How to approach a race

Wimmas

Hi guys!

I've recently started doing MTB races after being off the bicycle for 9 years (used to be a roadie).

To get to the point - I did my first race (also first in 9 years) about two weeks ago and the one thing that really pissed me off was the many cyclists I had to pass along the first 10km of the race.

Now I am not the best cyclist, never won a single race in my life, I smoke and drink but one thing I can say is when I get on a bike I mean business. I must say that I got flashbacks from my earlier days of cycling and those old habits and tricks appeared in my mind.

Being my first race I thought I would start in the middle of the bunch so that I'm not the slow idiot who irritates those who are faster and need to go through the trouble of passing me. Now I saw the difference with MTB is that it's much more difficult to pass a rider because of single track or terrain limiting the areas around the rider infront of you which really got frustrating to me, and I also don't want to be the guy who shouts at everyone infront of me.

So my question is, how do I approach a race or my starting position without making myself a nuisance to other riders but also not reving my patience level into the red because of other riders? Do I start up front, remain in the middle or what?

Thanks

Easy. Go stand just in front of the most front 26er rider before the race starts. Obviously everyone with a 29 inch rim will be fast

get to the front, put on your thick skin you will be abused for passing people, eventually you will have a seeding that will allow you to start with people riding at your pace.

Always scream passing right, before passing on the right. What ever you do, don't pass on the left for some reason the rider in front always goes left what ever you shout, or they just flip you the bird and flame you on the hub afterwards.

When passing in single track pick areas where there is long grass, rocks, anthills, trees and fallen logs to execute your pass, it will keep the blood flowing and bring huge enjoyment to the single track section, not to mention the technical riding experience you will get.

End of the day try start with guys riding your pace

Quite a lot races don't have seeding and it's quite difficult to predict who the riders are with your pace. The previous race many riders looked like they could keep a nice pace with fancy gear and bikes but it ended up that the guys with the old school Trek's without shocks and malfunctioning v-brakes were the ones who did and then of coarse the younger guys aged around 17 paced as if they were trying to flee from a tornado.

The thing that stresses me up with some people is that they could be the reason you fall and break a leg because many like using their brakes like taxi's and swerve all over the place. Plus they make it difficult for you to improve or make use of certain skills in technical parts causing you to get off your bike.

Anyway, I'll just work on my patience, approach it with a positive attitude, enjoy the scenery around me if I have to ride behind someone for a few k's and remember to pass right while notifying the person infront of me politely (It's sickening to see how many rude cyclists there are out there).

Edited by Wimmas

Wimmas, it's best to be patient in races, and approach them as massive fun/group rides. That is of course if you're seeded anything below B batch :) In A and B you will be able to race, without much bottlenecks and a lot less frustration.

Ignore the twats that scream past on the dirt roads and walk the singletrack, they're just there to up your blood pressure. Become technically proficient so that you can pass on the difficult sections - practice this at bike parks by riding the hardest line next to the main route, as that is probably where you will have to pass the walkers in lower batches.

By all means push yourself to the front of your batch in the next race, there's no such thing as batches within batches :) I had a right royal giggle at the Trailseeker this weekend when they asked who's very first race this is (in J batch) and the front half of the pack ALL raised their hands.

Go till you blow......... :whistling:

EDIT: Credit to Edgar for that of course

Edited by jcza

Just be patient. put in the time doing races and your seeding will improve. in mass start marathons, the distance is usually sufficient to allow you to find your 'place' in the race.

single track - just ask if you can get through if someone is really slow. use the district roads, dual jeep tracks, and climbs to pass as many slow riders as possible.