Want to ride your bike in the biggest Mountain Biking area in the world? 2.0

Guest Omega Man

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks everyone for a great trip and thanks to Duane for making it happen.

You quite quickly run out of adjectives for the riding there. I remember doing the Berg and Bush descent from the escarpment last year (Solly's Folly etc) and thinking I hope I get some of this in the Alps. Yes you do, you get to ride it 10 times a day. Something like this would probably map to the Panoramic trail in Chatel, a green run.

I left my garmin running and on the average day, did about 60 - 70km of total distance and 5-6 km of total descent. So by the end of the trip it works out to 60km of total downhill! That's probably 6 months of pedalling for most people!

There's so many riding destinations in the area, and each of them has quite different riding and feel to it, so you can never even think about getting bored.

The first few days we mainly did Les Get as it had been raining a lot, and it was the least muddy. The runs through the jump park are tight twisty berms with little tables and are huge fun. For guys like Rupert there's the airline trails, but I don't go near that stuff! The mainline is nice but the braking bumps are quite severe in places. Les Gets is a lovely town and a very family friendly place. If I ever brought my family, that's where I'd stay.

As the weather improved we moved across to Zore. The Zore blue run (post #1777 by CapeDiver) became our go-to trail, because it's relatively smooth and chilled (less steep by Alpine standards), has these great tabletops to practice jumps on, and you can easily roll down the hill back to Morzine when you've had enough. So even after a big day out to Chatel, smashing a few runs on Zore on the way back would be in order.

As you head across towards the Swiss side, you get more of a big mountain feel. Chatel is probably the best single destination in the PDS with the greatest number and diversity of trails, but they are all steep, even Serpentine which is a green trail. Everythig about Chatel has a big feeling to it. The berms are often 8 feet tall. It's also where the massive Rampage style stuff is.

Then if you make the effort to get to Morgins, which is a stunningly beautiful trip in it's own right, both there and back (totally different routes, using the available lifts), you get to ride what I think are the best individual trails. I rate blue run in morgins as the best single trail I've ever ridden, and if I was a better rider, would probably say that about the red. Colours don't mean that much there, as the Morgins blue is no easier than the Pleney black, and the red is definitely harder.

Nobody made it as far as Champery, which is apparently insanely steep and probably not something you'd want to ride if you're a plonker like me especially it's muddy.

Towards the end Pleney (the les Gets side of Morzine) had dried out nicely, and although it's a black, it's very rideable even on a trail bike, fast, steep in places, has a bit of everything and just huge fun.

The one thing I didn't get to do as much as I wanted was some of the XC ridge rides. There are some incredible areas to explore and I'd like to do more of this next time. The problem is you have to tear yourself way from the downhill runs (although no problem to ride most of them if you're out with a trail lid, you just dial it back a bit).

As for the bike, I took a Pyga with 160mm on the front and 140 on the back, and it worked out great. There are places I'd rather have had more bike, but there was no general consensus that you need a full DH bike for this trip, or would even be much better off with one.

So anyone who's thinking about it for next year, I hope this gives some flavour of it, do it - it took my riding to a different level, and totally redefined what "awesome" means me when it comes to mountain biking.

Guest Omega Man

Whats the fork/shock/wheel spec on that Tracer, O Man?

Fork is a Lyric RC2DH.

Shock is a Fox DHX Air. I prefer the feel of that over the std RP23 the bike comes with.

The wheels are Superstar cheapies.

The only really "special" thing on the bike is a set of Hope V2's with 203 rotors but I'd advise people fit big rotors anyway for an Alpine trip.

The diversity of bike on the trip was cool this year. Everything from Karl on his Intense M9 right to Nico on his 29er stumpy. As Steve said I don't think a DH bike is a necessity after having done it on my Tracer.

Fork is a Lyric RC2DH.

Shock is a Fox DHX Air. I prefer the feel of that over the std RP23 the bike comes with.

The wheels are Superstar cheapies.

The only really "special" thing on the bike is a set of Hope V2's with 203 rotors but I'd advise people fit big rotors anyway for an Alpine trip.

The diversity of bike on the trip was cool this year. Everything from Karl on his Intense M9 right to Nico on his 29er stumpy. As Steve said I don't think a DH bike is a necessity after having done it on my Tracer.

I was going to answer for you, but I forgot what wheels you're rolling on!

Guest Omega Man

I'll upload the road descent for the Col de la joux verte into Lindarets tonight. My roll down started on the 3rd corner. (I rode the dirt till there) but you'll get a great idea as to how AMAAAAAZING even the roads are there.

In fact I'd go so far as to say the road riding is as good as the Mountain Biking there.

Beanz...you hit the nail on the head! What an awesome experience with the greatest bunch of guys you could ever wish to share such a trip! Mud, rain, sun, dust, crazy descents, spectacular Enduro, even frightening tar hairpins! The PDS has it all. We saw kids on basic bikes, MTB scooters!!! guys in special DH wheelchair buggies, the pros like Stefan Garliki and all manner of dress and gear and every species and sub-species of bike and biker....the common thread throughout...HUGE SILLY GRINS at the bottom of the trail! Saffers ruled Zore at one point, winning the whip-off over a mini-Table Mountain table top at Zore and almost winning the Morzine Slalom at the bottom of Pleney lift! We left our mark for sure and I bet the Chalet guys will remember us for a while to come...legends were born! Duane was an awesome guide and patient mentor to all the new comers something which is underrated in a place like Morzine where you could easily be overwhelmed and not know where to go. Duane, shot bro!

Guest Omega Man

Check out this road descent into Lindarets. Amazing road riding too. You can climb up this from Morzine too.

Guest Omega Man

Beanz...you hit the nail on the head! What an awesome experience with the greatest bunch of guys you could ever wish to share such a trip! Mud, rain, sun, dust, crazy descents, spectacular Enduro, even frightening tar hairpins! The PDS has it all. We saw kids on basic bikes, MTB scooters!!! guys in special DH wheelchair buggies, the pros like Stefan Garliki and all manner of dress and gear and every species and sub-species of bike and biker....the common thread throughout...HUGE SILLY GRINS at the bottom of the trail! Saffers ruled Zore at one point, winning the whip-off over a mini-Table Mountain table top at Zore and almost winning the Morzine Slalom at the bottom of Pleney lift! We left our mark for sure and I bet the Chalet guys will remember us for a while to come...legends were born! Duane was an awesome guide and patient mentor to all the new comers something which is underrated in a place like Morzine where you could easily be overwhelmed and not know where to go. Duane, shot bro!

Aw you guys.

So a little casualty list of the trip. Off the top of my head.

1 dislocated shoulder. Dan. 1 day out. a bit of duct tape and he was back out there. I might have shouted at Evan and Rupert for breaking Dan a bit.

5 stitches in the knee. Goolam. 4 days out. Those G Form things are a no go.

1 torn hamstring. Karl. He still managed a flip on the dodgy leg.

1 Iphone

1 pedal

1 chain All Nic Criticos. He kinda lost his mojo after that.

lots of tires

2 popped forks. Martin and I

1 bent rocker. To be fair Evan's bike performed FAAR beyond it's design brief.

Nic Bizinos broke something on his bike

Dan destroyed a stem

Someone smashed a derailleur

A few credit cards were melted

A patio chair blew onto the fire. This was caused by a sudden gust of wind. That's my story and I'm sticking with it.

A few sticky dropper posts.

Some cracked peaks. Mostly from the airbag

Tony had to bin quite a lot of footage of the Zore table cos he put the flag on the table upside down. Pretty sure that's treason.

Edited by Omega Man

Erm..... no splitting headaches from those wonderful alcoholic fizzy drinks? Most impressive.

Guest Omega Man

Erm..... no splitting headaches from those wonderful alcoholic fizzy drinks? Most impressive.

You don't get hangovers in the Alps.

Edited by Omega Man

Guest Omega Man

We found an amazing place in Morzine called Bec Jaune.

Mexican food, Craft beer server by English people in the French Alps. Could there be anything better in the world?

20 Euro bought you a Nacho's and a jug of beer (for 2) or 10 Euro bought you a Pulled pork bun and a beer of your choice from their craft brewery.

http://becjaunebrewery.com/

Edited by Omega Man

Thanks for the info, vids and reports guys - sounds like a total blast. Good to know a 150mm AM bike would be good enough for some fun. I already have big brakes - would like a longer fork - maybe a 160mm were I to go try this shite...

Guest Omega Man

Thanks for the info, vids and reports guys - sounds like a total blast. Good to know a 150mm AM bike would be good enough for some fun. I already have big brakes - would like a longer fork - maybe a 160mm were I to go try this shite...

COME WITH NEXT YEAR!!!!!

Aw you guys.

1 dislocated shoulder. Dan. 1 day out. a bit of duct tape and he was back out there. I might have shouted at Evan and Rupert for breaking Dan a bit.

5 stitches in the knee. Goolam. 4 days out. Those G Form things are a no go.

1 torn hamstring. Karl. He still managed a flip on the dodgy leg.

1 Iphone

1 pedal

1 chain All Nic Criticos. He kinda lost his mojo after that.

lots of tires

2 popped forks. Martin and I

1 bent rocker. To be fair Evan's bike performed FAAR beyond it's design brief.

Nic Bizinos broke something on his bike

Dan destroyed a stem

Someone smashed a derailleur

A few credit cards were melted

A patio chair blew onto the fire. This was caused by a sudden gust of wind. That's my story and I'm sticking with it.

A few sticky dropper posts.

Some cracked peaks. Mostly from the airbag

Tony had to bin quite a lot of footage of the Zore table cos he put the flag on the table upside down. Pretty sure that's treason.

You forgot to add that someone :ph34r: towed me into a drop-off at less than optimal speed, which resulted in me running out of front suspension and playing "let's see what body part hits the ground first" on Lower People... About 30square cm of skin and a riding top got left behind.