I think its far from the two horse race everyone is suggesting.

I should've added, GOG, that thus far the media is portraying a two-horse race.

Agreed. This is one very difficult TdF to call.

Gonna be thrilling.

No doubts..

What a ride and that stage did not really include any major climbs.

Pure strategic genius.