The Hans Dampf thread

DR ◣◢

I am a back-marker at best, so I cannot comment on rolling resistance etc but I love the comfort and grip.

I used to ride with Crossmarks front and back but during last year's Mabalingwe race, I lost the front-end at very low speed close to the finish on a patch of loose over hard.

Started my search for a tyre with more grip and bought a Hans Dampf Trailstar 2.35 from CRC.

I love this tyre in front of my Anthem 29er

Tubeless mounting was very easy on stock rims.

Sadly I have not done any riding during the last year due to poor health but I can recommend this tyre.

Edited by An3

• 1 month later...

So which of the Hans Dampf's the best for grip vs wear?

Should I go Trailstar in the front & Pacestar in the back?

Where's the best place to buy these monsters?

Hi Naas

What would your recommendation be ito HD versus Trailstar or Pace star (which one for front and back) for the average back of the pack weekend warrior who does your run of the mill mtbiking and some tar commuting?

So which of the Hans Dampf's the best for grip vs wear?

Should I go Trailstar in the front & Pacestar in the back?

Where's the best place to buy these monsters?

Pacestar is the hardy compound, so lasts longer. Works well at the back, but you will have to find the tyre pressure that works best for you.

Trailstar is the softer compound (vertstar being the softest), and should go up front if more grip is your objective. Again, compound is one part of the grip equation,and you'll have to play with the tyre pressure as well to maximise the grip from that perspective.

Hi Naas

What would your recommendation be ito HD versus Trailstar or Pace star (which one for front and back) for the average back of the pack weekend warrior who does your run of the mill mtbiking and some tar commuting?

You can use the pacestar, especially since you hitting up the tar sometimes. Bit of a waste in general no matter the compound. But it should add some longevity to the tyres going with pacestar wrt roadie commutes.

But as before, play around with tyre pressure once you hit the dirt.