2014 Joberg2C

Wayne Potgieter

What do you mean? Cutoffs?

Old Mutual joBerg2c goes GPS

Based on the success of the recent dusi2c and how simple and yet effective it was, we have decided to make the Old Mutual joBerg2c a GPS event. Which means the course will not be marked in the traditional way. This is great news from an environmental perspective. You will also now ride completely at one with nature. However we still have marshals and full support on the route.

Even a city guy like Proper Wappo had no problems using the GPS to follow the dusi2c route which is a lot more complicated than our route. It adds something different and if it was even a little bit tricky we would not include it.

What does this mean? You and your partner will need a GPS device. More information will be made in later newsletters and we will hopefully have some really good specials through suppliers if you don’t already have a GPS device.

In the words of Andrew Maclean on SuperCycling “this is definitely the future”.

Many events are likely to follow so it will be a worthwhile investment beyond the Old Mutual joBerg2c.

If you have any concerns please email Craig.

9 day option only

Based on the success of the 9 day event, we will only offer this option in 2014 - teams of two riders and solos (limited).

Entry criteria

We are not an event that tries to break you but rather uplift you. (See the latest articles in Tread Magazine and Ride Magazine for confirmation). However, riding 900kms is tough and requires a level of character, fitness and mountain biking ability to complete the entire journey. We have devised a set of comprehensive entry criteria, which will give riders the chance to see if this event is for them. Click here >

The Old Mutual joBerg2c 2014 – the 15km/h OR 9 mi/h rule

In order to look after all our riders and ensure their safety as well ensure that our medical crew and support staff are not working over extended hours we have decided to enforce our new 15km/h average rule for each stage. In miles an hour, this equates to 9mi/h.

This is a very achievable average speed however you should take note as you will hear a lot about it over the next few months. It is your benchmark, your motivator. 15 is the number. Ask yourself "will I be above or below average". If you have any doubts do a few rides and get the feel of what it is like to average 15km/h. It really is achievable without much effort.

Case Study - Matthew Karan ...

One of our sponsors, Matthew Karan confirmed that he rode comfortably at an average speed 18km/h on day 3 and at 15km/h on day 4, the two longest days in the event. He confirmed he still took pics and had a great day. He did not overdo the training but he was fit enough to maintain this average. Matthew is going to be our 15km/h official spokesperson!

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What do you mean? Cutoffs?

It would seem that way. See attached quote above.

This years race saw some riders spending some looooong days out on the trails...

It would seem that way. See attached quote above.

This years race saw some riders spending some looooong days out on the trails...

I think it means you'll be swept but will still be allowed to continue the next day. Similar to this year where they had cut off points.

I think it means you'll be swept but will still be allowed to continue the next day. Similar to this year where they had cut off points.

Agreed - I'm sure you'll be swept and allowed to continue the next day. Just means the cut offs will be less lenient. Ie: 6hrs for a 90km day whereas I think the cut off points this year allowed for longer days.

Basically the organisers are just trying to sound clever and forward thinking but are just saying that the cut off points are shorter.

This sounds pretty reasonable - it's 8 hours on the longer stages.

As for the GPS, can you do it on a Garmin Edge 500? Anyone do the Dusi2c on one?

Or do you need to upgrade to the 800/810?

R16,500 for Solo entry...

Im out, not gonna do it at that price

Then I also have to add a Garmin on top of that as my Bryton 35 wont work

R16,500 for Solo entry...

Im out, not gonna do it at that price

Then I also have to add a Garmin on top of that as my Bryton 35 wont work

Agreed Sean. We're out too...

...we have something else planned :ph34r: .

From what I understand, if you have been swepted twice during the race you will not continue but come back the next year "when you are fitter"......

Seen the entry fee? Brace yourself - R 16,500 solo.

Organisers taking the piss :cursing: :cursing:

Im a bit miffed by this, I was so looking forward to doing it again but having done the 6 day and the full 9, I can say Im done... purely because of the cost.

Seen the entry fee? Brace yourself - R 16,500 solo.

Organisers taking the piss :cursing: :cursing:

Did the 6 day solo this year, loved it and considered doing 9 day solo next year but I agree, at that price I would rather do the Cape Pioneer.....

If they're not marking the route, surely that's a sizeable cost saving to the organisers. Clearly they're not passing these on.

If they're not marking the route, surely that's a sizeable cost saving to the organisers. Clearly they're not passing these on.

KV is a good mentor

Come on guys, I can assure you that the organisers are not trying to rip us off. The fee is still pocket-change when compared to Epic. The food is better, the camps are better, the atmosphere is better, it is a day longer and there is hundreds of km of purpose-cut singletrack. Solo entries are a bit more because it means individual tents etc.