2014 Joberg2C

Wayne Potgieter

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think if the .tcx file contains turn by turn directions, the GPS device should beep and give you an arrow pointing which way to go. Hopefully slightly in advance. I don't think you can create these turn-by-turn directions using the Edge 500 by itself, but if you export the data (probably a .fit file) to somewhere like http://ridewithgps.com you can add the turn points to the route, and then export it as a .tcx file with these cues. Problem is you it looks like you need to sign up for their premium offering to add these cues.

If you just save a course from one of your own rides you'll just see breadcrumbs.

I can't say i've explored this all fully myself. The best thing would be if anyone who's done the Dusi2c using an edge 500 could chime in. According to the Dusi2c website, "The only way you can follow the route is by using any Garmin Edge device or Bryton Rider 50 GPS with the very precise route map of the Dusi2c".

I was unsure of my navigation capabilities until I was forced to use them at this years Tour de Tuli which has very dense bush and is quite remote, so there are not that many proper trail lines or tyre marks to follow! I uploaded the .gpx files to my Garmin Edge 510. You need to play around with it a bit to get used to the zoom factor (if you are too close in it seems you are always off course) and also set the scrolling screens so you do not miss crucial turns when the screen is changing view. If you have the chance, download a local route or 2 and go testing a bit. Might also help to turn down the screen brightness on longer days so you don't run out of battery!!! I also had to do a slight file conversion to get the supplied .gpx file to work correctly, all I can advise is don't leave your navigation testing for day 1.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, no takers - I've dropped it a K. If you're keen to do this event solo you can now do it for cheaper than last years price.

What are the dates?

• 2 weeks later...

I have a team entry for sub vets men for sale.

Anyone interested?

Are you chickening out?

Are you chickening out?

no. Honestly...with the amount of travelling I have been doing for work, and with the amount I still have to do. I simply dont want to be away from my wife and kids for nine days.

Gonna sell the j2c entry and tskd a sani2c instead.

Ok, no takers - I've dropped it a K. If you're keen to do this event solo you can now do it for cheaper than last years price.

This is still up for grabs too.

I am still thinking about this one. Pretty bashed up from the W2W step-offs - I wont be able to do any of the 94.7 races as things stand (still cannot walk properly or hold a glass). Sob- sob being a pussy, I know....but my question is: is it harder or easier to do it solo? Most of my crap at W2W was because of a partner that is technically much better than me. This year he was also fitter hence I was on my limits most of the time. All of us know a partner also makes life better with repairs etc. My partner was very patient but both of us knew I was holding him back. If this goes on for 9 days it must be crap for both. So is it easier to suffer alone and at your own pace?

I am still thinking about this one. Pretty bashed up from the W2W step-offs - I wont be able to do any of the 94.7 races as things stand (still cannot walk properly or hold a glass). Sob- sob being a pussy, I know....but my question is: is it harder or easier to do it solo? Most of my crap at W2W was because of a partner that is technically much better than me. This year he was also fitter hence I was on my limits most of the time. All of us know a partner also makes life better with repairs etc. My partner was very patient but both of us knew I was holding him back. If this goes on for 9 days it must be crap for both. So is it easier to suffer alone and at your own pace?

Did it alone this year and it was fantastic. Rode with mates when we wanted to but because there is no pressure to hang on it makes it easier. I was very lucky, broke a bottle cage on day 3 or 4 but didn't have a single mechanical problem. On the long district road sections in the free state find a bunch and hang on.

mmmm double edged sword I would say

with the solo you go at your pace, you stop where you want to stop and put hammer down when you feeling good, you have the tent to yourself BUT no motivational speeches from partner, you carry everything yourself incl all the spares and bike stuffs and if you don't have maatjies you know at the race, it could get fairly lonely.

Did the solo this year, but there was a big group of us....Eldron, sean, jcza, dipslick, jakalas, janine and we also booked our tents in sequence.

mmmm double edged sword I would say

with the solo you go at your pace, you stop where you want to stop and put hammer down when you feeling good, you have the tent to yourself BUT no motivational speeches from partner, you carry everything yourself incl all the spares and bike stuffs and if you don't have maatjies you know at the race, it could get fairly lonely.

Did the solo this year, but there was a big group of us....Eldron, sean, jcza, dipslick, jakalas, janine and we also booked our tents in sequence.

If you don't know anyone at the start then don't worry, you will know loads of people when you finish. Met blitzer on route to mount paul hanging on in the bunch.