Calling on you gamers

Guest Kalahari ou

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like a fun little distraction. But it also looks like there are a few bugs and control issues to sort out. For now I'll wait a bit before buying, and keep an eye out for updates

Quick question to the gamers: I'm in the market for a console. Xbox One S, yay or nay? I'm not a serious gamer, so don't need the latest 'n greatest. Any reason not to get it or go the PS4 route? 

Quick question to the gamers: I'm in the market for a console. Xbox One S, yay or nay? I'm not a serious gamer, so don't need the latest 'n greatest. Any reason not to get it or go the PS4 route? 

I have an xbone S and it's okay. I still think I should have got a PS4 though. More exclusives. 

Look at the exclusives then decide. They both do the same thing really and share many, many of the same games. They both work well as media centres too. While most titles will release on both platforms. PS will have exclusives like God of War, Spiderman and The last of us. While Xbox is basically Forza, Halo and Gears of War.

I chose to go xbox for a few reasons

• The controller is more ergonomically sensible to me and feels more comfortable
  • I use my xbox as a media centre as much as I do for gaming. Microsoft has lots of apps I use for this to work between my console and all the other devices on my home lan. The seemless connectivity between Microsoft's platform sharing works well for me. The xbox can read my cloud and I use plex to stream movies from it. 
  • Game pass. This is Microsoft's version of a gaming subscription. What makes it different to the rest is its multi platform support. If a game is released on both Xbox and windows I have access to both. So I pay the R150 or so a month to play a list of say about 100 odd games. Some better than others. And the list changes everymonth. I can choose to play on the platform of my choice assuming the game supports it. I prefer playing racing games on console so that's where I play forza. But prefer shooters on a pc so that's where I play Wolfenstein. Pretty good value for one sub. And nobody does that except Microsoft.

I'm not saying xbox is better. Its just better for me.

Look at the exclusives then decide. They both do the same thing really and share many, many of the same games. They both work well as media centres too. While most titles will release on both platforms. PS will have exclusives like God of War, Spiderman and The last of us. While Xbox is basically Forza, Halo and Gears of War.

I chose to go xbox for a few reasons

• The controller is more ergonomically sensible to me and feels more comfortable
  • I use my xbox as a media centre as much as I do for gaming. Microsoft has lots of apps I use for this to work between my console and all the other devices on my home lan. The seemless connectivity between Microsoft's platform sharing works well for me. The xbox can read my cloud and I use plex to stream movies from it. 
  • Game pass. This is Microsoft's version of a gaming subscription. What makes it different to the rest is its multi platform support. If a game is released on both Xbox and windows I have access to both. So I pay the R150 or so a month to play a list of say about 100 odd games. Some better than others. And the list changes everymonth. I can choose to play on the platform of my choice assuming the game supports it. I prefer playing racing games on console so that's where I play forza. But prefer shooters on a pc so that's where I play Wolfenstein. Pretty good value for one sub. And nobody does that except Microsoft.

I'm not saying xbox is better. Its just better for me.

That's actually very true, thanks for listing those... :lol:

Follow up: is one better than the other i.t.o. co-op/split screen titles? Stuff like Forza, Halo, etc. immediately come to mind. 

Looks like a fun little distraction. But it also looks like there are a few bugs and control issues to sort out. For now I'll wait a bit before buying, and keep an eye out for updates

I bought it. I think the price is a bit steep for what it is but I also feel like I should be supporting local devs. It was fun with a friend for one night. A lekker throwback to old school, side scrolling fighting games. The local jargon and humor is a great touch for any saffa gamer. The artwork is fantastic and its pretty well thrown together too, effects, cut scenes etc. The game mechanics is pretty straight forward and you get the hang of it pretty quickly. I didn't notice any immediate bugs while playing and it actually played pretty well. I was disappointed that it had no ultra-wide support and the games repetitive nature in both play and humor ensured the novelty wore off pretty quick. This will make a great 2 player arcade game at local bars though and the devs should really look into that. I'd like to see a pvp game from them next. Coop is fun. But sometimes its way more fun to choose from a selection of characters and bliksem each other. It will have a much longer shelf life than the current title and its an opportunity to showcase a host of characters which truly reflect South Africa's rich cultural diversity.

Follow up: is one better than the other i.t.o. co-op/split screen titles? Stuff like Forza, Halo, etc. immediately come to mind. 

Very few titles these days actually support split screen. You'd be hard pressed to find a racer or shooter that isn't 10 years old with a few exceptions that are 5+ years old. The split screen days are pretty much over. Nintendo is probably the last bastion of hope when it comes to split screen games. While they still burn a candle for them. They are by no means Nintendo's focus point. That being said. There are many great couch couch co op games to choose from and neither console favors couch co op play better than the other. I love couch co ops/pvp games. The ones that don't need split screen is often far more fun anyways. Fifa, Street Fighter, Overcooked, Speed Runners, Lovers Spacetime and Rocket league to name a few are great games to enjoy at home with people who are actually in the same room.

Playstation 5: patent application matches the leaked images of the development units recently sent out

ps5_devkit_comparison.jpg

that's a pretty wild design.

The V-shaped cooling design isn't something we see every day, though indeed, the console will need some serious cooling power. Sony confirmed to be using an AMD Zen 2 (7nm) processor with eight cores and sixteen threads, and an AMD Radeon Navi for graphics featuring hardware acceleration for real-time ray tracing.

The hardware of the PS5 includes a custom unit for 3D audio, a custom SSD that is reportedly crucial in how games will be developed for the new console, an Ultra HD Blu-ray optical drive that supports up to 100GB discs and 4K Blu-ray video format, an improved controller packing a larger battery, USB-Type C connectivity, adaptive triggers and haptics motors.

We also know that the suspended gameplay state will use much less energy than was the case for the PlayStation 4. Sony committed to this endeavor as part of the 'Playing for the Planet' UN initiative. The system's User Interface (UI) has been completely revamped as well, according to Lead System Architect Mark Cerny.

The PlayStation 5 has been confirmed to be due for the Holiday season next year

Playstation 5: patent application matches the leaked images of the development units recently sent out

ps5_devkit_comparison.jpg

that's a pretty wild design.

Will be very surprised if that design is the launch design.........

Not particularly appealing to me anyway.

Will be very surprised if that design is the launch design.........

Not particularly appealing to me anyway.

Its the devkit. For devs. Not the end user console. Its not unusual for these to leak first.

It means a handful of game developers will start testing. And eventually get to working on a few titles to be released with the consoles launch. 

Me and some guys in the office play Xonotic over lunch time (12:30 to 13:30) so if you like 'n lekker fast (free) arena shooter then come and join. Server is called "Zombie Apocalypse" and if you join you'll see why. 

Its the devkit. For devs. Not the end user console. Its not unusual for these to leak first.

It means a handful of game developers will start testing. And eventually get to working on a few titles to be released with the consoles launch. 

Jip, read that too yesterday.

I believe launch is Feb 2020........