serious running advice needed from real iron men!

Super J

Okay as another wannabe duathlete, as agteros (don't believe he is a wannabe, as he has some real race credentials) hinted at, running shoes are in a rather controversial space at the moment.

There is more and more evidence and antedotal evidence that running shoes are redundant and even counter productive (very musch like the 29er debate). The growing position is that barefoot, upright, short stride running is better than the long stride, shod running we all have grown accustom to.

The orginal advice in your case was to buy very rigid montion control or anti pronation shoes, like brooks beast, or sacouny grids or something similar.

The alternative advice is to go barefoot with vivo barefoot, vibran five fingers, or new balance minius. THe point will be that you will have to "Start from Scratch" short runs, with short pace, with lots of "Squat sitting" to strengthen your foot muscles and stretch your archilles tendons. in other words instead of compensating for your weaknesses with shoes, rather focus on teh weakness and strengthen it (and thereby reduce injuries on the long term).

I have gone barefoot from heavy motion control shoes, it has taken a year and I can now start running sub 45min 10kms and complete intervals training at about 4min/km. So yes on the short term you will lose speed, but in the end you run more comfortably, with more efficiency.

but then I am still a duathlon wannabe

I am serious wannabe. Trust me but thanks for the vote of confidence!

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't really add much than what has already been said.

If you're having problems, seek advice from someone that knows what they're talking about.

Edited by Thug

wow. why do I suddenly feel like popping a voltaren!?

You've never experienced renal failure?

many barefoot runners also ride singlespeeds, if that is any indication of sanity........

KISS! :D

So DaveM you had the basic quick assessemnt not the full monty I assume. Or, being the hardcore true IM you are - you are such a good customer for SBR that Mike gladly waived his fee.... :whistling:

Probably spent 45 minutes with me. Was mid week so pretty quiet in the shop. I havent spent much in the shop other than on the shoes I have bought.

It is still worth the money to get the right shoe.

Contact Mari Naude at Technogym Design Quarters. Very good bio + lynotherapist. Worked miracles for me

Been Seeing Sarah Campbell (physio). Agree about the miracles. Some serious voodoo. As much as I hate bunkies, I know how good they are for me. I still can't believe how something so simple (and painful) helped so much. Prior to lyno, I tried various physios, podiatrist, orthopod... All a big waste of money and made my problems worse. couldn't take the injuries and pain so stopped running for 3years. I'm eternally grateful for lyno. Solved my running problems

Jason. What duathlon season are you talking about?

Only events I know off is the two mtb duathlon events in centurion and midrand and afriman later.

If you know of more post them here

Good luck finding shoes for those boats of yours!

You've never experienced renal failure?

No and don't plan too! That description just brought back some painful memories...

I have definitely popped one or 2 anti-inflammatories in my time - but never during a race or while training - only after. Same can't be said for a significant portion of the comrades field...

Edited by dracs

Probably spent 45 minutes with me. Was mid week so pretty quiet in the shop. I havent spent much in the shop other than on the shoes I have bought.

It is still worth the money to get the right shoe.

yup I have chatted to him before but not on shoes - found him very helpful and not doing a big sell like that other tri shop in Sunninghill.... will def go chat to him when I replace shoes in next few months.

Can't get through to their phone... what did they charge for an assessment?

Mike @ SBR does not charge for assessment