1200 lumen VS 2000 lumen

So its that time of the year when the sun decides to be a party pooper and leave before we're able to get in some decent miles

I'm looking at getting one of the following:

http://www.extremeli...-2000-3xt6-cree

or

http://www.extremeli...cree-xml-t6-led

What do you guys think? I need the light for about 1.5hours of "dark/skemer" riding, as I'm normally able to get on the bike by say 17:30 and will ride till about 19:30

Will the 2000 lumen be a bit too much? 1200 lumen too little?

All opinions welcome

lekker aand vir julle almal verder :thumbup:

I forgot to mention, this is for MTB riding, single track/forest/bos etc

Edited by Mopkop

I ride from 7-8ish and on the road, I didn't want to be too bright! I hate it when a cyclists light blinds me while I'm driving!

I use a serfas 500 lumen front light, with the coolest serfas led rear light. The rear is REALLY bright, the front is perfect for being visible and avoiding obstacles.

So going on that, 1200 should be enough, but this isn't ROAD experience... Don't know about off road, but I'm sure everyone will say the brighter the better!

I just bought the 1200 lumen light from extreme lights and took it for my 1st night ride tonight. I must say it's very good and I'm even happier with the fact that I didn't pay an insane amount for it.

My opinion: 1200 lumen is great. I didn't feel I need more light once I was in the forest or on a dark and wet ride down G-spot in Stellies. The best was seeing cars stop and wait for me to pass when I was sure I was going to be cut off.

BUT when it's not very dark the light does lack some power. I found it to be perfect once I got out on the trails with no other light source but when I rode through town the street lamps made it difficult to spot small objects in the road and my light seemed to "blend" with the light from the street lamps.

So it depends on what your requirements are. If you can afford it, I would say the 2000 lumen(I mean, more is better right? :ph34r: ). Although I don't think you'll be unhappy with the 1200 lumen. I'm happy with my purchase and can recommend Extreme-lights. They delivered quickly and kept me up to date. The light is perfect for my needs and I can now go bomb Jonkershoek single-track at 00:00 :clap:

Edited by Stefmyster

I've got the 1200 one myself and it's got my vote. More than enough light on full power and in low mode it will make you visible in low light without blinding others and it is also usable for riding but I tend to like to light up the path as much as possible so I'm mainly on full power. The added bonus with the 1200 is you get the tail light and head strap as an alternative mount option. Personally I use the head strap vs the bar mount but that is personal preference I guess. I usually ride for 1h30m - 2h using the light and on full power it will not go flat on you or dim. The claim is 3h on full power but I can't confirm nor deny that :ph34r:

I have AyUp lights with a total of around 340 lumen for head and bar light combined. More than adequate for fast MTB singletrack riding in total darkness. Cannot possibly think what 2000lumen would bring you. Other than perhaps a face plant because it's so bright it "levels" holes/obstacles making them appear smaller than they are. There is such a thing as too much light.

So its that time of the year when the sun decides to be a party pooper and leave before we're able to get in some decent miles

I'm looking at getting one of the following:

http://www.extremeli...-2000-3xt6-cree

or

http://www.extremeli...cree-xml-t6-led

What do you guys think? I need the light for about 1.5hours of "dark/skemer" riding, as I'm normally able to get on the bike by say 17:30 and will ride till about 19:30

Will the 2000 lumen be a bit too much? 1200 lumen too little?

All opinions welcome

lekker aand vir julle almal verder :thumbup:

um, so this is for singletrack AND commuting?

when i first road eden at night 12 years ago we had homemade 12V downlighter systems in pvc piping with 7Ah lead acid batteries. they worked most of the time. had a maglite for backup. that was probably about 10lumens.

Remember 2000 lumen battery will not last long then 1200 lumen. I will use 2000 lumen for singletracks and 1200 lumen for road....

At the moments I use 1200 and 3000 lumen, when I go to forest at 4:30 till 7am. It is nice to have two lights as back-up.. I remember one time I rode with one light and battery fell off. It was so dark and I nearly went to tree. Also other time, I forgot to recharge the battery and it died. I was lost in the dark, but managed to find way home.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought the 1200 from extreme lights and am very happy with it, only got it 2 weeks ago and so far no complaints.

So I went for the 2000lumen with the 6cell battery pack.

SUPER bright light, only complaint is that the one strap on the battery pack broke off the other night.

But all's good in the hood :thumbup:

Good work extremelights :clap:

So I went for the 2000lumen with the 6cell battery pack.

SUPER bright light, only complaint is that the one strap on the battery pack broke off the other night.

But all's good in the hood :thumbup:

Good work extremelights :clap:

The strap will be improved in future models. So if you have not contacted us yet for a replacement please do so. I am eager to make sure our lights keep you on the track.

The strap will be improved in future models. So if you have not contacted us yet for a replacement please do so. I am eager to make sure our lights keep you on the track.

Great stuff! Klaar reg gemaak met n naald en gare.. But i'll remember if something goes wrong in the future :thumbup:

Can one extend the run-time on the 1200 lumen light to say about 6 or 7 hrs ? Extremelights ?

Im sure you can if you upgrade to the 8cell battery pack

Can one extend the run-time on the 1200 lumen light to say about 6 or 7 hrs ? Extremelights ?

Well yes. But at a cost to weight. I am getting high quality 4 cells again in the next two weeks. It should extend the runtime to 5h on high with no added weight.

The 8 cell will give you close to 7h on high.

There is a new model coming. The Extreme1400. It is landing in 2 weeks time I hope.

http://www.extremelights.co.za/shop/extreme-1400/

The Extreme 1400 was designed to be brighter and run longer than the Extreme 1200, but with no added weight. Emitting 1100 lumen for 5 hours and only weighing 340 grams, it hit the goal!

I realize it must be very confusing with the extravagant levels of over claims on lumen going about. Making it nearly impossible to compare lights between suppliers. People seems to hide behind the false claims made by the indiscriminate manufacturer's. It is so funny how the competition just makes numbers bigger to sell. :eek:

In the beginning there was some truth to it. Like claiming 1000 lumen for an Cree XM-L T6 that has a theoretical max of 970 lumen under lab conditions. But now you get the same design claiming 1200, 1600 or even 2000 lumen. There seems to be absolutely no relation to the actual output and what is claimed. Then you get those 4.2V lights that looks the same but after a small amount of use the output half's making even 600lumen claims to be wish full thinking. :blush:

On gumtree and bid or buy you get people that double even that. Claiming 6000 lumen out of a 3 xml light using a 4 cell battery. Haha. Define ridiculous. :eek:

I laughed so much when I read on the hub some seller explain how a 3800 Lumen light can have the same runtime out of the same battery as a 1200. I nearly wet myself. He explained how the driver is better and the lens made it possible or something like that. Somehow making more lumen(Light energy) out of nothing. He did not even know that 3 leds are about 20% more efficient than 1 at the same power level. But not 3x more!

I was so hoping someone would start a rant that i made my self popcorn. But it never got going. :unsure:

Edited by extremelights