2013 Karoo to Coast vs To hell and back

andrecapetown

Seeing that I'm cape town base and can only do 1 of these which one would you recommend?

TH&B sounds great, and I've never taken the road down from swartberg pass.

Have only done H&B, but have friends who have done both - besides both being on dirt roads, 2 very different type of races, hard to compare, think it depends on what you want & like.

H&B smaller field, more climbing, more difficult, but riding down Gamkaskloof(The Hell) and the 20km downhill down Swartberg pass on Day 2 spectacular, What makes it tough is that you either climb long, steep uphills, or you bomb down treacherous downhills, virtually no flattish sections to get into some kind of a rhythm like normal races.

I'd say do both :-) Maybe one this year and the other next year

To hell and back is great fun but not very challenging. I don't know about karoo to coast. Also think of the logistics. To hell and back is start and finish same spot. I think karoo to coast you have to get your car form A to B. Unless you own KITT it may be a challenge.

To hell & back definitely. Smaller field as mentioned, great weather, logistics and camping is great. You can take the wife and kids with and they can enjoy camping while you ride in and out the next day. The campsite is very nice and clean. The braai in the hell where everybody shares 5 braai tongs between 300 people absolutely priceless!!

K2C is like the Argus version of offroad races. Technical only for the first 20 km and the rest is on very good gravel roads. I've have not done the THB race, but have ridden in that area and can say this ride is much harder, but very enjoyable. Like Scubarra said, do both.

To hell & back definitely. Smaller field as mentioned, great weather, logistics and camping is great. You can take the wife and kids with and they can enjoy camping while you ride in and out the next day. The campsite is very nice and clean. The braai in the hell where everybody shares 5 braai tongs between 300 people absolutely priceless!!

I have entered K2C and Seweweekspoort this year (done both before - great). Have never doen H&B. Want to enter this year. I believe there are different options when staying over in the Hell (1st day). Which option is the best? Which camping area are you talking about where family can stay over?

We do K2C every year and it's great fun. We from PE and come in several vehicles with wives etc and overnight in Knysna. Need to make a 2- 3 day trip of it if you coming from CT. If you don't have backup, the logistics can be a mission. Also agree with Vanstone, K2C is not very technical and a good ride for Roadies to try out some mtb'ing. It's still a 100kays but relatively easy. Do H&B first and then K2C as something different. Knysna Forest ride also good if you want to get that part of the world. Normally first weekend of the festival early July.

Guest Route62mtb

I entered H&B already but noway near ready for it :unsure: can't wait :huh:

And if I can I'll do K2C too :clap:

2HB is way more fun than K2C in my opinion. If you're driving all the way there anyway, rather get 2 days of riding out of it. Also, as mentioned, there is a great vibe at the camping site in the Hell and weather is almost guaranteed to be perfect (although rather hot).

Did THAB last year and I have entered for this year (to try and get a better time).

Day one is really Ok(ish) we took it slow and took lots of pics along the way.

Water points are great.

Heart Break hill WILL BREAK YOU if you try to conquer it during mid day (which we did 'cause of picture taking)

Day 2 is absolute torture if its hot (which it will be) you climb for 40km, but coming flying down swartberg pass makes it all worth it.

If you planning to go book and pay your accommodation at de hoek now otherwise you'll have to stay at wilgenwandel or cango and it sucks to drive all the way there when you are dead tired.

As said it's not very technical as its a district road, some of the corners are however sharp with steep drop-offs.

To hell and back is great fun but not very challenging.

Are you kidding me? Compared to what?

I guess it's all relative. Hell & Back was one of the most challenging events I've participated in.