Cooking and culinary tips/recipes

Wayne Potgieter

Agreed - except that mayo goes onto chips. Not tom sauce.

isn't that a dutch thing? as in real dutch not dutchman.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HAHA! Fair enough, to each his own.

Personally I like tom sauce with burgers, wors rolls, mac and cheese and a couple of others. Prefer mayo with chips.

indeed. Each unto their own. Speaking of boerie rolls, the worst has got to be that yellow sauce they call mustard at the boerie roll stands. Should be banned.

interestingly the story about only being able to eat them in certain months is an urban legend, i think the story has something to do with their breeding season, but the story about them having worms in their meat in certain months is not true

Acaaaactually, it's all about ripening. A spotted bush chicken should ideally hang in a cool, dark place for three days before being cooked. Cannot do that in Summer (without attracting flies/maggots)

Tarentaal is awesome - you can make a potjie (with red wine and rosemary) or pie (Debone it - google 'Pepin debone chicken' to see a great vid of how to) and you can even roast it a-la flattie style with some salt, pepper and dried Rosemary.

As far as other tips goes, if you're in KZN, use sugar cane for your next sosatie sticks - peel and cut into smaller pieces :) Imparts a great flavour to any meat.

Acaaaactually, it's all about ripening. A spotted bush chicken should ideally hang in a cool, dark place for three days before being cooked. Cannot do that in Summer (without attracting flies/maggots)

Tarentaal is awesome - you can make a potjie (with red wine and rosemary) or pie (Debone it - google 'Pepin debone chicken' to see a great vid of how to) and you can even roast it a-la flattie style with some salt, pepper and dried Rosemary.

As far as other tips goes, if you're in KZN, use sugar cane for your next sosatie sticks - peel and cut into smaller pieces :) Imparts a great flavour to any meat.

My .22 is coming to the farm with me this weekend Edited by fork joe

My .22 is coming to the farm with me this weekend

De feather before or after hanging??

According to a couple of guys on the cooking channel - including gordon ramsay, its a myth that searing traps in the juices. It caramalises the sugars on the meat giving flavour, but has no effect on the juices.

Whatever it does I prefer it.

Don't do it! Gas braais suck, seriously!

I get a lot of pleasure out of mine. Bugger on maintenance though (cleaning). Trick is to clean it regularly. Out of interest, why don't you like a gas braai?

I get a lot of pleasure out of mine. Bugger on maintenance though (cleaning). Trick is to clean it regularly. Out of interest, why don't you like a gas braai?

The atmosphere of a braai is non-existent. Can just as well all stand around a gas stove in the kitchen.

I love to braai, but with work getting in the way I only get home after 6pm on a good day, then there is no time to make a fire to braai, so therefore gas is an easy option, Sundays big wood fire with litchi wood and great coals.

De feather before or after hanging??

It's easier to remove feathers afterwards. My gran told me to hang it from the tail feathers untill it falls on the ground - that normally takes three days and the dog gets a free lunch.

If you absolutely HAVE to use it fresh, leave the feathers on, cut open the crop and take out the guts. Clean with water, then stuff with tomato and onion. Cover the whole bird in 1 inch thick clay (from the nearby river) and make sure to make two nice thick 'handles' over the feet, like 2 inches thick at least. Put on fire, cover with coals, turn if needed. Once the clay cracks, the bird is done (takes around 1.5 hours) - take a leg in each hand and pulllllll. feathers will stay in clay :D Neat little bush-party trick.