Shocked on Ride...how is it possible?

XXL

The Bermuda Triangle or Freestate Triangle, wherever you are : "The place where all carbon bikes go"

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Happened to me and my wife on the USN Ride as well. We were shocked just before the water point and just after as we were crossing under the power lines!!! Freaky experience and totally unexpected!!!!

I have a Brookes saddle which has copper rivets in it. Riding on "Zapper" gets my arse shocked!

I live in the Mid-East, where they've built a cycling track under some low running power cables, like you describe and the same thing happens here. Haven't experienced it myself, but that's because I avoid riding there now. Electricity and I are not friends. Don't like things you can "feel" but you can't see.

http://www.thenational.ae/news/uae-news/how-cycling-in-dubai-can-make-your-hair-stand-on-end

http://www.7daysindubai.com/shocking-experience-cyclist-bike-track/story-17717468-detail/story.html

Guest Latent Blue
The Bermuda Triangle or Freestate Triangle, wherever you are : "The place where all carbon bikes go"
and all the 4mm alan keys!!!

Happened to me and my wife on the USN Ride as well. We were shocked just before the water point and just after as we were crossing under the power lines!!! Freaky experience and totally unexpected!!!!

S

Exactly the same place (see you're a WD as well)

Where is this place? I need my nuts charged! :w00t:

Just chuck your cellphone in your cycling pants with the vibrate function on!!!!

I have had exactly the same shocking experience, under some low-hanging high tension power lines near Bapsfontein. It is bizarre and pretty scary! Same zapping on the thighs, and my hands too- any part touching the bike! I have ridden this trail a few times, and the shocks are always worse when I am sweating heavily. Clearly the salt and water turns my backside into a superconductor...eina!

Yip, also had this before, several places on the Spruit where lines are low overhead give this effect on my carbon bike.

I usually ride standing with legs bowed to prevent this going under the lines.

Also been shocked but not by power lines, by accidently touching both ends of a swiss farmers cow gate and its not fun when you are all sweaty.

Quite interested to know how exactly this riding in close proximity to power lines shocks people, anyone got a scientific explanation in plain English?

It does happen, must have something to do with inductance. My wifes 26er used to shock her on the index finger on the shifter. That was an alu bike, the carbon 29er zaps her on the ankle...

it has happened to me aswell, @ red barn and samrand/brooklyn.

What i don't understand is the fact that your rubber isolates you from the ground,

so it shouldn't be possible to discharge to the ground.

So what happens is you body becomes like the secondary of an isolation transformer. There is high magnetic fields under those high voltage cables. They should have been higher or carry less power!

The dry air makes this static charge condition even better. You charge up slightly and then when your hand or inside of leg almost makes contact with your bike, it discharges to the bike.

i hate that feeling..

Edited by Skaap

static electricity.. same concept as a van der graaf generator - free electrons can loosely attach to the rubber surface of tyres and fly onto the bike, building up charge. the more static builds up, the further distance its able to jump to discharge - e.g. piece of damp grass against your leg and you touch handlebars. same reason you get shocked wearing rubber shoes on carpets (happens better in winter cos of dry air).

Happens to me every time I ride under power lines. Northern farms and that section on the spruit. Not the most pleasant feeling. Everyone I ride with thinks I am mad cause it doesnt happen to them. Its kinda wierd.

Also happened twice to me on Saturday on the 30km

Felt a sharp stinging sensation on the upper thighs and immediately stood up, I felt as if there was was thorns on my saddle.

With one my hand I felt if there is anything on my saddle, finding nothing.

This thread really clears things up and I'm glad that I'm not going crazy, imagining things and all that.