serious running advice needed from real iron men!

Super J

I'm also firmly in the netural minimal shoe brigade (not sure I'll ever be barefoot hardcore!).

I had endless ITB issues when I first converted from cycling to duathlon. I went for numerous tests, trial runs, assessments and general "we know science" stuff. I was told over and over that I needed motion control shoes. I bought 5 or 6 pairs with zero success - the only way I could run was 3 weeks on with loads of physio followed by 1 week rest to allow the ITB to deswell. It was misery.

One day I was at my chiro having my back mended after an accident and he mentioned that he had a little foot tester. I jumped on and he confirmed that theoretically I need motion control shoes but said that my body had spent 30 years getting used to my pronation so why was I trying to undo all that work?

I bouoght some neutral shoes and never looked back - no pain - no swollen ITB. Joy!

Recently I've been buying thinner and thinner shoes with less and less heel to toe difference and feeling even better.

My theory is that we could run barefoot on soft surfaces (grass, sand etc) - all we need is some cushioning for the cement and tar - no motion control - no anti pronation - no artificial foot guidance of any type.

Yeh - I used to run when I was young and stupid and running shoes were a new idea. I found that everytime I bought the latest, most padded shoe (think Nike Pegasus if you're old enough), I'd injure straight away, but if I bought shoes that were as close to an army boot as is possible in a Nike, I would be fine.

If only I knew then what I know now.

I'm considering buying some minimalist shoes and see how things go. Maybe comrades again next year for my 50th... 30yrs after my previous one... ;-)

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Now here is real advice from a real duathlete, who cooked us all up at the GN/CG trails this year. Pity to was over committed and was unable to do the same at the SA champs.

I like this guy.

There is a beer with your name on it at the Blue Hills duathlon!

Can't get through to their phone... what did they charge for an assessment?

I'll answer this - I got through. R400.

Mike sounds like a nice guy.

Read the book "Born to Run" by Christopher McDougal.......... It's the bible of running

I tried but got bored with it before 1/2 way, its still on my coffee table tho a great conversation piece...

People upon seeing it say "Do you really run barefoot?" which follows with me lecturing them about the evils of motion control shoes much like Eldrons post (which I agree with).

I like this guy.

There is a beer with your name on it at the Blue Hills duathlon!

Well I have to thank you for not racing at the SA Champs for else you would have pushed me out of the results.

Well I have to thank you for not racing at the SA Champs for else you would have pushed me out of the results.

We'll buy each other a beer - two beers is always better than 1 I say!

You racing on Sunday?

many barefoot runners also ride singlespeeds, if that is any indication of sanity........

many barefoot runners also ride singlespeeds, if that is any indication of sanity........

Guerilla Action Man duathlon!

I have an SS but am still to much of a poofah to run barefoot. I'm a proper engelsman with dainty feet....

Just a few pointers:

1) If you are Pretoria Based, go and see Rian and Max at Running inn. They have years of experience and do an assessment for free.

2) The secret to fast runs off the bike (Ironman distance excluded) is racing flats. Because you are more prone to lean forward you will ultimately end up striking mid foot (hence the collapse of the arch) and then roll off the toes.

Most training shoes do not have enough flexibility in the forefoot so it ends up restricting your range / spring off step.

So give a light weight trainer/racer a try. They end up being faster than most shoes anyway for that distance.

3) Go to a grass track once a week and run laps barefoot ON THE GRASS. this will force the muscles in your feet to strenghten to prevent too much pronating.

PS! Barefoot running is not allowed in Triathlons and Duathlons.

4) lastly, do regular foam roller sessions to losen up the ITB, Peronials and Soleus muscles.

It is a chain reaction. the feet hurt so the mind will protect it. this is transfered into your calves. you will feel tight and sore calves and soleus. this will pull on the knee, the knee will pull on the quads and voila you have cramping quads too.

The longer the distance, this will pull on the periformus muscle (deep in the bumm) and cause the back to bend.

For more on this visit www.tptherapy.com

They have great videos and valuable info on this.

Good luck

Does Mike charge for this assessment?

No. Part of his service. He videoed me in several pairs of shoes on the treadmill and compared the various angles on the screen. It was quite obvious which shoes worked the best on my design reject feet.

Just a few pointers:

1) If you are Pretoria Based, go and see Rian and Max at Running inn. They have years of experience and do an assessment for free.

2) The secret to fast runs off the bike (Ironman distance excluded) is racing flats. Because you are more prone to lean forward you will ultimately end up striking mid foot (hence the collapse of the arch) and then roll off the toes.

Most training shoes do not have enough flexibility in the forefoot so it ends up restricting your range / spring off step.

So give a light weight trainer/racer a try. They end up being faster than most shoes anyway for that distance.

3) Go to a grass track once a week and run laps barefoot ON THE GRASS. this will force the muscles in your feet to strenghten to prevent too much pronating.

PS! Barefoot running is not allowed in Triathlons and Duathlons.

4) lastly, do regular foam roller sessions to losen up the ITB, Peronials and Soleus muscles.

It is a chain reaction. the feet hurt so the mind will protect it. this is transfered into your calves. you will feel tight and sore calves and soleus. this will pull on the knee, the knee will pull on the quads and voila you have cramping quads too.

The longer the distance, this will pull on the periformus muscle (deep in the bumm) and cause the back to bend.

For more on this visit www.tptherapy.com

They have great videos and valuable info on this.

Good luck

wow. why do I suddenly feel like popping a voltaren!?

Edited by dracs

I'll answer this - I got through. R400.

Mike sounds like a nice guy.

No. Part of his service. He videoed me in several pairs of shoes on the treadmill and compared the various angles on the screen. It was quite obvious which shoes worked the best on my design reject feet.

He asks 400 bucks for full 1hour assessment http://sbrsport.word...leg-assessment/

But puts you on the treadmill for basic assessment for free, or that is how I understand it.....

So DaveM you had the basic quick assessemnt not the full monty I assume. Or, being the hardcore true IM you are - you are such a good customer for SBR that Mike gladly waived his fee.... :whistling: Edited by dracs

The best advice anyone gave me was to try lynotherapy. I used to pronate so bad that I ran in motion control shoes. My ITB was almost chronic and I was almost always injured. I went for lynotherapy and now run in neutral shoes and injury free. The idea behind it is that you strengthen the weak muscles and run in neutral shoes. I've also made the transition to nike free runs which I use daily. It's a 3 month base building with daily running and lots of strength work to get the weak muscles strong but I think it's worth it.

The best advice anyone gave me was to try lynotherapy. I used to pronate so bad that I ran in motion control shoes. My ITB was almost chronic and I was almost always injured. I went for lynotherapy and now run in neutral shoes and injury free. The idea behind it is that you strengthen the weak muscles and run in neutral shoes. I've also made the transition to nike free runs which I use daily. It's a 3 month base building with daily running and lots of strength work to get the weak muscles strong but I think it's worth it.
Contact Mari Naude at Technogym Design Quarters. Very good bio + lynotherapist. Worked miracles for me