2013 Critérium du Dauphiné

tombeej

Yeah, I also watched the finish again last night, although it wasn't really that exciting Froome seems to be in better condition than 'Berto at this point, 'berto made a great attack and immediately opened up a nice gap, frankly I thought he had the race in the bag, but he appeared to fade quickly and once Chris got the turbo roaring, it was all over bar the shouting.

Its a clever tactic which Sky use, they don't panic and try match the attacks but rather let the attacking rider continue and tire while they gradually accelerate / catch up spending less energy and tapping out efforts using their power meters for reference. Teams have yet to find an effective way to combat this method.

I was wondering how well it would work if race radios and power meters were not allowed as I think its difficult for the riders themselves to gauge how hard to ride and when to apply the accelerations.

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I also watched the finish again last night, although it wasn't really that exciting Froome seems to be in better condition than 'Berto at this point, 'berto made a great attack and immediately opened up a nice gap, frankly I thought he had the race in the bag, but he appeared to fade quickly and once Chris got the turbo roaring, it was all over bar the shouting.

'Berto still only lost 4 sec's on the stage so he was right there, but just didn't appear to be able to capitalize on his great attack, had he gone a little later I think he could have held on, but Yah, water under the bridge, Froome was in great form.

Was thinking the same thing, remember the days when Berto attacked, got caught, attacked again and again until he broke the opposition?

'Berto still only lost 4 sec's on the stage so he was right there, but just didn't appear to be able to capitalize on his great attack, had he gone a little later I think he could have held on, but Yah, water under the bridge, Froome was in great form.

Ja its been pretty much the same in all their head-to-heads this year. I think Berto needs to attack later if he want to beat Froome most days. His initial acceleration is always good, but Froome can invariably wind him back in, stick with him until the last few hundred metres and power away.

The problem this leave Berto is at best he will then only ever gain a handful of seconds on Froome - so unless he can dramatically turn around his TT perfomrance in the Tour, its hard to see how he can beat Froomdog...

Its a clever tactic which Sky use, they don't panic and try match the attacks but rather let the attacking rider continue and tire while they gradually accelerate / catch up spending less energy and tapping out efforts using their power meters for reference. Teams have yet to find an effective way to combat this method.

I was wondering how well it would work if race radios and power meters were not allowed as I think its difficult for the riders themselves to gauge how hard to ride and when to apply the accelerations.

Thats actually a very good call - I can see that in the future (power metres banned). I would support that - power metres can be used for training but on race day leave it to the riders own ability to race on how he feels and on instinct. Will make things a lot less predictable.

Thats actually a very good call - I can see that in the future (power metres banned). I would support that - power metres can be used for training but on race day leave it to the riders own ability to race on how he feels and on instinct. Will make things a lot less predictable.

But will be a very unpopular and difficult to justify, what about HRM's and speedos (not the swimming type)

it is a great idea and will change the race (remember Olympic road race - no radios?) but I can't see it happening.

Todays stage, breakaway likely to succeed I think. Maybe Voeckler & co?

post-32242-0-16208600-1370592416_thumb.jpg

Ja, Europcar will definitely have a plan.

Unlike the damp squibs at Euskaltel. What a bunch of underachievers. Such potential talent there, but nothing ever happens - ever stage just going through the motions. I'd have more respect for them if they just tried something, I mean anything will do right now.

Europcar outshine them 10 to 1, and they're not even ranked as a UCI Pro Tour team. Not right.

it is a great idea and will change the race (remember Olympic road race - no radios?) but I can't see it happening.

Not any time soon - but it could happen - if racing is deemed to be predictible it may come to improve the show. $ talk at the end of the day.

5+ years out I reckon.

Ja, Europcar will definitely have a plan.

Unlike the damp squibs at Euskaltel. What a bunch of underachievers. Such potential talent there, but nothing ever happens - ever stage just going through the motions. I'd have more respect for them if they just tried something, I mean anything will do right now.

Europcar outshine them 10 to 1, and they're not even ranked as a UCI Pro Tour team. Not right.

I agree, not sure whats going on at Euskatel. Europcar obviously got wildcard into the big French races but they're certainly trying!

Well since he has stopped taking contaminated supplement/gel, he has not been as explosive. I think people are just stating what they have been seeing.

You obviously didnt watch the 2012 Vuelta Espana??

Sky know each potential threat's threshold power output for a given time/grade/day/temperature - whatever.

They plug in the data, give the word to up the output to such and such watts, and know that the attack will be neutralized.

The public, in general, want the racing to be from the heart: attack because you are pissed off/ happy/ sad/ like attacking, not because the numbers dictate a response measured in watts and HR.

Marginal gains are the buzzword because they are effective tools to generate results, the same way corporate plunderers purchase a company and strip away its assets, liquidating them and making a fortune - also effective at being profitable.

The humanity is lost, because the heart and soul of our sport is being stripped away, piece by piece.

No more desperate attacks that may or may not succeed, no more daring, dashing racers wearing their emotions on their sleeves, ready to repay insults with stage wins, no more guts, no more glory - just a steady beat of a measured cadence at a measured output for a defined period.

i love watching road cycling, but the predictability of it all, especially the TdF, is wearing me down.

I desperately want Froome to win, but I hope he does so with some panache and guts and daring, and that the Skyborg's tactics don't cause him to be painted with the same brush as has been used to colour Wiggins.

Marginal gains? Since when has the winner of the Tour de France received such "marginal" respect from the cycling community at large? The last time was surely the Pole who won, but didn't win a stage.

The pantheon of greats remains, be they tainted or not: Merckxx, Hinault, Anquetil, indurain, Coppi, Bartali, Fignon and many more, founded on a legacy of individual brilliance.

The Giro had a bit of the magic this year, as did the Vuelta last year. There is hope, but it may be fading.

Let's hope it does not fade away altogether, leaving us with no heroes and no excitement come every July's Grand Depart.

Enough of the rambling rant, I'm sure I have bored everyone to tears.

At least it's Friday! :D

Sky know each potential threat's threshold power output for a given time/grade/day/temperature - whatever.

They plug in the data, give the word to up the output to such and such watts, and know that the attack will be neutralized.

The public, in general, want the racing to be from the heart: attack because you are pissed off/ happy/ sad/ like attacking, not because the numbers dictate a response measured in watts and HR.

Marginal gains are the buzzword because they are effective tools to generate results, the same way corporate plunderers purchase a company and strip away its assets, liquidating them and making a fortune - also effective at being profitable.

The humanity is lost, because the heart and soul of our sport is being stripped away, piece by piece.

No more desperate attacks that may or may not succeed, no more daring, dashing racers wearing their emotions on their sleeves, ready to repay insults with stage wins, no more guts, no more glory - just a steady beat of a measured cadence at a measured output for a defined period.

i love watching road cycling, but the predictability of it all, especially the TdF, is wearing me down.

I desperately want Froome to win, but I hope he does so with some panache and guts and daring, and that the Skyborg's tactics don't cause him to be painted with the same brush as has been used to colour Wiggins.

Marginal gains? Since when has the winner of the Tour de France received such "marginal" respect from the cycling community at large? The last time was surely the Pole who won, but didn't win a stage.

The pantheon of greats remains, be they tainted or not: Merckxx, Hinault, Anquetil, indurain, Coppi, Bartali, Fignon and many more, founded on a legacy of individual brilliance.

The Giro had a bit of the magic this year, as did the Vuelta last year. There is hope, but it may be fading.

Let's hope it does not fade away altogether, leaving us with no heroes and no excitement come every July's Grand Depart.

Enough of the rambling rant, I'm sure I have bored everyone to tears.

At least it's Friday! :D

Yea - thing is you can't blame the riders - or even sky! The have a formula that works. The solution is to take away the biggest tool that they have (and I don't mean Pat mcQuaid) - the power meter...

Its like in F1 - traction control was banned so the drivers have to use their own skill to modulate the throttle. More human - more skill / judgement needed.

Looked like it, he was suffering!

Accordng to Vaughters he wasn't stuck in the big ring - but when he's struggling he likes to grind a big gear!?

Edit - or to be more accurate this is what he actually said...:

@Vaughters: @Tideplay1 says its what he does when he f-Ed. (on beng asked if he was stuck or what the story was)

Edited by dracs

i know i will most probably not even get up those hills but here is something that has been bugging me for some time.everyone is tired when crossing the line.why is voekler the only guy who always looks like he is a ventreliquist with the pulling face?