Want to ride your bike in the biggest Mountain Biking area in the world? 2.0

Guest Omega Man

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So who's taking what tire? I'm taking Muddy Mary's. I reckon they'll be a good all rounder. I've always takeon Minions and never bothered with wets before

I was thinking of running the Minions or Big Betty's I just got. I also have some spare tyres going with via a mate from London.

Given my wheelsize choice for the trip I'm a bit more limited in my options.

Any tips perhaps? Was considering Magic Mary's / Maxxis Ardent combo, but not sure whether Ardent is a good rear choice and also not sure whether I'll be able to source Magic Mary.

Guest Omega Man

Any tips perhaps? Was considering Magic Mary's / Maxxis Ardent combo, but not sure whether Ardent is a good rear choice and also not sure whether I'll be able to source Magic Mary.

I wonder where Maxxis got the name Ardent from........

What tires did Barnard use at the enduro? Some of those badboys maybe?

I've asked my mate Marc what they have at Olympic. They've gotten a lot of new Schwalbe rubber in recently.

Edited by Omega Man

Ran Big Bettys on front and back last time. They're looking a bit bald now. I have 2x brand new Minion DHFs in the garage, but I'm thinking of getting some Magic/Muddy Marys for this years trip.

Ran Big Bettys on front and back last time. They're looking a bit bald now. I have 2x brand new Minion DHFs in the garage, but I'm thinking of getting some Magic/Muddy Marys for this years trip.

How did the Big Bettys hook up? Have a brand new set - Trailstar/Verstar combo. The Minions on the M9 are still quite fresh so ill run them for training.

This trip looks so rad!!

A mate and I did a 2200km enduro through Cambodia on Honda XR250's last year, this looks like the MTB equivalent!

(Although trails look a whole lot more groomed on the edits Ive seen on this thread) :thumbup:

Very tempted, had a brief phone call to same mate to plant seed.

Will commence fiancé sweet talk...

Will drop you a message on FB with fiancé questions LOL

Magic Mary's available here - https://www.bike-com...odell-2014.html. That's the snakeskin trailstar version. The supergravity is also there somewhere.

Edited by niterider

Patches, your list has me convinced that I'll be doing a lot of watching and far less "doing" on this trip. Blue trails for me.

Gonna be good!

I ended myself on a GREEN trail :oops:

Tyres for me will be a new set of Excavators, apparently they grip well and last a lifetime.

I ended myself on a GREEN trail :oops:

Tyres for me will be a new set of Excavators, apparently they grip well and last a lifetime.

Spare set of tyres will be Blue Groove 2.35"s. No idea what to expect but they look pretty good on paper..

Spare set of tyres will be Blue Groove 2.35"s. No idea what to expect but they look pretty good on paper..

Just ride the tyres you have.

Preferably start the trip with a fresh set but, I wouldn't over think this too much TBH.

If what you have really isn't hooking up then just bite the bullet and buy something there.

Just ride the tyres you have.

Preferably start the trip with a fresh set but, I wouldn't over think this too much TBH.

If what you have really isn't hooking up then just bite the bullet and buy something there.

Saving the Big Bettys for the trip. It's not like I'm fast enough or skilled enough to really push a tyre as is :P haha

Guest Omega Man

Last year Vince took wet screams. He figured rolling resistance was the least of his worries. That much is true but the rear lasted about 3 days in the dry.

He reckoned he could feel the bits of rubber hitting his helmet on the road from Avoriaz.

Guest Omega Man

Maxxis Minions 2 ply 2.5 DHR and DHF for me.... Super tacky and brand new.......

The default choice.

as Super_Mil said it's probly best not to overthink it. I also wouldn't go out and buy a set of wets. If it's gonna rain you can probably get a wet over there.