USN 50 km race.. My 1st 50 km MTB race

Active Monkey

My total elevation gain was 381m. Pity I dont know how to post my elevation graph/picture from garmin connect. :blush:

By the looks of it the biggest climb was less than 100m

The biggest climb is at the end because the legs will be FLAT!

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Doing the 30km as my third race.

Went riding there a couple of times, as long as they don't include the most technical stuff big red barn has to offer, this should be easy, compared to anything else of the same distance.

This is a awesome place to ride, can also vouch for the fast flowing single track, hopefully theres not a traffic jam in there.

Below is the race info that was mailed out by the Velocourse team a couple of weeks ago:

Hi Guys and Gals

With just under 3 week to go to the 4th race of the USN MTB Cup, we thought we would send out some information on the route.

We are pleased to announce for this race all routes will be a single lap. We are also pleased to say that the split for the 50km and 30km race will be right near the start (after just short of 30km) and the 50km riders will only re-join behind the 30km riders 300m from the finish . The route will still consist of a 50km single loop and this time we have added even MORE great pieces of fast flowing single track.

Both routes consist of mainly jeep and single track. There will be one short stretch of district road halfway through the 30km ride. The routes are pretty flat and fast with the 50km event having 576m of climbing and the 30km 371m of climbing. All in all a fun morning out on the mountain bike!!

Below is the link to the route profiles should you want to see the elevation levels : http://www.usn.co.za/bulletin/press-releases/race-profiles--usn-mtb-cup-4-2013-R346.html

For the first time in the USN MTB Cup series we have added a single speed category which will allow the single speeders a chance to compete for the podium. when entering, please make sure you choose the correct category.

Entries are open on –http://cycleevents.co.za/mountain-biking-events/

Here’s the lo-down:

Date: Saturday, 8 June 2013 Venue: The Big Red Barn, Olifantsfontein/Midrand

Start: 8:00am

Distance: 50km, 30km, 10km and a 2km kiddies ride

Did the 50km @ the USN Cup 2, and did it in 2:45. All depends if you get caught up in bottlenecks or sit behind somebody slow at the single tracks for the last 25 km !!

Very nice ride. Doing the 30 this time around with buddies.

good luck and enjoy !!!

Looking at the route profile, take a GU at +-28km and another at +-42km this should get you over the marginal climbs that are on the profile all else seems alright

Time to rest up, give it horns in the morning

Interested to hear how everyone did after the race

We should organize hubber riding shirts - just a thought :whistling:

Well that was not so bad .... I started in the c group and got held back a few times due to bottle necks...slow riders and ppl stopping in the middle if a single track.

I did 52.23 km and time of 2.58.38.

Any one know where these results get posted?