what have I done????

mikethebike234

a few weeks ago I loveingly cleaned my bike till she was all sparkly clean and lubed then I got sick and was out of action for 3 weeks when I wanted to go riding yesterday the rear freewheel was seized up so I unseized it with the help of a hammer and a block of wood then I went fo a nice long ride up at tokai yesterday ..now I am re- naming my bike the coffee grinder ..I think the bearing in both the front and the rear hub are in their glory ...I can even hear the grinding ...and Im deaf .... the question is do I ride them until they are completey stuffed and just get new hubs or do I just get new wheels bearing in mind (pardon the pun) that I have an extremely limited budget say maybe R1800.00 ... just wondering I will probably spend the afternoon re-greasing the bearings I can get to ...

Just replace the bearings, remove them to see what type of bearings you need and then buy new ones. No need to replace the hubs. You'll probably buy new bearings for the front and rear hub in the ballpark of R100-150. You'd probably find that those bearings are beyond re-greasing.

Edited by Helpmytrap

a few weeks ago I loveingly cleaned my bike till she was all sparkly clean and lubed then I got sick and was out of action for 3 weeks when I wanted to go riding yesterday the rear freewheel was seized up so I unseized it with the help of a hammer and a block of wood then I went fo a nice long ride up at tokai yesterday ..now I am re- naming my bike the coffee grinder ..I think the bearing in both the front and the rear hub are in their glory ...I can even hear the grinding ...and Im deaf .... the question is do I ride them until they are completey stuffed and just get new hubs or do I just get new wheels bearing in mind (pardon the pun) that I have an extremely limited budget say maybe R1800.00 ... just wondering I will probably spend the afternoon re-greasing the bearings I can get to ...

Should be able to bearings fairly easily.

What hub is it?

I cleaned it with a light hosewash and some degreaser...methinks some degreaser got in the works...hmmmm

Rims WTB SX24 Double Wall, Disc specific

Front Hub: Formula Disc Alloy QR 32H

Rear Hub: Formula Disc Alloy QR and freehub 32H

Heres to hoping those are sealed bearing hubs not cup and cone, if it's the latter it may get rather pricey

I cleaned it with a light hosewash and some degreaser...methinks some degreaser got in the works...hmmmm

Rims WTB SX24 Double Wall, Disc specific

Front Hub: Formula Disc Alloy QR 32H

Rear Hub: Formula Disc Alloy QR and freehub 32H

If it's cup and cone, you need to take hubs axle, etc out. Check the cup and cones for pitting. Repack with grease,Replace the ball bearings, tighten and set

If you want to do it ourself make sure ou have the correct size cone spanners, grease, any grease, and a good book with instructions. If the cone are bot set properly ou can create more damage. Make sure you inspect he steel cups in the hub that there are no damage or pitting, do the same with the cone. The cone you can replace, the cups you cannot.

A good instruction ook is the Park Big Blue Book of Bicycle Repair.

Have a look at this link ..........

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/hub-overhaul-and-adjustment

Guest Oom Kalahari!

I cant bear this anymore...

No, too soon?

Edited by Oom Kalahari!

its a real mess in there all pitted on the hub and the cone ...uuurggghh I'm just going to shove some new grease in sstick the whole lot together and ride it untill it totally unridable or I can make a better plan just a pity this https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/48089-wtb-sx24-wheelset-brand-new

is not in cape town....... and now if you all excuse me I'm just going to cry myself to sleep....

What have I done? I remember saying that after the sonar that time

its also when youve decide youre only having two and then you and the wife discover shes preggies with number 3 aaaaaaarrrgggghhhhhh...WHAT HAVE I DONE !!!!!!

its also when youve decide youre only having two and then you and the wife discover shes preggies with number 3 aaaaaaarrrgggghhhhhh...WHAT HAVE I DONE !!!!!!

Shoulda gone for that vasectomy for my 40th after alll I'm to old for this.....and now my bike...wahhhh