Cooking and culinary tips/recipes

Wayne Potgieter

Okay, quick straw poll. How do you cook your omelettes? Browned or unblemished?

Although slightly on the brown side, here is this mornings omelette.

Filled with mozzarella, smoked chicken and mixed veg and mixed in with the egg is pepper, salt, garlic, ginger and a red salad onion. Yum.

post-35204-0-20569300-1371020364_thumb.png

Edited by Helpmytrap

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Although slightly on the brown side, here is this mornings omelette.

Filled with mozzarella, smoked chicken and mixed veg and mixed in with the egg is pepper, salt, garlic, ginger and a red salad onion. Yum.

That does indeed look good! :thumbup:

I love beans, so I play around with a number of bean recipe's...

Here's my Cowboy Beans for brekkie recipe <it's the backbone, you can add what you like>

In a thick base pan!

Large white onion, finely chopped

2 cloves garlic, finely chopped

chopped chilli, as much as you like depending on heat tollerence

EV olive oil

Bacon of your choice

Can of 4 bean mix, or any bean mix you like, but chikpeas doesn't work at all

Crushed black peper and salt

Method:

Cook the bacon till crispy place aside

Now add onions, garlic and chopped chilli to the bacon fat and fry/sweat/saute at a low heat just before the onions turn too dark in colour. The onions should be soft under a wooden spoon at this stage.

Rinse the brine from the beans or if using soaked beans, as much moisture off as possible.

Now add some EV olive oil to cover the entire pan about 3mm deep or thereabouts.

Add the beans and crispy bacon and cook slow stirring regularly for about 10 minutes on medium heat

Finally, crush the beans mixture with a fork or whatever is practical

Mix again and add more oil so the mix is not dry, but also not too moist.

Add salt and pepper to taste

Dish out in a bowl.

Now fry one or two eggs to your liking, place over beans and dig in!

Edited by Ed-Zulu

Okay, quick straw poll. How do you cook your omelettes? Browned or unblemished?

A day late, but very slightly browned.

Have not read the whole thread. Has anybody got a killer recipe for spareribs? As for steak and tjops, for me they taste the best over coals with only salt and pepper. I normally take a packet of coarse salt and a bottle of lemon pepper, pour into a resealable container and mix it well. I use this on my steak and tjops. When you turn your meat, pour on your salt mixture, and again the 2nd time when you turn your meat. Try it and let me know how your meat tastes. I have been doing this since I have been a youngster.

Have not read the whole thread. Has anybody got a killer recipe for spareribs? As for steak and tjops, for me they taste the best over coals with only salt and pepper. I normally take a packet of coarse salt and a bottle of lemon pepper, pour into a resealable container and mix it well. I use this on my steak and tjops. When you turn your meat, pour on your salt mixture, and again the 2nd time when you turn your meat. Try it and let me know how your meat tastes. I have been doing this since I have been a youngster.

I always boil my ribs in cider for about half an hour before braaing. That way they are much tenderer and have a good flavour.

I always boil my ribs in cider for about half an hour before braaing. That way they are much tenderer and have a good flavour.

Sounds lekker :thumbup: Had some ribs at Spur yesterday and they are quite tasteless :thumbdown:

Mmmmmm .... should make this again.

post-29544-0-44934200-1371037307_thumb.jpg

Reminds me of my favourite starter on the braai. Chicken liver and bacon on a skewer. Take some good Woolies livers.Take one liver. Wrap half a piece of bacon around it. put it on the skewer with the othe half of the bacon hanging off. Stick another liver on and wrap the rest of the bacon around it securing it on the skewer. Repeat until the skewer is full. smother in lemon juice and a bit of tobasco and braai.

Sounds lekker :thumbup: Had some ribs at Spur yesterday and they are quite tasteless :thumbdown:

If you like more sweetness go half cider half coke

Reminds me of my favourite starter on the braai. Chicken liver and bacon on a skewer. Take some good Woolies livers.Take one liver. Wrap half a piece of bacon around it. put it on the skewer with the othe half of the bacon hanging off. Stick another liver on and wrap the rest of the bacon around it securing it on the skewer. Repeat until the skewer is full. smother in lemon juice and a bit of tobasco and braai.

That needs a name. Devils on horseback and angels on horseback are already taken.

Edited by Tumbleweed

That needs a name. Devils on horseback and angels on horseback are already taken.

I didnt say it was original.

Anyone got good tips for the perfect 2 minute noodle? Cant quite figure if I should cook it for 2 mins or let it sit in hot water for 2 mins. :blush:

Anyone got good tips for the perfect 2 minute noodle? Cant quite figure if I should cook it for 2 mins or let it sit in hot water for 2 mins. :blush:

Ahhh...easy peasy lemon squeezy...noodles ala boarding school

Take one packet of 2min noodles and crush the content, don't pop the plastic!

Empty contents in big mug, empty flavour sachet on top of noodles

Pour boiling water to the top of the mug exactly

Take one matric maths textbook that is covered with plastic and put on top of mug

Remove textbook after 10 min

Enjoy

Edited by rouxtjie

Ahhh...easy peasy lemon squeezy...noodles ala boarding school

Take one packet of 2min noodles and crush the content, don't pop the plastic!

Empty contents in big mug, empty flavour sachet on top of noodles

Pour boiling water to the top of the mug exactly

Take one matric maths textbook that is covered with plastic and put on top of mug

Remove textbook after 10 min

Enjoy

10 minutes! So it is easy, textbook cooking then? lol.. Does it have to be matric maths. My son is in Grade 8 only.