What someone is willing to pay

Butterbean

Got my first real bike on gumtree, Scott elite dual sus 29er. Went to LBS the bike was priced at 21k! The gumtree add was for 16k mailed the dude and made him a offer, he said no it was 8k! Watched the add for 2 more weeks mailed him again offered him 10k told him to take his time my offer stands for the week, this gave him another 7 days to try get his price, 4 days later he mailed me to collect the bike it was 7 months old he took a 11k hit on a 29er not including the upgrades he had done!

9 months later sold the same bike on the hub for 12k, at that time 2 more of the same bike were listed 1 at 18k, the second at 15k. Had guys lining up to buy mine sold in 1 day.

I do find most prices on the hub are high, some guy even tried to get more than the listed price from me, needed the parts for a build.

Your comment about hub pricing being high is not entirely fair as the first owner had taken a big knock on the bike and you are merely reselling a second hand bike which the owner was desperate to sell.

I sold my immaculate spark elite 29er within 2days for 18k but then again I had ac wheels with schwalbe snakeskin tires on and a carbon bar and I took a knock of about 9.5k on it after 1year

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Latent Blue
What i don't get is people who want the things almost free... Advertised a garmin edge 500 and asked for offers... Got a few of around the 1300 mark and sold for 1250 but some oaks came with offers of 400... Really...
if you sell something on the hub you must be willing to hear a guy out... you dont need to except.

This is actually part of my security measures I try to impliment... ill go rediculously low... if the guys say ok right away ill know theres something fishy...

If the guy seems legit ill just ask whats his best price and Ill go with what he says...

I've never offered less than what the item was advertised for,

pay what the seller wants, or scroll on.

I also hate it when people have ads saying "make me a offer",

stop wasting our time, say what you want.

i think ones prices should be greatly influenced by looking at supply and demand,there is no sure set way to determine prices by basing your prices as a percentage of the items new value.

I don't know if anyone has said this already but the worst is when people make the comments, "nice bike, if I had the money now I'd buy it" "pity this is not 29er" "good luck with the sale" No one cares whether you have the money or not and that you own a 29er. If it's the part/bike you want make a comment, don't waste other people's time....

Guest Latent Blue
I don't know if anyone has said this already but the worst is when people make the comments, "nice bike, if I had the money now I'd buy it" "pity this is not 29er" "good luck with the sale" No one cares whether you have the money or not and that you own a 29er. If it's the part/bike you want make a comment, don't waste other people's time....
no one was wasting your time... you were just being a box when someone made a nice comment on your product...

I do it regularly and will continue...

BOOOM

Guest Latent Blue

I just can't believe peoples intollerence!!!

"Dont reply if you dont want to buy"

"Dont make a lower offer"

What the hell. No one is holding a gun to anyones head... if a seller is unhappy with the offer or the buyer is unhappy with the price both have the damndest right to try and make a deal or just walk away!

Stop being a p*ss* and get over it!!!

Hahaha, ja you get a thick skin when selling stuff.

Don't take anything personally and always be polite..

The chop that makes the low ball offer often ends up being the guy that pays your price.... A buyer tactic as punted by a previous poster....doesn't feel so rad if you are the seller though...

I always like a encouraging comment, helps the sale, I always add a good comment if I sea good deal or an awesome thing for sale

No one here can give me a fair price, even when I ask openly for it.

So if you say fair, doesn't it mean you know the price you want anyways??

hey guys i have a makro special bike for sale, will be in the classified shortly. paid 900 for it about 5 years ago. i have done some upgrades and the bike has been ridden in the last year, my garden executive does want it anymore as he is looking to upgrade to a 29er. Looking for about 23K. Offers welcomed, and please post nice comments.

I do agree that it should be cheaper.

At the end if the day it is the seller's choice to advertise what they feel is the right price. You negotiate with the seller and find an agreed price. If the price is not agreed well they have the choice to walk away.

Funny when u see adds with no comments for weeks, the owner should take a hint at that stage.

Funny when u see adds with no comments for weeks, the owner should take a hint at that stage.

At least the days of BUMPing ads are over. Used to see ads with 20-25 BUMPs bu the seller,,, no comments by other hubbers.