Calling on you gamers

Guest Kalahari ou

Far Cry 4 is fun so far. 

I REALLY liked it. I want to play it again and play a different path... I'm keen to see how it changes the ending.

Edited by Pieter1

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well guys. Since moving to Europe, I have stayed in 3 apartments and I can confirm that there is one universal truth.

Getting a functioning internet installation is a ******* nightmare. Every. Single. Time.

Telkom obviously takes tips from how it is done in Belgium and the Netherlands. Following best practice and all that jazz. When the installation actually happens and 750mbps glass fibre is a reality in my life, I will download games (just download, not play mind you) as a full time hobby. 

In the meantime, I have to play Overwatch using my phone's 4G...fffffffuuuuu.

RIP my competitive ranking

Last night I tried to play WoT. It was a stuff up. My tank was jumping around. You press W, and nothing happens, the tank's wheels just spin, and then suddenly 3 seconds later you are somewhere else. And getting shot to pieces by tanks that are yet to appear on your screen.

Not nice.

After nearly 400 hours I needed some respite from PUBG.

After being convinced by the rest of the gamers whatsapp group. I took the plunge on my first survival game. Never played the genre before but it was so worth it. Never thought I would love something so complex this much. Was always more of a point and shoot guy.

But this is next level. If you played Ark Survival (which I haven't) apparently its a lot like that game. Except this one is way more intricate and in depth in terms of what you can do.

Conan Exiles

https://youtu.be/Ft7yjrpvy0w

nlS966C.jpg

So you start off hanging from the cross in a desert left to die. Everyone does.

Then someone frees you and your journey begins. But you have nothing.

You are literally butt naked. But nudity can be turned off if you please. 

Before you are set free you choose your gender, race and religion.

And tweak your physical appearance to your liking. The race you choose determines various things but each race is different with no real advantage over the other. Some have certain skills others don't. But all skills canned be learned over time as your progress. You religion determines the God you worship and when you're a high enough level Gods can be summoned to destroy your enemies. But we're talking way later in the game. 

sVO1dfU.jpg

You start off by gathering plant fibre to make twine and clothe yourself. Picking up stones and branches for some make shift tools and weapons. Find water and food. Insects will have to do for now. The general idea is basically...survive. Whatever it takes. 

JjHWIMe.jpg

You reach the stone age quite quickly and learn various essential survival skills like building shelter, making fire and gather resources to make the tools and weapons to help you along.

As you progress you become more proficient at building, crafting, fighting and generally surviving. Building shelter close to water is obvious. You need water and clothes to keep track of your temperature especially while you're working, fighting or hunting. 

MC3Ze7W.jpg

At this point I had just learned carpentry to make some wood and stone tools and weapons.

The right tools are required for various applications. A pick axe for stone and iron. A knife for skinning prey for hides, bark is used to tan hides into leather. A hatchet for wood, A sword and shield for battles. A spear for animals you don't want to get too close to, etc, etc. 

8DAeIQ0.jpg

Once you're good enough to venture out into the MASSIVE map. You'll find other players who have already clanned up. Join a clan. It will be crucial to your survival. At this point you're a long way from being in the stone age. The landscape is peppered with all sorts of dangers.

Dangerous carnivorous animals and mythical creatures alike. You need to be prepared for what ever comes your way. This is where I ran into a horde of stone hyenas. But there's much worse. Like dragons, giant spiders, wolves, tigers, scorpians, demons, etc. You need to venture out anyways to get resources for building, crafting, hunting, etc. Your quest to survive never ends.

M0OSRyL.jpg

At this point I had already clanned up. Two of my friends are running in the background. We just returned from a dragon mission. Dragon bone weapons are the best kind. I think. But there's also black ice, hardened steel and special ancient weapons if you're lucky enough to find one. Bare in mind that since its an online game. You'll more than likely run into other players. And possibly their base of operations in various locations. Allies or enemies. It all depends on how everyones feeling. But fighting other clanned and looting their base once defeated is probably the most rewarding part of the game.

Oh and taking slaves to do your dirty work. 

k7AJ80Y.jpg

I think someone was evoking a God here.

iMNbJc2.jpg

As your clan grows so does the base. Location for base building is crucial. The higher the better (safer) especially since some people online raid you while you're offline. Its a dick move but thats how it is so you best prepare.

1LDuYzg.jpg

At this point we had a few clan members each tasked with different things. Everyone comes back with either wood, brimstone, steelfire, blackice, dragonbone, twine, coal, and hundreds, litterally hundreds of other crap to make whatever you wish. I can use various flowers and seeds to make dye and war paint for example. Its impossible to explain just how in depth this game goes. As a result. Some storage and sorting was in order. This was also only temporary. Now we have a massive vault on top of an mountain.

XbkBL1Q.jpg

Our base and vault in background.

BlLyHMb.jpg

I crafted the highest level armour which didn't weigh too much in case I needed to carry things home. Also wielding dragon weapons here. They wont last forever. They perish from use. But some tools and weapons will last longer than others depending on material used. I will need to venture out to the dragons lair at some point for more dragon bone. Some scouts said the next trip won't be easy since another clan moved their base of operations closer to dragons lair in order to control the valuable resource that it is. Other clans do the same for black ice, etc.

In an attempt to deprive other clans of various different resources in order to gain an advantage. Often the reason behind skirmishes and clan fighting. 

xYOhkvF.jpg

The highest level armour in the game (i think) I'm not a high enough level to craft it. And Wearing it takes up like 80% of my encumbrance. So I can barely swing a weapon while wearing it. Once of our clan members made these for all of us. Here I am sporting mine for some selfies. Eventually I will level up enough to wear this in battle.

All images are screenshots of my personal journey in the game thus far... 

Edited by popcorn_skollie

@popcorn_skollie just get a Switch and play Zelda: Breath of the Wild on master mode :ph34r: :whistling:

I say that, although I haven't played BOTW on master mode yet.

That game looks interesting.

Quiet day in the office so this is what I'll be busy with.

05dce2dfb641800925820389831195ef.jpg

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Edited by HyruleWarrior80

Gents, honest question - kids are bugging me for a console!

PS or X-Box or is this one of those questions with no clear answer?

thanks for helping

thanks for helping

Here's an article from Techradar from December 2017:

https://www.techradar.com/news/gaming/consoles/ps4-vs-xbox-720-which-is-better-1127315/6

According to the article, the PS4 has just over 1600 titles, of which over 500 are exclusives or console exclusives, while the Xbox One has about 1300 games, of which 150 are exclusives or console exclusives.

Both consoles have great exclusives, it's just to decide which games you think would suit your kids best.

And here's another, more recent write up from Tom's Guide:

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/xbox-one-vs-ps4,review-2543.html

Personally, I would say get a Nintendo Switch for your kids, depending how old they are. In my opinion the Switch is more family oriented, although there are also games for the Switch which are more suited for adults. However, if you take a game like Skyrim for example, it looks better on PS4 and Xbox One than it does on the Switch, naturally, as the Switch is basically a handheld that you can also play on the TV.

Edited by HyruleWarrior80

I got a PS4 for the boys, and they hardly use it. They prefer their PCs for gaming. My daughter use the PS4 to watch DVDs, and maybe play a game now and then.

thanks for helping

The consoles are very similiar so it will come down to;

- Controller preference

- Exclusive title preference

I think Sony has the superior library, but the Xbox controller fits perfectly in [my] hands. Maybe find out what games they would wanna play and we can advise further.