What someone is willing to pay

Butterbean

What annoyed me when I sold my beautiful carbon FS bike recently was the ridiculous offers I got (50% of asking price). Excuse was always its a 26er, no resale value, you won't sell it for that price blah blah blah.

I had taken into account the fact that is was a 26er which why I was selling it for only 30% of the original retail value.

My problem was that I stared believing them and dropped my minimum price in my head. I accepted an offer of 85% of the my price. The same day I agree, someone offered me the full price.

I should have stuck by my beliefs that the price was right. It is a great bike!

Ja the classifieds is a tricky place Ratty, got to bide your time.

26" is still awesome and price is about condition and spec, even 9-speed if its good spec and not worn is valuable, I'm actually a bit bummed I went 10-speed, really not much different, same old ratios and so damn expensive for each new drivetrain. Only thing about 10 speed thats good is RD with clutches and the 2 blade cranks that have awesome chainline, all the rest is pointless, nevermind 29" blehhhhhh

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Got my first real bike on gumtree, Scott elite dual sus 29er. Went to LBS the bike was priced at 21k! The gumtree add was for 16k mailed the dude and made him a offer, he said no it was 8k! Watched the add for 2 more weeks mailed him again offered him 10k told him to take his time my offer stands for the week, this gave him another 7 days to try get his price, 4 days later he mailed me to collect the bike it was 7 months old he took a 11k hit on a 29er not including the upgrades he had done!

9 months later sold the same bike on the hub for 12k, at that time 2 more of the same bike were listed 1 at 18k, the second at 15k. Had guys lining up to buy mine sold in 1 day.

I do find most prices on the hub are high, some guy even tried to get more than the listed price from me, needed the parts for a build.

I'm selling my BH GC 2 frame large. Make me an offer and let's see how close it is to what everyone agrees is fair price.

Guest Latent Blue
I'm selling my BH GC 2 frame large. Make me an offer and let's see how close it is to what everyone agrees is fair price.
pictures or you don't have it

Joined the hub last year. I hear shouts that a person must only be allowed to ad after 100 posts. Nonsens , does it make me

a bad person cause I don't post allot. Some of the older hubbers with thousands of post are sometimes more likely to screw

you over.

Had a couple of ads last year . Some older hubbers after I checked their profiles, offered me the full amount. They did not

want to drive to me cause my profile said o posts. Okay went to a public place near their home , in both cases they pitched

up in their newest R1 000 000 cars. After agreeing on a price on the phone they came with a couple of hundreds short on

that price.

Point is buyers are also to blame. Secondly to have a thousand posts or more, does not make u a better , more honest

person than me.

Yes I learned the hard way and yes I like to read rather than post nonsense all the time.

Edited by PUCMAN

The best is a 26 inch at 20k or more.... Seriously wtf (why the face). Got to be realistic now. I have a 26 s work stumpjumper - if was to sell i wouldn't expect more than 8k. Old tech = low price. On another note selling my iPhone 1 for 6k

as you said yourself WHAT SOMEONE IS WILLING TO PAY

people heve been trading goods to willing buyers since the begining of time, clearly there is a market for people who dont know the true value of goods, this story of helping HUBBERS seriously???? JUST BECAUSE THE GUY IS ON THE SAME FORUM AS YOU, YOU THINK HE DOESNT WANT HIS MONEY??

would you prefer to get taken for a ride by a GUMTREE tycoon? find what you looking for at the price you looking for or move on, nothing on the hub is going to change LBS pricing structures trust me

Exactly! What someone is willing to pay. If you see an ad with an overpriced tag (according to you I might add), but you are interested, make the guy an offer, if you are not interested move on and don't let it bother you. The price of any product is determined in the market place, not in someone's head or in his ad. You need two parties: a willing buyer and a willing seller for a price to form. What someone wants for his products is not the price. We are human, we all want as much as possible, but that is not the price. Supply and demand plays a huge roll in determining the price of a product. If what you have for sale is very scarce you might even ask (and get) more than the suggested retail price. Some people can't wait! If they want something now they are willing to pay. The price is only determined once the sale took place. Economics 101!

GAL! Live is to short to drink cheap wine and to be bothered by overly optimistic price tags!

Guest Latent Blue
I'll easily pay any asking price if the ad has a photo of the item placed on the seller's couch
in true hub tradition

When does a deal become too good a deal?

Like group sets going for next to nothing, what is the chance it's stolen? I have recently bought a complete shimano 105 4 year old group set for the price of one new Sti from bike shop.

The person who sold it had 84 posts at the time, 2 good previous sales. And was nice when I met him, he said he got a new groupo last month and replaced it. This one has no scratches and hardly worn parts.

Very happy about my deal just hope it's not someone striping a bike for cash. Hard to tell when you trying to work out if stolen.

What i don't get is people who want the things almost free... Advertised a garmin edge 500 and asked for offers... Got a few of around the 1300 mark and sold for 1250 but some oaks came with offers of 400... Really...