Calling on you gamers

Guest Kalahari ou

As long as GRRM is directly involved in writing the script, and not those idiots that went nuts with the TV series. They stuffed that one up 6 luv.

I only watched from season 5. Season 8 felt a bit rushed but I didn't mind how it ended.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly, seems a bit of a stretch. The latest and best PC hardware can't push 8K above something like 15fps, so how the hell will a console coming out next year be able to do that?

I understand optimisation and all of that, but surely 60fps at 8K is a bit of a stretch.

If it can, expect a R10 000+ price tag

Yeah, but also remember that the specs are future-dated, and platform efficiency is real. With the lower level of detail in console games (closer horizon, less detail etc) and a single spec vs multivaried specs on the PC side, they are able to push a much higher FPS rating than the "equivalent" PC would on High / max settings seeing as consoles generally are putting graphics out at the equivalent of a "medium" setting on the PC side. So I don't think it's a far fetched idea, especially seeing as it's still only gonna be launched in 2020, maybe.  

TLDR version: Console @ 8k = PC @ 8k on medium. 

Edited by Captain Fatbastard Mayhem

Yeah, but also remember that the specs are future-dated, and platform efficiency is real. With the lower level of detail in console games (closer horizon, less detail etc) and a single spec vs multivaried specs on the PC side, they are able to push a much higher FPS rating than the "equivalent" PC would on High / max settings seeing as consoles generally are putting graphics out at the equivalent of a "medium" setting on the PC side. So I don't think it's a far fetched idea, especially seeing as it's still only gonna be launched in 2020, maybe.  

TLDR version: Console @ 8k = PC @ 8k on medium. 

Ah, you see that's where I always forget that what normal people call 8K/4K graphics and what console peasants are happy with isn't the same thing.

So basically the resolution will be there, but not the quality/fidelity

Ah, you see that's where I always forget that what normal people call 8K/4K graphics and what console peasants are happy with isn't the same thing.

Its not as simple as that. Remember, consoles generally run at lower frames too because they're plugged into TVs. So all the 4k titles available now on console are running at 30 frames. Some even as low as 24 fps. Not much is required to drive that. Now in the PC gaming world if you're running games at 24 fps then people would assume that your PC is made of wood.

There's also all sorts of visual trickery to enable smooth 4k gaming on consoles.

Tech similar to freesync is used to smooth out frames and keep things constant. 

Then if a scene requires more resources than the console can deliver. Visual fidelity is often dropped in individual frames saving these resources. It does this intelligently so you barely notice if at all. 3 frames high settings, 2 frames medium, 1 frame low, another 2 medium then the next 3 frames on high and so on. It happens so seamlessly that it really is hard to spot unless you're really looking for it.

I'll leave this here

While this may be true for games which favour high refresh rate gaming. Which admittedly is quite a large chunk of games out there. Especially shooters and racing games. 4k gaming is still pretty pretty dope for titles where you just don't need that many frames. Fifa 19 in 4k at 60 frames on a big screen is way better than Fifa 19 running at over 100 frames on a 1080p monitor. I'd also argue that we're getting pretty close to 4k high refresh rate gaming anyways. 

Linus posted that video before the RTX Titan was released. Which to the best of my knowledge is today's fastest consumer gpu. Check the video below and you'll see that titans in SLI could quite comfortably game at over 100 frames in 4k at the highest settings. Most of them are not quite hitting the 144hz mark. But I'm willing to bet it wont be long before they do.

https://youtu.be/54Oxnsktin4

Console "peasants" get the girls [emoji16]

Saying that, I started on PC in '94 and console in '88. Gaming is gaming.

Linus posted that video before the RTX Titan was released. Which to the best of my knowledge is today's fastest consumer gpu. Check the video below and you'll see that titans in SLI could quite comfortably game at over 100 frames in 4k at the highest settings. Most of them are not quite hitting the 144hz mark. But I'm willing to bet it wont be long before they do.

Yes, but how many people can afford 2 RTX Titans running in SLI config? Definitely not moi.  :blush:

Console "peasants" get the girls [emoji16]

Saying that, I started on PC in '94 and console in '88. Gaming is gaming.

Also do both, just love the ridiculous fanboyness of some gamers. 

Certain games are awesome on PC and other on Console. Try playing Red Alert or similar on console and you will get what I mean

Yes, but how many people can afford 2 RTX Titans running in SLI config? Definitely not moi.  :blush:

I don't think many people can. Trust Fund babies? Social media influences? Spez owners?

Also do both, just love the ridiculous fanboyness of some gamers. 

Certain games are awesome on PC and other on Console. Try playing Red Alert or similar on console and you will get what I mean

Fanboys will be fanboys - whether it be about a certain gaming console, phone brand, car brand, bicycle brand etc.

Nah I couldn't imagine an RTS on console, or an FPS for that matter. I would need a mouse.

Fanboys will be fanboys - whether it be about a certain gaming console, phone brand, car brand, bicycle brand etc.

Nah I couldn't imagine an RTS on console, or an FPS for that matter. I would need a mouse.

Amen to that

I've got DOOM on console (XBone) and it's HORRIBLE. 

I've got DOOM on console (XBone) and it's HORRIBLE. 

I was contemplating about getting it for Switch. The idea of playing Doom on the go sounded almost too good, but then I'm so used to playing an FPS with a keyboard and mouse - that, and I tried COD: Roads to Victory on PSP and I just didn't enjoy it.

The problem with playing FPS on consoles are the low refresh rate. My eyes just are not able to handle anything under 100 FPS. It gets all watery and I get headaches. You know, age and all that crap. 

Edited by Moridin

BTW, I am building myself a PC rig later this year. As a dev, I will mostly be using it for dev work, but I also use it for some CAD and some gaming.

I was thinking of Threadripper 2, but heard it is not exactly great for gaming. Intel LGA2066 X series is another option, but damn those Intel HEDT CPU pricing.

Don't ask about budget. Budgeting a system build is for the fishes, but was targeting around 30K for the box alone.

BTW, I am building myself a PC rig later this year. As a dev, I will mostly be using it for dev work, but I also use it for some CAD and some gaming.

I was thinking of Threadripper 2, but heard it is not exactly great for gaming. Intel LGA2066 X series is another option, but damn those Intel HEDT CPU pricing.

Don't ask about budget. Budgeting a system build is for the fishes, but was targeting around 30K for the box alone.

Well, if the rumours about the Zen 2 Ryzen 3000 series performance are to be believed, they could be great for both gaming and dev/CAD?

For example: https://wccftech.com/amd-zen-2-5ghz-12-core-4-3ghz-16-core-cpus-leaked-benchmarked/

Take that with a shovel of salt, of course, but official announcement is Monday? So, we'll know soon enough.

I plan on going for the fastest Ryzen 3000 I can afford, decent MB (x570 chipset if I can), decent RAM, and big-ish M.2 SSD (hopefully 1TB, partitioned for Windows, Linux and games). GPU upgrade will have to wait a year or two.