Creecking noise

Heel Drop

where do I get copperslip ?( excuse the ignorance )

I mostly use Spanjaard which I buy from our plant's bolt supplier.

You will probably find it at Builders Warehouse.

It is also known as anti seize compound. You get various types such as copper based, nickel based, chrome based etc. The application dictates which is most suitable.

Edited by Brian Fantana

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

where do I get copperslip ?( excuse the ignorance )

Builders Warehouse, look in the car section, they have tubes (white and light pink), think it was about R40-R50 for the tube, maybe a bit less

Edit: Found a pic - made by herschell

post-18786-0-88796800-1370952042.gif

post-18786-0-98374200-1370952054.jpg

Edited by Bobbo_SA

dammm creeck im going to find it

My money is on the BB, while you have it open, feel the bearings...they must smooth, not rough

I know the seat does have a noise and the creecking noise I hear happens when I stand and peddle - so I don't think its the SEAT - although I need to lube it anyway.

Maybe the crank bolts - will check that .

If my BB was just serviced all that should be lubed and eliminates that as a possibility correct?

had an issue over the weekend after having my brakes bled by LBS. the front caliper was not properly aligned and when i stood up and pedaled the caliper and disc rubbed as a result of the increase in force

i realigned the caliper and the noise/rubbing is gone.

Don't use copper slip grease for bearings.... :ph34r: (incase I'm stating the obvious)

Only for threads (BB etc) and seatposts

also try putting some grease or copper slip inbetween the frame and the deraileur hanger.

This was the cause of a creak on a previous frame of mine

Edited by mad bout mtb

Might be the frame - bought my bike in October and had exactly the same problem! After spending a lot of cash and a few arguments with LBS the LBS suggested we send the frame back to the importer. I spoke to a couple of individuals that ride the same frame and most of them had similar problems.

Importer gave me credit for the frame and I bought another make of frame which they also import.

Not sure if I should mention the bike make - might be a bit offsides but I will never ever buy that brand again! My roadbike(same brand) is giving me similar problems but is less regular so it is difficult to prove.

ok so instead of the LBS I will be buying tools from now on - thanks for all the info will be checking this evening on all the above possibilities

Do it. :thumbup:

I have this flippen creecking noise that I hear when I peddle . This started after I a major service at my LBS .Been fedup with them I took it to another shop after a long ride on the weekend from which the noise increased significantly . I though it may be the BB so I took it to another shop saying that I think its he BB

I got it back and being in a hurry(not checking) took it home just to find the creecking noise is still there even though my BB was serviced .

What else can it be ? I am getting gatvol of taking my bike to a bike shop just to get it back with the same issue . I don't want to take it back to any shop .Its like a doc they fix what they think it is and if it does not work ( and you have paid ) then they try something else.

I want a mechanic that knows a bike and can look for a problem and fix it .

It must be something to do with the BB or the arms of the front chainrings since this is where the noise comes from , but I cannot put my finger on it

What bike is it?

Start from a point...

1. Check front wheel quick release (and that the wheel is actually tightened)

2. Check headset bearing grease (thin layer between frame and bearing)

3. Stem to fork (thin grease layer)

4. Stem to handlebar (thin grease layer)

5. Derailleur surface and frame (F&R thin grease layer)

6. Chainring bolts (lube / locktite and torqued)

7. BB thread with anti seize compound, and torqued

8. Remove your pedals, thread with anti seize compound, and torqued

9. Check Rear wheel quick release (and that the wheel is actually tightened)

10. Remove your seatpost, and CLEAN well (post and frame). Apply a THIN layer of grease or assembly compound and assemble to instructions.

11. Remove your saddle from the seatpost rails, and CLEAN well (rails and clamp). Apply a THIN layer of grease or assembly compound and assemble to instructions.

Sounds simple, but check for brake cables as well as gear cables rubbing to your frame, can be a bAtch to find, but worthwhile spending the time to look.

REMEMBER, torque everything.

Good luck.

PS, if you have suspension parts, check and torque EVEY bolt

Edited by NINER_boy

yes hardtail , the above two seem the most obvious maybe after checking the rest

my Full sus does the same...got it narrowed down to something on / in the suspension...Damn me if I can find it.... :cursing:

My creeeeking was the bearing just above the BB on the dual suspension. First serviced the BB and then realized it was the pivot bearing. Viola

My creeeeking was the bearing just above the BB on the dual suspension. First serviced the BB and then realized it was the pivot bearing. Viola

Same on my dual sus. Stripped the pivots, cleaned and greased, assembled. No more creaking